Shell Limits

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Shell Limits

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 am

Anyone else think that LA State and Federal Public hunting areas should begin to enforce a shell limit as most of Ark does? I know some WMAs only allow 15 shells and some Federal Refuges only allow 25 shells in Ark. I personally would love to see that in La. Would for sure cut back on all of the nonsense shooting blackbirds and sky busting every duck in sight. What are your opinions?
AaronR
hunter

Re: Shell Limits

Postby Toledo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 pm

A 20-25 shell limit would do more for public hunting than any other option out there. We were on Toledo Bend a couple weeks ago and had some of Zwolle's finest approach us from the bank and proceed to set up on top of us just before legal. They were nice foks and we ended up talking. He was so proud of the fact that each person in his group of six had shot 2-3 boxes each the morning before to get a total of 13 birds for the group. An hour after sunrise he couldnt figure out where all the birds went since "the sky was black with them yesterday".

See my post about the second split opener on Catahoula. Pretty crazy that a handful of blinds could run 4000-5000 mallards out of an area in a day. No doubt they shot 3-4 boxes per person shooting at every bird inside of 80 yards all day long. There were enough birds there that had they just picked their shots and headed in early for the day they could of done well for days to come.

Many people cant grasp the idea that every bird they sky bust at is one less bird for them to kill the next day or day after that.

It would force people to learn to slow down and not pull the trigger unless there is a likely chance of killing the bird. The end result would be more birds for everyone.
Toledo
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Toledo wrote:It would force people to learn to slow down and not pull the trigger unless there is a likely chance of killing the bird. The end result would be more birds for everyone.

Exactly! I think this is a real issue that needs to be addressed throughout the state's public hunting grounds. THEY HAVE MY VOTE!
AaronR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Agreed that would be one of the best things to ever happen here. I am for the west zone opening up 2 weeks to a month later and running that much later too.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby tb44 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Been saying we need that for 10 years. Would like to see it happen.
tb44
hunter

Shell Limits

Postby Sclf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm all far it! Way too much sky busting going on! If u can't shoot your 6 ducks with 1 box of shells, you don't deserve to have them. 15 shell limit is too low in my opinion though.
Sclf
hunter

Postby dog walker » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Well I'm not for it. I often carry about 3 boxes of shells in my bag. I never plan to shoot that many but I carry several different rounds to match the flight that day. Some days the birds are working nice and I use my standard #3's, when its all teal I shoot 4 or 5's and lastly if the birds are hanging up at 30 yards in high wind I use 1's.

I understand everyone's frustration but I'm not for more regulations imposed on me because some people are complete jackholes.
dog walker
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:20 am

dog walker wrote:Well I'm not for it. I often carry about 3 boxes of shells in my bag. I never plan to shoot that many but I carry several different rounds to match the flight that day. Some days the birds are working nice and I use my standard #3's, when its all teal I shoot 4 or 5's and lastly if the birds are hanging up at 30 yards in high wind I use 1's.

I understand everyone's frustration but I'm not for more regulations imposed on me because some people are complete jackholes.

So you are saying that you put in special shells for each different situation during the day?? I have never heard of this...Hunting where we hunt, you pretty much know what the wind is "supposed" to do and are aware of the species of ducks you encounter before you go out there. We are not talking about hunting a pit blind in a rice field or a blind in the marsh. Take as many as you want there.
AaronR
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:43 pm

AaronR wrote:
dog walker wrote:Well I'm not for it. I often carry about 3 boxes of shells in my bag. I never plan to shoot that many but I carry several different rounds to match the flight that day. Some days the birds are working nice and I use my standard #3's, when its all teal I shoot 4 or 5's and lastly if the birds are hanging up at 30 yards in high wind I use 1's.

So you are saying that you put in special shells for each different situation during the day?? I have never heard of this...Hunting where we hunt, you pretty much know what the wind is "supposed" to do and are aware of the species of ducks you encounter before you go out there. We are not talking about hunting a pit blind in a rice field or a blind in the marsh. Take as many as you want there.

I carry the same as dog walker but the heaver loads for me would be a box of 31/2" #2's or BBB for the geese depending on there activity. I can usually get the geese close enough to dispactch them with the #3's or #4's we use for ducks so i don't often use them, but it's nice to have. As he mentioned, it is probably very frustrating for you guy's that hunt public property and i don't think i could do it, but i would not like to see a shell quantity limitation for all situations. I often take shots to finish birds off on the way down or on the water that are taken by the group. I do this to avoid a mulitiple "cripple" situation for the dog if at all possible. This usually adds up in the number shots fired by me on a busy morning. I would hate to have a limit on shells.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:23 pm

D Comeaux wrote:
AaronR wrote:

I carry the same as dog walker but the heaver loads for me would be a box of 31/2" #2's or BBB for the geese depending on there activity. I can usually get the geese close enough to dispactch them with the #3's or #4's we use for ducks so i don't often use them, but it's nice to have. As he mentioned, it is probably very frustrating for you guy's that hunt public property and i don't think i could do it, but i would not like to see a shell quantity limitation for all situations. I often take shots to finish birds off on the way down or on the water that are taken by the group. I do this to avoid a mulitiple "cripple" situation for the dog if at all possible. This usually adds up in the number shots fired by me on a busy morning. I would hate to have a limit on shells.

I see where you are coming from on that. I just meant that a shell limit on WMA and Federal Refuges in La would be helpful. Other than shooting and occasional goose from a buddies pit blind I dont have a ton of experience with shooting geese so I usually just sling my 3" #2 or #3 at em when they come by in range.
AaronR
hunter

Shell Limits

Postby Sclf » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I do see where y'all are coming from also. I've never considered that. However, I've found that I can often kill with whatever shells I have with me. If you don't know what the situation will be, then bring a good all around shell. Wma's must error on the side of caution to keep hunting pressure on birds to a minimum while still giving hunters opportunity to hunt. On private land, bring a case of shells if u want, you'll only mess up your own hunting. Think about it, a box of shells gives you more than 3 shells per duck. That should be plenty.
Sclf
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm

Sclf wrote:I do see where y'all are coming from also. I've never considered that. However, I've found that I can often kill with whatever shells I have with me. If you don't know what the situation will be, then bring a good all around shell. Wma's must error on the side of caution to keep hunting pressure on birds to a minimum while still giving hunters opportunity to hunt. On private land, bring a case of shells if u want, you'll only mess up your own hunting. Think about it, a box of shells gives you more than 3 shells per duck. That should be plenty.

Im not against shell limits on public land and WMA's and i think it would help you guy's out. When i was younger i hunted deer on local WMA's and hunted ducks on local lakes so i'm well aware of the characters that use these areas. I pulled up to my blind one morning and it was still smoking. NOT FUNNY!!! I just don't see a need to impose a limit on private lease hunters. Most and i do say most lease hunters are responsible hunters. There is however the occasional renegade and or dufus!!!!! We did have one to the south of us early this year but he must have run out of shells :lol3:
Last edited by D Comeaux on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Comeaux
hunter

Shell Limits

Postby dog walker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 am

AaronR wrote:

No what I'm saying is where we hunt we can have either all teal in your face one day or only grays hanging up at the edge of the range that I'd shoot them with the loads I use for teal.

I don't fumble around swapping out shells as the day goes on. If its an average day with mixed bags of teal,grays,pintail and mottled I just use my regular load of 3's. If its all grays hanging up at 35 yards 1's work a whole lot better and save my dog some leg work.

Its like this on my land and a wma I hunt. It's all marshland but you said "all state and fed land in La". So no I don't want a limit on shells on the wma I hunt. If it would happen I'd still be there.
dog walker
hunter

Postby duck_pirate » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 am

I have no clue why there isn't a shell limit at Russel Sage (Flooded Timber). If you can't shoot your limit with 15 shells there, your either shooting at them above the trees or a worse shot than Rosa Parks with a shotgun. I'm not the best shot by no means, but when ducks commit out there they are basically in your lap.
duck_pirate
hunter

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:10 pm

AaronR wrote:Anyone else think that LA State and Federal Public hunting areas(WMA's and NWR's) should begin to enforce a shell limit

This is what I meant. I never meant private leases. Guess I should have been more clear on my suggestion.
AaronR
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 pm

Not wma's and nwr's but all public land. I got several spots on a couple lakes and the red river here, and it's getting out of control.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby dog walker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Well not all public land weather it be a WMA or a NWR is flooded timber. There are opportunities to harvest other birds than just ducks on some that I hunt.

Like I said I feel your pain but I would be opposed to a limit on ALL public land. Now if they have issues specific to certain areas and it would enhance the quality of the hunts then yes I'd be all for it.
dog walker
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:11 pm

dog walker wrote:Well not all public land weather it be a WMA or a NWR is flooded timber. There are opportunities to harvest other birds than just ducks on some that I hunt.

Like I said I feel your pain but I would be opposed to a limit on ALL public land. Now if they have issues specific to certain areas and it would enhance the quality of the hunts then yes I'd be all for it.

Then atleast limit the number of hunters or blinds allowed and put up a rule about hunting distances from others.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby dog walker » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:55 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
dog walker wrote:Well not all public land weather it be a WMA or a NWR is flooded timber. There are opportunities to harvest other birds than just ducks on some that I hunt.

Then atleast limit the number of hunters or blinds allowed and put up a rule about hunting distances from others.

Now that is something that I'm not opposed to and I think no one would have issue with since it seems common courtesy and sense is often left behind at the truck when some folks drop their boats in the water.
dog walker
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:09 pm

definately needs to be 25 on all federal refuges and 15 on a select few wma's for sure
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Not for it at all. If someone wants to haul a case or two out every day it's fine with me. I like to at least take enough with me that when someone sets up too close to me I can shoot enough to ruin their hunt too. Heck I've killed enough ducks in my life that sometimes it's much more fun to screw with all the self righteous a holes that think their way is the only right way to hunt a duck.

Most of you spook more ducks with your calling than two or three guys shooting crows and black birds do.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:Not for it at all. If someone wants to haul a case or two out every day it's fine with me. I like to at least take enough with me that when someone sets up too close to me I can shoot enough to ruin their hunt too. Heck I've killed enough ducks in my life that sometimes it's much more fun to screw with all the self righteous a holes that think their way is the only right way to hunt a duck.

Most of you spook more ducks with your calling than two or three guys shooting crows and black birds do.

Its not fun when some dumb @$$ ruins a hunt. If you cant get a limit with 10-15 shells go home, b/c you don't know what you're doing.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:04 am

Lakes are getting too crowded. If half the people get so pissed that they never come back that's a good thing.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am

A5Mag12 wrote:Lakes are getting too crowded. If half the people get so pissed that they never come back that's a good thing.

Agreed. I have watched skybusting and poor duck calling getting worse and worse evey year. This year it jumped through the roof, there is a lot more hunters this year that are new and/or completely suck and think they know everything.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 am

A5Mag12 wrote:Not for it at all. If someone wants to haul a case or two out every day it's fine with me. I like to at least take enough with me that when someone sets up too close to me I can shoot enough to ruin their hunt too. Heck I've killed enough ducks in my life that sometimes it's much more fun to screw with all the self righteous a holes that think their way is the only right way to hunt a duck.

This is a prime example of why we need more restrcitions on certain public grounds. Anyone who purposely aims to ruin another hunters day should be banned from that area. You sir are one that gives duck hunters a bad rep and al of us REAL hunters hate hunters like you. Why would you sacrifice a day on the water to ruin another mans hunt? My guess is since you say you have killed plenty of ducks that you are young and from NW La. Correct me if I am wrong.

rebelp74 wrote:Not wma's and nwr's but all public land. I got several spots on a couple lakes and the red river here, and it's getting out of control.

This is a whole different animal. Public lakes and rivers have statewide regs to my knowledge and they will not ever enforce a shell limit, period. Blinds, lets not even go there...This thread will end up locked just as all of the others when NW La boys get to fighting over White House and Wallace Lake..
AaronR
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting