Cat Island

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Cat Island

Postby lsu_engr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:40 am

Going to be in Saint Francisville on Friday and Saturday. Just wondering if there is enough water up there to make a duck hunt. Or if there is too much water and it is closed. Does anyone know?
lsu_engr
hunter

Re: Cat Island

Postby LAvenator » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 am

I hunted on the private portion of Cat Island this weekend, and the water level was just right, though it was falling quickly. The water there was rain water, so I'm not sure when, or if, the river will flood the island, in which case I would assume the NWR would shut down. The river level is close, I think.
LAvenator
hunter

Postby lsu_engr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Ended up calling the office. Closed past the Blue Goose trail to vehicles. Would it be worth it to go out there? Would have to walk from Blue Goose on or hunt the north end.
lsu_engr
hunter

Postby southmscamo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm

That water is up and pouring in fast. I didn't hunt this morning because the water is almost too high everywhere. So I doubt you'll be able to find a hole thats not flooded. All my holes were under water.
southmscamo
Newb

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting