Water

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Water

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:39 pm

How is the last big rains and high water affecting your late season hunts?
D Comeaux
hunter

Re: Water

Postby T-TOP » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:55 am

Hunted yesterday, killed all divers except 4 greys. Water was over top of blind which put it at mid thigh. We shot better than average it was kind of slow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358081713.149841.jpg
T-TOP
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Apparently just a matter of time until mine joins our other marsh blinds that have popped and my guys are hunting out of the boat. Meanwhile, the high water has altered or erased(?) normal little duck flyways over normally bigger water away from my pothole and given us the most teal gunning we've had this season. Which is a darn good thing, as we've shot just one mallard in the past three mornings. Keep waiting for the bottom to drop completely out of our shooting in the marsh, because most possible food sources are well under water and the abundance of newly available feed in rain flooded ag lands, but we've been blessed with strong hunting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Apparently just a matter of time until mine joins our other marsh blinds that have popped and my guys are hunting out of the boat. Meanwhile, the high water has altered or erased(?) normal little duck flyways over normally bigger water away from my pothole and given us the most teal gunning we've had this season. Which is a darn good thing, as we've shot just one mallard in the past three mornings. Keep waiting for the bottom to drop completely out of our shooting in the marsh, because most possible food sources are well under water and the abundance of newly available feed in rain flooded ag lands, but we've been blessed with strong hunting.

Wow!!! I hope your blind hangs in there man!!!! Just one more week left and too close to the fininsh for that stuff. As you know my blind is flooded over as well so my son and i hunted the north south levee yesterday with the decoys set at the blind. We got lucky with a nice mixed bag and a spec. Today we didin't have the luck with the birds braeaking off of the decoys in the right direction. I wish we could have been sitting in the blind for both hunts!!! Alot of teal, big flights of gadwall just alot of birds around that want to work. Whats up with all the JACKS!! Tons of um!!!
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Might be the jacks that were in the marsh from the last week of the first split until the high water, we're not seeing nearly as many as we had. Been trying to pass them, because my guys were from Georgia jack country, but haven't had much opportunity to do otherwise, either. Has been nearly all greenwings, grays and spoons lately, with just one mallard in the past five days.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:25 pm

D comeaux, Rick where you guys hunt?
Town or area not specific. We have blinds in grand chenier, hunt with a buddy in creole, and with my brother in 4 mile square.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:29 pm

T-TOP wrote:D comeaux, Rick where you guys hunt?
Town or area not specific. We have blinds in grand chenier, hunt with a buddy in creole, and with my brother in 4 mile square.

I'm Just southwest of Gueydan
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 am

And a little further SW of Gueydan right now. Work for Doug's Hunting Lodge with stuff in JD, Vermillion, Acadia and Camron parishes.

Blind popped, fun afternoon ahead...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:27 pm

sorry to hear that rick. 1-week left and sinking blinds... not fun at all! hope to be back at wednesday through sunday this week. will post results.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:33 pm

as a duck flies we are not that far apart... i am about 2 miles south of little pecan lake.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Rick Hall wrote:And a little further SW of Gueydan right now. Work for Doug's Hunting Lodge with stuff in JD, Vermillion, Acadia and Camron parishes.

Blind popped, fun afternoon ahead...

NOT GOOD RICK!!! That bites!!!
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Jarren » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Our blind is under water and so is our whole field. We ran layouts this Friday and Saturday and did fair. Had a decent strap Saturday but hunted until 1:00 to get it.

I was impressed with the amount of birds in the area but most seemed to be unresponsive.

Picked up all of our gear. May try and make one last hunt out of a layout this weekend after all this rain clears up. If I have a place to get out of the water.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Jarren » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Sorry to hear about your blind popping up like the rest Rick.

As you know we had just gotten ours back in the ground and now it's under water but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Certainly the way it's gone this time. Spent a pleasant afternoon bobbing for anchor chains in the wind, rain and chop and can't imagine doing it again if the band aids don't hold. Even if it's still down in the morning, I'll be scouting for suitable boat hides just in case...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:03 pm

Water spigot turned on, duck spigot turned off!! Rising water caused by winter rains always pulls ducks out of our marsh into ag fields and flooded pastures. Oh how I long for the days of the first split'
Sclf
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Sclf wrote:Water spigot turned on, duck spigot turned off!! Rising water caused by winter rains always pulls ducks out of our marsh into ag fields and flooded pastures. Oh how I long for the days of the first split'

Our "spigot" apparently took that twist this morning. After a week of easy marsh limits despite pasture and high rice ground sheet water being covered with ducks, we did well to take home four birds today. Yesterday's was the best teal and big duck show of the lot, today nothing but a very few stragglers.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Sclf wrote:Water spigot turned on, duck spigot turned off!! Rising water caused by winter rains always pulls ducks out of our marsh into ag fields and flooded pastures. Oh how I long for the days of the first split'

Our "spigot" apparently took that twist this morning. After a week of easy marsh limits despite pasture and high rice ground sheet water being covered with ducks, we did well to take home four birds today. Yesterday's was the best teal and big duck show of the lot, today nothing but a very few stragglers.

Well i'm going to go to the blind Saturday to see whats going on. I don't think i'm going to bail the blind out for a while. It's where it needs to be, just full of water. We'll set up where we can.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby mallardman2256 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm

the big rains have flooded alot of timber up here in NE pushing up fresh acorns. along with this last cold front the conditions here could not have been better! :thumbsup:
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby Joe-Nathan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm

D Comeaux wrote:How is the last big rains and high water affecting your late season hunts?

Public Land - Basin
Well I now got water in places that I have not been able to access for a couple of seasons. The wood ducks are amazing (easy woodie limits). Big ducks are just now finding them. But I got to wait until next weekend b/c I am closing out the coastal zone at my companies lease this weekend.
"The difference between death and taxes is death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)
Joe-Nathan
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting