Is GRASS a problem where you hunt?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: Is GRASS a problem where you hunt?

Postby alans » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Is Wallace lake in mindens district? If so the guy you talked to was Evan Thames. He was over Turkey creek drawdown. He was my boss. See if u can cause a uproar to get galleon by sepro chemical. I've seen it work in Turkey creek. You just pour it in the water. He sprayed diquat on salvinia and its 100 a gallon. Sprayed 25 gallons a day 4 days a week. It would be more cost effective for galleon
alans
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:03 pm

alans wrote:Is Wallace lake in mindens district? If so the guy you talked to was Evan Thames. He was over Turkey creek drawdown. He was my boss. See if u can cause a uproar to get galleon by sepro chemical. I've seen it work in Turkey creek. You just pour it in the water. He sprayed diquat on salvinia and its 100 a gallon. Sprayed 25 gallons a day 4 days a week. It would be more cost effective for galleon

Think his name was Ricky but not sure. I dont blaim them, they have tried hard for a few years now but what he threw out there was total BS if you know anything about how things flow around this particular lake. I dont know what the answer is because I think its here to stay. Only thing I saw that had a major effect was ice. Last ice 3-4 seasons ago killed most of it off. That spring I did not see it anywhere on the lake. But by end of summer it was back with a vengance.
POKER1
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 pm

alans wrote:Is Wallace lake in mindens district? If so the guy you talked to was Evan Thames. He was over Turkey creek drawdown. He was my boss. See if u can cause a uproar to get galleon by sepro chemical. I've seen it work in Turkey creek. You just pour it in the water. He sprayed diquat on salvinia and its 100 a gallon. Sprayed 25 gallons a day 4 days a week. It would be more cost effective for galleon

Good googly moogly............... At about $2500.00 per gallon I can see why Galleon is not being used.
POKER1
hunter

Postby alans » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Compared to one crew spending 2500 a day plus salaries and gas 4 days a week. Its nothing. Galleon would save money. Only down side is you gamble. If you get a big rain, you lose it. You pour it in the water and it disperses. Cheaper in the long run for galleon
alans
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 pm

alans wrote:Compared to one crew spending 2500 a day plus salaries and gas 4 days a week. Its nothing. Galleon would save money. Only down side is you gamble. If you get a big rain, you lose it. You pour it in the water and it disperses. Cheaper in the long run for galleon

How would it disperse on the solid mats we have? Seem it couldn't reach inside.
POKER1
hunter

Postby alans » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 am

You would have to put it in several different areas. Have to get the cubic foot of water in certain area you want to treat to get application rate. We used pirogues, waders, outboards, and surface drives to get in areas to treat it. The best idea would be to boom off a certain area and treat it. Then move to the next. It is also kills water hyacinth and doesn't affect good plants like coon tail. I don't remember if it killed duck weed. Two major drawbacks are a big rain would waste it snd it takes a month for it to kill it. So you pretty much have yo pray that we don't get a huge rain in that time period
alans
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 am

The floating matt is out biggest issue! Once it takes over an area the only way that you can rid an area of it is to drain the lake bed and then do aerial spraying or burn it. When it becomes a problem over huge areas as is the case with many WMA's in central La. then your screwed because fisherman are dead set against several years of draw downs during the spring and summer to rid these floating matt's from the best duck hunting areas.
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby alans » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Draw Downs won't work unless it is completely dry. Just a little moisture will plants will stay alive. Plant will be brown all over except have a light green spot where its drawing moisture. Back pack spraying is key due to its inaccessible by boat. Lakes should be on a a every five year draw down plan. Would make for better fishing. Won't help water hyacinth though. It eill just anchor its roots in the ground and wait on water to come back
alans
hunter

Postby AaronR » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 pm

How will a draw down every 5 years make fishing better? It has ruined Lake Darbonne in my opinion. I think they are pulling it down 6' every 4 years. As soon as the 20+ pound bags return in tournaments, they pull it down and it's back to 13-15lb bags. The taxidermy is full of big fish every time they draw it down. I don't understand how this helps fishing...
AaronR
hunter

Postby alans » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm

It is mainly used to make the bottom in shallow areas hard. Lets all the leaves and other vegetation decay. Fish like to have a hard bottom to spawn.
alans
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:55 am

Once in 5 years won't help at first on the WMA's I hunt. It will need to be done for 3 consecutive years if not 5 IMO and then the situation can be monitored for what effective maintencance will actually be needed.

Draw downs also actually help shrink the lake bottom where silt is a big problem.
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby adamdu82 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 pm

Well, grass isn't a problem where we hunt because all of the marsh is washing away and the salt water intrusion constantly killing off any duck grass that was there. Its really terrible that most of us duck hunters can't even just enjoy the habitat we hunt and have to deal with all of this nonsense brought on by manipulation of mother nature. It sucks.
adamdu82
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
T-TOP wrote:...salvinia being the worse of the two. have not had personal issues where i hunt but know guys that have ponds completly choked with salvinia...locations are mostly coastal marshes, fresh and salt. no expert just repeating what i have heard and read.

The aquatic plant guys here may correct me, but I don't believe it's salt tolerant.

it's not...very little salt will kill it.
The maupas swamps south east of gonzales all the way to lake ponchatrain are chocked off with salvania....killed the swamp for ducks....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Hawkeye76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:11 pm

From what I have gathered, they had salvinia here on BAFB years ago and killed it. The folks who hunted it then and now say the duck hunting hasn't been near as good. I don't know what they used or anything, but I think some chemicals are better than others. I had to work against salvinia when I was gator hunting, and it sucked.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby TimberMan34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 am

The grass problem is always a huge topic whether duck hunting or fish or just boating. I personally know wildlife and fisheries has people that go out and spray and kill aqautic vegitation everyday. There is no way to actually kill every plant in the water. And the draw downs in the lake arent good for the fishing. There have been draw downs and darbone and turkey creek and you still see grass after the water comes back up. It will always be an issue unless we start having extremely cold winters
I saw it right off, didnt put enough dirt down
TimberMan34
hunter

Postby alans » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Drawdowns in the long run help for fishing. As far as a controlling vegetation, if it was extremely cold during a drawdown, like below freezing for 3 days it would help tremendously. When it got so cold in 2009-2010 it knocked alot of it back without a drawdown. Can't imagine what would have happened with a drawdown. Its really not worth leaving it lowered in the winter because it would be a gamble. Tons of rain or no cold and it would waste a good duck season.
alans
hunter

Previous

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting