Nav lights on duck boats?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Nav lights on duck boats?

Postby MartinTheDuck » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 am

Straight forward... are nav lights required on duck boats in Louisiana? I'm in a 12 foot boat with a 2 hp long tail.
MartinTheDuck
hunter

Re: Nav lights on duck boats?

Postby Big Hutch » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 am

Straight up. If you are on public water before legal sunrise or after legal sunset you are required to have navigation lights. Doesn't matter duck boat or fishing boat. The same rules apply. It is also the same with PFDs. Whatever the boating regulations say for the size boat you are in.

Hope this helps.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 pm

A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:50 am

Sraight up.....YES!!!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:33 am

I hunt Catahoula Lake and we travel Old River to get to our blind. On opening morning and practically anytime you travel before daylight, eight out of ten boats you encounter do not have running lights. Many of these boats are large fast bass boats. Some carry spot lights. My biggest fear is some idiot crashing into another boat and someone drowning. Only by the grace of our Lord has this not happened yet.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby AaronR » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:54 am

I actually presented this question to the GWs recently bc where I hunt you see more boats without lights or PFDs on than with them. And the GWs out there checking licenses and all that stuff pay no attention to lights...craziness in my eyes. If they want to enforce any laws they need to enforce them all in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
AaronR
hunter

Postby duckhammer74 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Go to the LDWF site. All motorized boats/vessels operating in state waters require navigation lights. Also for your length of boat and the fact that you have a tiller motor you are required to wear your pfd underway.
If you don't have lights and need some, don't buy those battery operated ones. Once they've been in the wet enviornment they start corrodeing.
You can install permanent lights and a light weight rechargeable power source for about $50.00

Be safe.
duckhammer74
Newb

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting