Predictions

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Predictions

Postby AaronR » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:33 pm

As season is fast approaching I can't help but wonder what it will be like. In my book it can't too last years season as it was the best I have seen. We all saw the reports from DU and DW saying duck numbers were down from last year too. Although it may not top last year I still predict a good season.

What are you guys thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
AaronR
hunter

Re: Predictions

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 am

Think me and mine are going to take it as it comes and have a lot of fun regardless.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby AaronR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:01 am

Yea I agree with you Rick. Can't wait to see my new dog in action!

AaronR
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:33 am

Last year was one of the worst I've seen in the last 45+ years of hunting. With the current condition of the lakes in the area I don't expect this season will be much different.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am

If we don't get some serious rain before season around here, any brake with water is going to be good.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby AaronR » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:01 am

A5Mag12 wrote:Last year was one of the worst I've seen in the last 45+ years of hunting. With the current condition of the lakes in the area I don't expect this season will be much different.

I saw those pictures of the grass issue you guys face. That sucks. Our lakes in NE portion dont have anything like that yet. But I don't really hunt lakes either..

AaronR
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

I've learned to not make predictions because they are always wrong for somebody, somewhere, and I'm going to hear about it. What I know is:

1) Just like this thread in only 5 posts regarding last year's hunting: some of us will have the best season and some of us will have the worst season in many, many years.

2) The vast majority of us will have a season somewhere in between.

3) There will almost certainly be memorable moments regardless of the quality of the hunting.

4) Hunting reports, especially on the internet or phone calls to my office, will generally be poor.

I have to write a report each February for the Mississippi Flyway Council detailing the habitat conditions, aerial survey results, mottled duck/wood duck/BBWD banding, and reported waterfowl hunting success in Louisiana. A few years ago, the Flyway Secretary asked everyone in February whether harvest in their states would be "Better", "Worse", or "Same" as the previous season, and then compared the prediction with the actual harvest data.

Can you guess the results?

The first year, 10 of 14 state waterfowl biologists (including me) were wrong, and they all under-estimated statewide harvest. I did it again last year, when I predicted harvest would be down markedly from 2011, but it was pretty much the same (down 2%). Maybe the increase in hunters with lower per-hunter success caused me to predict low.

Lreynolds
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting