Any Marsh Hen hunters out there in Louisiana?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Any Marsh Hen hunters out there in Louisiana?

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 am

Any Marsh Hen hunters out there?

I realize that many waterfowlers in LA probably have not hunted marsh hens in their life, however there is some shallow impoundments and flooded rice fields where you can pole your boat, or use a Kayak to hunt this early season marsh bird. Really some excellent shooting for rail along the Atlantic Seacoast inshore saltmarsh, however it takes a very high flood tide to move the birds out of the Spartina grass.

Regards,

Joe Guide
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: Any Marsh Hen hunters out there in Louisiana?

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:26 am

We rail hunters are rare in Louisiana, and I know no one who pushes for them as folks do on the East Coast. In my own case I'll rarely bother rails unless someone from away wants to try an afternoon of something different or I find a fair concentration of kings to work the dog on. Which is how I'll hunt them: over a dog in flooded rice or pasture with decent footing. Generally don't bother the Virginias or Sora's when by myself, because they're not fun to gun and hardly a mouthful:
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting