Duck Dynasty side effects

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby duck_pirate » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 am

The show is great no doubt probably the only reality TV show that is not filled with trash and supports great Christian morals, but man I have never seen so many amateur duck hunters on public land in my life this year (Monroe area). It's a good thing this show has introduced people to duck hunting, but these guys out here think they are the next Phil Robertson. They have no clue what they are doing by calling like a duck with an acorn stuck in its throat, to shooting at ducks in the clouds. Like I said earlier I love the show, but man it's like a dang circus out here.
User avatar
duck_pirate
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: North Louisiana


Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 am

I dont love the show. I loved Benelli Presents Duck Commander.

Now its all f'ed up. I refuse to watch Duck Dynasty.
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby johnmoses » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:44 am

I love it! !!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
johnmoses
hunter
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:24 pm

It ain't just in that area, I haven't seen this many duck hunters in my area in years. It's ridiculous and 90% of them have no clue what they are doing. Skyblasting, over blowing a duck a call, I even had 5 kids try to steel some decoys while I was in the blind. :mad: The worst part of it is they were packed in a narrow 12' aluminum boat w/ a tiller handle trolling motor on the back. If it would've been a windy day they wouldn't made it home.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby daffy... » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:43 pm

So many huge beards at the boat ramp this year
User avatar
daffy...
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1997
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: merrymeeting bay

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

And face paint is running rampent!
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby adamdu82 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 pm

I think the show is "ok." The only reason i watch it sometimes is because i have a tolerance for that kind of humor and it has something to do with duck hunting, and there are hardly ever any duck hunting shows on tv. If this show is developing this kind of following though as i now assume it is......i think its stupid and probably will further ruin this sport with more unethical and idiotic "so called" hunters.
adamdu82
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 am

adamdu82 wrote:I think the show is "ok." The only reason i watch it sometimes is because i have a tolerance for that kind of humor and it has something to do with duck hunting, and there are hardly ever any duck hunting shows on tv. If this show is developing this kind of following though as i now assume it is......i think its stupid and probably will further ruin this sport with more unethical and idiotic "so called" hunters.


It actually has NOTHING to do with duck hunting..I dont think one episode has shown them actually shoot a duck...
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby duck_pirate » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 pm

AaronR wrote:[
It actually has NOTHING to do with duck hunting..I dont think one episode has shown them actually shoot a duck...


But the whole show is about duck hunters who became very sucessful in the duck business, and viwers want a part of that. Just like Swamp People, many people (mostly teenagers) got in trouble for going out and trying to be the next Troy Landry by hooking aligators out of season and with no tags.
User avatar
duck_pirate
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:38 pm
Location: North Louisiana

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby adamdu82 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:02 pm

Yea i never said i saw them duck hunting ,just that its related to duck hunting........ the show sometimes shows good shots of the area around Monroe and you see some things that are related to duck hunting. Its entertaining if nothing else. Probably will see a lot of idiot kids getting caught duck hunting out of season and on private property. Probably a revenue booster for the state thru fines nonetheless.
adamdu82
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby AaronR » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:34 am

adamdu82 wrote:Yea i never said i saw them duck hunting ,just that its related to duck hunting........ the show sometimes shows good shots of the area around Monroe and you see some things that are related to duck hunting. Its entertaining if nothing else. Probably will see a lot of idiot kids getting caught duck hunting out of season and on private property. Probably a revenue booster for the state thru fines nonetheless.


Yea it has for sure made duck hunting sales go up all over the country. And tickets too! I saw 2 groups of kids getting tickets last weekend. Not sure what they were for but im sure it was something they knew they were wrong for.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby POKER1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 pm

daffy... wrote:So many huge beards at the boat ramp this year



That aint no lie. Beards, Drake camo and face paint evrywhere................. lol.
User avatar
POKER1
hunter
 
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby AaronR » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:01 am

POKER1 wrote:
daffy... wrote:So many huge beards at the boat ramp this year



That aint no lie. Beards, Drake camo and face paint evrywhere................. lol.


Dont forget the black hoodies!
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm

I have been reading about this duck commander craze and copy cats in this forum but only today did I have the fortune of a sighting. I was north of Mobile Alabama this morning and stopped in at a conveience store and WOW, in front of me there stands the commander twins!!! Matching new waders, new matching camo shirts, new matching camo caps, beards (although not scruffy but well groomed) and of course the face paint.
They were standing at the beverage counter pouring themselves each a latte!!! I was remembering all of the comments in the forum and it took all I had not to LAUGH OUT LOAD!!! It was such an awesome experence :no: I bet they were wondering why I had such a big :biggrin: on my face. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
User avatar
D Comeaux
hunter
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby Slash LaReux » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:35 pm

POKER1 wrote:
daffy... wrote:So many huge beards at the boat ramp this year



That aint no lie. Beards, Drake camo and face paint evrywhere................. lol.



It's the same here, face paint EVERY where just waiting to see it on the dog....
Speaking of dogs is that a Boykin in your sig?
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby MartinTheDuck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 am

rebelp74 wrote:And face paint is running rampent!



So you don't conceal your face when you are in the blind?
MartinTheDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 am

MartinTheDuck wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:And face paint is running rampent!



So you don't conceal your face when you are in the blind?

Not in the blind, if you're in a properly brushed blind you don't need it. Sometimes I will if I'm hunting timber or a bayou. Even then, I don't use face paint. I use burnt wine corks, easier to clean and not as thick.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby MartinTheDuck » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:07 am

rebelp74 wrote:
MartinTheDuck wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:And face paint is running rampent!



So you don't conceal your face when you are in the blind?

Not in the blind, if you're in a properly brushed blind you don't need it. Sometimes I will if I'm hunting timber or a bayou. Even then, I don't use face paint. I use burnt wine corks, easier to clean and not as thick.



Gotcha.
Most mornings were spent throwing up nets and piling on cover for us and our field caught heavy pressure, so we piled on the whole 9 to get covered. I didn't even mess with hunting timber this year b/c everyday it was LITERALLY PACKED! Went to actually try to hunt it on a Wednesday around 11 p.m and there were at least 20 trucks/trailers in the lot.

Opening day me, my buddy and his dad went to a nice pothole pond he'd been scouting for a few months. Ducks were looking SO promising the friday morning before shooting. This hole is big enough for 2 groups if y'all coordinate beforehand, and one group makes a stout hike to the other side. Anyhow, we set up @ 4am saturday morning and about 5am a group of 3 kiddos come and set about 150 yards away, FACING TOWARDS US! Ducks start flying in how we anticipated, come right over our spread, make the turn to light, and BAM! kiddos peppered us all morning. Case of the red ass SO bad. We heard em all morning saying "damn those guys are close to us!"
MartinTheDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 am

MartinTheDuck wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
MartinTheDuck wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:And face paint is running rampent!



So you don't conceal your face when you are in the blind?

Not in the blind, if you're in a properly brushed blind you don't need it. Sometimes I will if I'm hunting timber or a bayou. Even then, I don't use face paint. I use burnt wine corks, easier to clean and not as thick.



Gotcha.
Most mornings were spent throwing up nets and piling on cover for us and our field caught heavy pressure, so we piled on the whole 9 to get covered. I didn't even mess with hunting timber this year b/c everyday it was LITERALLY PACKED! Went to actually try to hunt it on a Wednesday around 11 p.m and there were at least 20 trucks/trailers in the lot.

Opening day me, my buddy and his dad went to a nice pothole pond he'd been scouting for a few months. Ducks were looking SO promising the friday morning before shooting. This hole is big enough for 2 groups if y'all coordinate beforehand, and one group makes a stout hike to the other side. Anyhow, we set up @ 4am saturday morning and about 5am a group of 3 kiddos come and set about 150 yards away, FACING TOWARDS US! Ducks start flying in how we anticipated, come right over our spread, make the turn to light, and BAM! kiddos peppered us all morning. Case of the red ass SO bad. We heard em all morning saying "damn those guys are close to us!"


What part of the state do you hunt?
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby MartinTheDuck » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:02 am

Northeast LA. Next on the list of purchases is a boat to go drop in the Mississippi and be absolved of this bullshit. Even WHAM was full of crap for me this season. Either I played my cards wrong, or just got screwed. My strategy for next season is in it's infancy at the moment, but it involves putting in summer work at a buddies camp in Arcadia AND trying to hunt some dry fields. We'll see in another 9ish months.
MartinTheDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby TimberMan34 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:21 pm

I hunt all public land and I have never seen the amount of people before. There was 50 trucks on a weekday at Russell Sage this season and people behind every tree for most of the season. I will paint my face in my timber holes but I aint one of the Duck Dynasty followers. I liked the actual Duck Commander better. But I do have a lot of Duck Commander stuff like decoys and clothing but I got that stuff for nothing because we have a connection to them and they give us deals. But everywhere I went there was people everywhere and more people trying to see where the shooting was and then setting up right beside you. It was not a good year for trying to keep anything secret.
I saw it right off, didnt put enough dirt down
TimberMan34
hunter
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm
Location: Farmerville,Louisiana

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby AaronR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:43 pm

MartinTheDuck wrote:Northeast LA. Next on the list of purchases is a boat to go drop in the Mississippi and be absolved of this bullshit. Even WHAM was full of crap for me this season. Either I played my cards wrong, or just got screwed. My strategy for next season is in it's infancy at the moment, but it involves putting in summer work at a buddies camp in Arcadia AND trying to hunt some dry fields. We'll see in another 9ish months.


Yea im in the same part of the state and it was terrible with people peppering us. Next season though, as you are, I have a strategy in the works to end that mess without leaving the public hunting. You have access to fields in Arcadia? Like grain fields? Cant say I have ever seen any over that way. I do know some guys that hit some beaver ponds over there and kill em pretty good several times each year.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby MartinTheDuck » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:11 am

AaronR wrote:Yea im in the same part of the state and it was terrible with people peppering us. Next season though, as you are, I have a strategy in the works to end that mess without leaving the public hunting. You have access to fields in Arcadia? Like grain fields? Cant say I have ever seen any over that way. I do know some guys that hit some beaver ponds over there and kill em pretty good several times each year.



I've got access to a couple hundred acres just north of arcadia, a little outside the WMA. Have a long summer ahead putting in the work though. There's 3 HUGE ponds out there, so about to delve into some blind construction and planting. Should be interesting! And yea, there is grain out that way just not sure how much we are working with. The land belongs to a good friends father and he just gave the okay to go out and do whatever I want.
MartinTheDuck
hunter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Re: Duck Dynasty side effects

Postby AaronR » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:08 am

MartinTheDuck wrote:
AaronR wrote:Yea im in the same part of the state and it was terrible with people peppering us. Next season though, as you are, I have a strategy in the works to end that mess without leaving the public hunting. You have access to fields in Arcadia? Like grain fields? Cant say I have ever seen any over that way. I do know some guys that hit some beaver ponds over there and kill em pretty good several times each year.



I've got access to a couple hundred acres just north of arcadia, a little outside the WMA. Have a long summer ahead putting in the work though. There's 3 HUGE ponds out there, so about to delve into some blind construction and planting. Should be interesting! And yea, there is grain out that way just not sure how much we are working with. The land belongs to a good friends father and he just gave the okay to go out and do whatever I want.


Sound like a golden opportunity.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests