Annual Catahoula Lake flooding date

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Annual Catahoula Lake flooding date

Postby Mr.L » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am

Does anyone know when the Corps of Engineers will open flood gate at Texaco Towne and close diversion canal lock to begin annual flooding for duck season? November 8 will be 15 days before season. The Tri-Party agreement says no more than 15 days or no less than 10 days before the season I think.
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Annual Catahoula Lake flooding date

Postby Original Duckster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I think that is right. Never tell what lurks in the minds of the gate keepers though.

Lake is at 27.70'msl now. Wouldn't take too much to bring it up if you throw in a rain or two. Did they ever get a positive shutoff at Archie? I haven't been on the north end since Teal season. There was a good current in the river then and the catfish were loading a wire trap quick.
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:18 pm

I had heard that a barge had hit the gate control and it was fixed. I don't know for sure. I wish I had known the catfish were going in wire traps. I took up mine in July. I just took off my outboard and put on mudbuddy for duck season. Hopefully we will have water for opening day unlike last year.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Toledo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:41 am

Mr.L wrote:I wish I had known the catfish were going in wire traps. I took up mine in July.

Yall ever catch anything of any size in those barrel traps over there? All we seem to catch are 10" fryers.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 am

I'm not sure what you mean by barrel traps. Wire traps are made from concrete reinforcement wire with tarred net stretched around it and tied. They have two flues for catfish to enter trap. They are baited with cheese or power bait blocks. But to answer your question as to size of fish caught, a fair size catfish can go in trap. I have caught catfish 5 to 7 lbs. It depends on how big the catching flue is made. People who use hoop nets can catch some large ones.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Toledo » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:25 pm

Mr.L wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by barrel traps. Wire traps are made from concrete reinforcement wire with tarred net stretched around it and tied. They have two flues for catfish to enter trap. They are baited with cheese or power bait blocks. But to answer your question as to size of fish caught, a fair size catfish can go in trap. I have caught catfish 5 to 7 lbs. It depends on how big the catching flue is made. People who use hoop nets can catch some large ones.

Yep, thats them. We just always called em barrel traps. Ive run hoopnets and stuff before but only thing we have ever dropped in around there were wire traps and all we ever caught were dinks. Just didnt know if thats mostly whats around. Might try some jugs next time Im there and the waters right.
Toledo
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting