SPECS

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

SPECS

Postby D Comeaux » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:02 pm

I had cleaned my gun, put the decoys away and had called it quits for the year...... but i can't take it anymore!!! This is the last weekend for specs and I've got to go. The last couple of weeks of the duck season we had very HIGH water and a flooded blind, so I'm hoping it's down enough to get a better set up. I know that the blind is still flooded, so it's going to be a hunt from the levee in "da" brush. Just hope there is a body of specs in the area?

Has anyone been out chasing the specs? POST SOME PICS!!!!
D Comeaux
hunter

Re: SPECS

Postby Jarren » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm in the same boat as you. It's killing me not to go. I was thinking about trying it out the layouts again but it's a long drive by yourself.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Gather you've seen my speck-only season photos in the log already. Saw a slew of them this morning, all knowing exactly where they were going and how to get there safely. Had but three come to the call and only one of that trio fell dead.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Gather you've seen my speck-only season photos in the log already. Saw a slew of them this morning, all knowing exactly where they were going and how to get there safely. Had but three come to the call and only one of that trio fell dead.

Did see the photos...can't stay out of there :thumbsup:

It was a nice morning to be out there. Had a great duck show and did have a nice body of specs about a 1/2 mile to our east. It didn't take long however, for someone to flush them out riding on a quad :mad: Sounded like a duck and goose farm before LST.
I wish I could have photographed the ducks that were around us. Large groups would rise,circle and dive back in. Did see a large number of geese as well. We were able to break a few down and have them work, but did not commit. Enjoyable hunt nontheless!!!
DSCN0230.JPG

DSCN0233.JPG

DSCN0232.JPG

These are just a few from the several large groups around us fueling up. FAT and HAPPY!!!!!!!

DSCN0235.JPG

DSCN0236.JPG
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby dwr353 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:02 am

Went Sunday morning for the last hunt. 4 hunters, 6 specks and 5 blues. Missed several and passed on some waiting for the perfect shot. Had a great morning and saw large numbers of geese and ducks. Hunted north of Kaplan.
dwr353
hunter

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Hunted south of gueydan saturday and couldnt of been better. According to DU this is the latest goose migration ever recorded.
Done with the specks now time to hammer the snows. :hammer:
Attachments
spec hunt 2013.JPG
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:11 pm

Sucked not to speck hunt this morning. They worked so pretty this year I could almost give up my marsh blind to get back after them more often in a field blind. Almost.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Sucked not to speck hunt this morning. They worked so pretty this year I could almost give up my marsh blind to get back after them more often in a field blind. Almost.

We did pretty good on specs compared to last year. If we had a "dry" field next to us that was set for geese, it would surrrrrre be a hard decision for me to make every morning. I would have to say that the ducks would PROBABLY win out more often than not?
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby sfc711 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 pm

Anyone have a place to hunt snows, I am retired disabled Vet and can hunt any day but Wed and sunday. Have 2 layout blinds. thanks, Gary
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting