No More Excuses...

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: No More Excuses...

Postby Bigeaux20 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Funny story of the weekend was in a blind where about 40 teal buzzed the blind. Hunters shoot and drop four ducks. Two spoonies and two teal. In a flock of 40 teal they pick out two spoonies. Now that's when you know you are having a bad day shooting.
Disappointment is almost always defined by ones expectations...
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:Funny story of the weekend was in a blind where about 40 teal buzzed the blind. Hunters shoot and drop four ducks. Two spoonies and two teal. In a flock of 40 teal they pick out two spoonies. Now that's when you know you are having a bad day shooting.

:lol: Wow that sucks Sponnie shields!!!! I guess it goes that way sometimes.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Oh that's just how their day was going. We limited out earlier and had spent about an hour at the boat shed consuming a cerveza or two when they called for a ride home. I went out to get them and their hunting had been tough. Each time I talked to them all I heard was, "birds just dont want to decoy, and they keep flaring off the blind", but regardless they had enough and were ready to call it a hunt. So, about 10 miuntes later I pull up to the back of the blind in the marsh about the same time 20 teal are landing in the decoys in the front. They throw a couple shells in and drop about 3. I start laughing about how I can see the birds not wanting to decoy. About that time, 6 pintails are sitting down in the decoys right in front of the blind, guns come flying out of the cases, and a single shot gets one drake. Now keep in mind, I am in a wide open boat behind the blind in the wide azz open, standing up and pointing. At this point they need just another two to finish the limit, so I ask them if they want me to go take care of something at the other blind and give them some time, to which they agree. I leave them, and not a single duck comes close to the blind. They call me to come get them AGAIN, so sure enough I pull back up to the blind, and sure enough about the time the last gun makes it into the case, here comes another group of pintails, about 12 sitting down right on top of the blind. I'm yelling and pointing almost wanting to scare them off, and they get the guns back out, load the shells, and drop two more drakes. They got their limit, and I got a hell of a good laugh.I guess that day I just smelled like a duck.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:Oh that's just how their day was going. We limited out earlier and had spent about an hour at the boat shed consuming a cerveza or two when they called for a ride home. I went out to get them and their hunting had been tough. Each time I talked to them all I heard was, "birds just dont want to decoy, and they keep flaring off the blind", but regardless they had enough and were ready to call it a hunt. So, about 10 miuntes later I pull up to the back of the blind in the marsh about the same time 20 teal are landing in the decoys in the front. They throw a couple shells in and drop about 3. I start laughing about how I can see the birds not wanting to decoy. About that time, 6 pintails are sitting down in the decoys right in front of the blind, guns come flying out of the cases, and a single shot gets one drake. Now keep in mind, I am in a wide open boat behind the blind in the wide azz open, standing up and pointing. At this point they need just another two to finish the limit, so I ask them if they want me to go take care of something at the other blind and give them some time, to which they agree. I leave them, and not a single duck comes close to the blind. They call me to come get them AGAIN, so sure enough I pull back up to the blind, and sure enough about the time the last gun makes it into the case, here comes another group of pintails, about 12 sitting down right on top of the blind. I'm yelling and pointing almost wanting to scare them off, and they get the guns back out, load the shells, and drop two more drakes. They got their limit, and I got a hell of a good laugh.I guess that day I just smelled like a duck.

Noe thats just plain CRAZY!!! But it never fails when you decide to stop the hunt this kind of thing happens.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Sounds like they shot the Chamber of Commerce's 'Y'all come back." birds. Will probably be a fine.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Sounds like they shot the Chamber of Commerce's 'Y'all come back." birds. Will probably be a fine.

Yeah I kept telling them to let them land, but they weren't listening. All days long they stayed ducked down in that pit blind and the best shooting they had all day was with everyone standing up, and me in a white T-shirt standing up in the boat drinking a beer.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:43 pm

katc_eight_day[2].jpg

Looks like good "duck weather" on the way!!!! :clapping:
D Comeaux
hunter

No More Excuses...

Postby Jarren » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:42 pm

Wish I could be out there tomorrow. Looks to be a good day to be in the blind.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Gonna be in the 20's in Arkansas 5 of the next 7 days. That should bode well for the boot state.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:Gonna be in the 20's in Arkansas 5 of the next 7 days. That should bode well for the boot state.

looks like our 2nd split may be a decent one
D Comeaux
hunter

No More Excuses...

Postby T-TOP » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:46 am

Will have reports from grand chenier shortly.. Buddies hunting while I'm stuck at work!
T-TOP
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:28 am

GONNA BE CHILLY!!!!!!

acttemp_600x405[1].jpg
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:39 am

Gota love all that PINK! Bring on the ducks boys!
AaronR
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Word is that there are a good many new ducks in the marsh, but with all this wind, you better hope they don't fall downwind cause the dog can't catch up.
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 pm

T-TOP wrote:Will have reports from grand chenier shortly.. Buddies hunting while I'm stuck at work!

Guess T-Top didn't get a good report??? :lol3:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 pm

We didn't see an exceptional flight in the freshwater edge of the marsh this morning. 'Least not my part of it. My guess being most birds were in the ag stuff to take advantage of the rains. Hoped to see some teal, but they were AWOL, too, and there were just two, both bluewings, in my blind's limits. Expect to see more big ducks with tomorrow's blue skies.

But Lord knows I don't have them figured out...
Rick Hall
hunter

No More Excuses...

Postby T-TOP » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:32 am

Not good yesterday...lot of birds early and they left the blind at 8.... Should have 3 blinds hunting today, so hope it's better.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby Bigeaux20 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Teal and Pintails in the marsh like mosquitos!
Bigeaux20
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:Teal and Pintails in the marsh like mosquitos!

Well i'll be in the blind for the next few days!!! Ready to get out of HERE!!!!
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Bigeaux20 wrote:Teal and Pintails in the marsh like mosquitos!

Only teal at my marsh blind this mornings were a few bluewings. But, then, there were no mosquitoes, either.
Rick Hall
hunter

No More Excuses...

Postby Jarren » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Our blind popped up yesterday so lookin like I'll probably be doing more brushing than hunting but looking forward to see if this front brought anything with it.
Jarren
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Jarren wrote:Our blind popped up yesterday so lookin like I'll probably be doing more brushing than hunting but looking forward to see if this front brought anything with it.

WOW!!! Not good
D Comeaux
hunter

No More Excuses...

Postby Jarren » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Yea not good. It's been put back down but is supposedly sticking up about 2ft so I'm gonna catch hell tryin to blend it in.
Jarren
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:24 pm

I woukd like to order some wind for tomorrow and Monday morning.... 10 to 15 mph or higher ANY DIRECTION!!!
D Comeaux
hunter

No More Excuses...

Postby Jarren » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Yep zero wind today until this afternoon. I'm with you I'll take anything from
Any direction tomorrow.
Jarren
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting