Catahoula Lake access

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Catahoula Lake access

Postby Mr.L » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:42 pm

The Catahoula Wildlife Refuge is going to open gate on Oct. 1 this year to allow vehicle access to Catahoula Lake. Hopefully, it will stay dry enough for everyone to work on their blinds.
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Catahoula Lake access

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Lets hope it doesn't stay dry. Not having any water sucks right now.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Quack-Attack19 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:34 am

Guess I can plan on not having enough water to get to my blind opening morning for the third year straight.
Quack-Attack19
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 am

you should have had water last year. If you didn't then hunt somewhere else cause your never getting it
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Toledo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:32 am

Quack-Attack19 wrote:Guess I can plan on not having enough water to get to my blind opening morning for the third year straight.

Hunt somewhere else. We kill birds all across the state every season and rarely hunt the same spot more than a few times. Being mobile gives you way more options. Sitting in the same spot, shooting the same birds gets old anyways.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Quack-Attack19 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Park Duck wrote:you should have had water last year. If you didn't then hunt somewhere else cause your never getting it

I had water once they got it up to 29.5, just didn't have water the first week or so.
Quack-Attack19
hunter

Postby sfc711 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Quack-Attack19 wrote:
Park Duck wrote:you should have had water last year. If you didn't then hunt somewhere else cause your never getting it

I had water once they got it up to 29.5, just didn't have water the first week or so.

Well they had plenty of water by second slpit last year,their r original blind was 10ft under so had to bring a floating blind in back by Neebo area. I was lucky enough to get to hunt that last week with friends
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Last year the Corps of Engineers for whatever reason didn't have the water level at 29.5 ft for opening morning. Many people including me did not have huntable water on the north end until three days before the first split ended. I have hunted Catahoula Lake for years, even in drought years much worse than last year and always had water on opening morning. Something was very odd last year in the water management prior to opening day.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Quack-Attack19 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:57 am

Thank you MR. L, Someone who knows what I am talking about.
Quack-Attack19
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Quack-Attack19, last year I went down to the structure at Texaco Towne on a Thursday 2 weeks and 2 days before the first split. It was open and water was flowing toward the lake. It should have been enough time for the lake to flood up as it has always done. Our blind off Bird Island point was as dry as my yard on opening morning. That has never happened in all the many years I have hunted at that spot. The gates on the diversion canal are remotely controlled at the Jonesville Lock and Dam. I have hear rumors that the gate was cracked open for a long time. I don't know that for a fact. I have often wondered if there was some malfunction at the diversion canal gate and the Corps didn't check on it or catch it in time for the lake to be flooded at its proper level. I know there were a lot of disappointed hunters on opening day. My hunting buddy works offshore and has to plan his vacation time many months in advance. He took his vacation and had no water to hunt over on opening day. When the Catahoula Wildlife Refuge managed the gate manually at the diversion canal there never was a problem.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Mr.L wrote: Our blind off Bird Island point was as dry as my yard on opening morning. That has never happened in all the many years I have hunted at that spot. .......... When the Catahoula Wildlife Refuge managed the gate manually at the diversion canal there never was a problem.

Well I wish someone would have told them what a good job they were doing, because they claimed it was all the grief from hunters about their operations that was the major reason they baled out on the Tri-Party agreement in 2009. They claimed it was an undue burden on their manpower ...... not to operate the structure, but to respond to all the feedback, complaints, and demands for action from Catahoula Lake hunters.

But lets step back for a moment and show that what you are saying is not true. I can't know what was happening at your blind site, but I can know what date we hit 29.5 during the re-flooding period.

We were all frustrated about last year, Sanchez Oil conflict, late drawdowns and all. We actually started to reflood EARLIER than allowed. Indeed, here is what the Tri-Party agreement says about reflooding:

No less than 10 days and no more than 15 days before the duck season opens, close diversion canal structure and open Archie structure to raise water gradually to 29.0 to 29.5 feet.

So according to your own description, we were re-flooding the lake sooner than 15 days prior to the opening day. But it came up more slowly than the Corp intended, and we didn't know why. One thing Steve Smith did was look at the date our flooding reached 29.5 in the last 10 years, compared it to opening day, and looked to see if we had rain during that re-flooding period. And here's what he found:

2003 we started flooding Nov. 1 reached 29.5 on Nov. 22 and opening day was Nov. 15 (7 days late)
2005 we started flooding Nov. 4 reached 29.5 on Nov. 27 and opening day was Nov. 19 (10 days late)
2007 we started flooding Nov. 3 reached 29.5 on Nov. 22 and opening day was Nov. 17 (5 days late)
2010 we started flooding Nov. 10 reached 29.5 on Nov. 30 and opening day was Nov. 20 (10 days late)
2011 we started flooding Nov. 4 reached 29.5 on Nov. 27 and opening day was Nov. 19 (8 days late)

So in 6 of the last 10 years, we have not been at 29.5 by opening day of the duck season, and in 5 of those years (no rainfall data in 2007), we received no rainfall during the re-flooding period which we did get in the 4 years where we reached 29.5 (and way, way above in at least one year). The USFWS was responsible for 3 of those 6 years.

In 3 of those 6 years, we weren't even at 29.0 by opening day, which is the boundary set by the Tri-Party agreement, so we've got some issues to figure out.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:52 pm

Lreynolds, I can certainly respect your statistical data concerning the amount of time it takes to reach 29.5 ft. But the fact remains in all of those years you listed, we had huntable water at our blind near Bird Island point on opening morning. That would indicate that we had water at less than 29.5 ft according to your data for those years. I struggle to figure out why we had no water last year for opening day. Either the measurement readings at rivergauges.com are inaccurate or there has been a tremendous amount of sedimentation deposited in the spring prior to last years duck season raising the elevation. Has any research been done on sedimentation on the north end of Catahoula Lake? It is no doubt in my mind that it has and is continuing. Old River has greatly been affected.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Mr.L wrote:Lreynolds, I can certainly respect your statistical data concerning the amount of time it takes to reach 29.5 ft. But the fact remains in all of those years you listed, we had huntable water at our blind near Bird Island point on opening morning. That would indicate that we had water at less than 29.5 ft according to your data for those years. I struggle to figure out why we had no water last year for opening day. Either the measurement readings at rivergauges.com are inaccurate or there has been a tremendous amount of sedimentation deposited in the spring prior to last years duck season raising the elevation. Has any research been done on sedimentation on the north end of Catahoula Lake? It is no doubt in my mind that it has and is continuing. Old River has greatly been affected.

My research partners (Drs Sammy King and Richard Keim from LSU) are looking at sedimentation from core samples, but I think their sample size is too small to generate any localized conclusions. However, we have seen that a ridge has formed along the canal bank just north of the Diverson canal such that water has to flow north before it gets into the drainage channel to flow south and then east out the structure. There were times this summer when the difference between the gauge at the structure and the gauge in the middle of the lake were many feet different for hours because of the drainage delay.

That is why I wouldn't doubt what you say is happening at your blind; you know way better than I do, and we are seeing some unusual drainage patterns.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:48 pm

Lreynolds wrote:
Mr.L wrote:Lreynolds, I can certainly respect your statistical data concerning the amount of time it takes to reach 29.5 ft. But the fact remains in all of those years you listed, we had huntable water at our blind near Bird Island point on opening morning. That would indicate that we had water at less than 29.5 ft according to your data for those years. I struggle to figure out why we had no water last year for opening day. Either the measurement readings at rivergauges.com are inaccurate or there has been a tremendous amount of sedimentation deposited in the spring prior to last years duck season raising the elevation. Has any research been done on sedimentation on the north end of Catahoula Lake? It is no doubt in my mind that it has and is continuing. Old River has greatly been affected.

My research partners (Drs Sammy King and Richard Keim from LSU) are looking at sedimentation from core samples, but I think their sample size is too small to generate any localized conclusions. However, we have seen that a ridge has formed along the canal bank just north of the Diverson canal such that water has to flow north before it gets into the drainage channel to flow south and then east out the structure. There were times this summer when the difference between the gauge at the structure and the gauge in the middle of the lake were many feet different for hours because of the drainage delay.

That is why I wouldn't doubt what you say is happening at your blind; you know way better than I do, and we are seeing some unusual drainage patterns.

You are right about the ridge forming and that's something new this year. All of French fork area has seemed to have "washed out"
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:56 pm

quit your complaining. We didn't have water for first split opener, and never do, so I was planning on sneaking into someones blind down at stock landing. Water didn't back up over the beaver dam my partner built and the whole place was dry. Just another reason wildlife needs to keep it high all year. Like it or not access to blinds is more important to us than duck feed. All a duck needs is water. considering a run for state senate and I'm gonna have jindals ear on Catahoula. We won't have this problem in the future.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:40 pm

The Catahoula Wildlife Refuge has closed its gates. Catahoula Lake hunters will not be able to go through refuge to get to lake to work on blinds until government shutdown ends.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:25 pm

Mr.L wrote:The Catahoula Wildlife Refuge has closed its gates. Catahoula Lake hunters will not be able to go through refuge to get to lake to work on blinds until government shutdown ends.

Guess everybody on the north end are flocked! To damn bad. :lol:
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Toledo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 am

Mr.L wrote:The Catahoula Wildlife Refuge has closed its gates. Catahoula Lake hunters will not be able to go through refuge to get to lake to work on blinds until government shutdown ends.

That dam Obanga got us again! I dont see it lasting more than a few weeks max. Even if it does I'm sure the 4-wheeler gang will find a way to ease in there before opener.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Original Duckster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Boat your 4 wheeler across at French Fork. Been done for years.

Hey Park! Lookie who is here!
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:09 pm

Original Duckster wrote:Boat your 4 wheeler across at French Fork. Been done for years.

Hey Park! Lookie who is here!

You don't want anything to do with this place. Don't forget the stick welder like them fellas the other day
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Original Duckster » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:44 pm

You don't want anything to do with this place.

Gotta keep up with you Ciciros. Y'all might be plotting against us hidden on here.
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby metalworx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:51 pm

If the rain doesn't stop it's gonna be hard to do anything out there
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting