Fulvous whistling duck

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Fulvous whistling duck

Postby tknight006 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Just curious if fulvous were common in La? I grew up in south la and never saw one, but they are pretty common in south Florida

-Trey
Prostaff application pending
tknight006
hunter

Re: Fulvous whistling duck

Postby TimberMan34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:34 pm

They usually come through right before teal season and during teal season. But usually leave before hunting season
I saw it right off, didnt put enough dirt down
TimberMan34
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm

They're quite common Summer residents here in Southwest LA, but as stated, most are gone South before the big duck season in normal years.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Sclf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:28 am

That's what was so crazy about this year. We shot them up until the last day! I've never seen that before. As stated above, it's rare to see them after teal season. We usually see some late migrators early in the first split. But, this year they were here all year.
Sclf
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Probably speaks to another winter that wasn't. The 6 fulvous my blind shot all came in the second split, and I heard of folks around Little Chenier shooting them regularly all season.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 am

There had started to be a bunch of them nesting on several lakes in the NW area of the state before the salvinia choked out any open water. We had started having quite a few up here through the first 2 or 3 weeks of the season. They would leave when it got good and cold but by frog season would be all over the place.

They did not use to be around here. We never saw them in my younger years. But we never saw pelicans either and now they are all over toledo bend and the red now.
A5Mag12
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting