Help!!!

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Help!!!

Postby raymond1081 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:27 am

Good morning gentlemen,
I am a good ole georgia boy looking for some honest help. Me and a couple of my friends have finally decided to grow a set and hunt with the big boys in Louisiana. Ive been hunting in Ga for about the past five years. This year we're taking the week after christmas and I was looking at hunting the Attakapas wma north of morgan city. Is there anything anyone can tell me about this place? and if not somewhere else I should go. Dont want to waste my week and not get on any ducks. Feel free to PM me. ANY and ALL info would be helpful, never been in Louisiana and dont really know what to expect.
raymond1081
hunter

Re: Help!!!

Postby Delta1389 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 pm

If your gonna come that far south I wouldn't waste my time on the attakapas. I'd go farther south to the Atchafalaya Delta wma. Not really any farther. Just a longer boat ride. Both the main delta and the wax outlet side are both very good hunting.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby raymond1081 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:39 pm

Yeah I've looked at the atchaflya but it's hard to find any clear maps on it and I would have no idea where to start looking because it's such a large wma.
raymond1081
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 am

You have a boat?
Delta1389
hunter

Postby raymond1081 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:34 am

15 ft alumacraft with a 9.9 two stroke mercury
raymond1081
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:41 am

Ok that would be a very long ride in that boat. I know it's about 17 miles down the river to the delta. Take about 30-45 mins in my 14' with a 25 hp engine. About an hour with my go devil longtail. I don't know know how long it takes to get to the wax outlet side. Wherever you decide to hunt, bring a pirogue. You will be limited with the outboard due to shallow water and Water hyacinth. When we get a good north wind it pushes all the water out. I've not driven around the attakapas but a few times so I don't know how bad it can really get there but I'm sure it'll drop a good bit.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby raymond1081 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 am

so if the water levels are low then my best bet would be the atchafalya? But where do I go haha? Shoot how do I even get there? I dont mind a long ride, if its worth it.
raymond1081
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:38 am

Don't get me wrong. The water drops VERY low on the Atchafalaya too! And then there are sandbars to deal with. The river is the easiest way to to get there but there is an inside route that you can take that consists of a bunch of bayous running along side the river. But you need to know where you are going. It's definitely safer and calmer than the river if it's real windy and you don't have to deal with the large offshore boats coming and going throwing massive wakes, they don't always slow down for you. And then there is the fog.... As far as I know the calumet side of the delta would be much easier to access. A straight shot down the calumet cut to the camp ground. It's usually very crowded out there from what I hear though. They all have their trade offs but I'll put it this way. I never hear of people going out the the attakapas and putting the smack down on the ducks. I just don't think they have the habitat there to hold large numbers of birds. I hear of lots of woodies of course some teal and your occasional mallard and grey duck.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby Assault » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:11 am

raymond1081 wrote:so if the water levels are low then my best bet would be the atchafalya? But where do I go haha? Shoot how do I even get there? I dont mind a long ride, if its worth it.

Listen to DELTA, I've been to atchafalya WMA with him! He is a great guy! If you can schedule it right, I'm sure he would guide y'all down there!
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Postby slayer_eoi39 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:26 am

If you are not at all familiar with the Atchafalaya delta area, especially the river side, I would highly recommend that you just guide with someone. There are way too many dangers for an inexperienced navigator. All that said, with risk comes reward as this place can hold tons of ducks.
slayer_eoi39
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 am

Here is a link with a good description of both the main delta and the wax. It shows boundaries and restricted/limited access areas. Its a PDF so you can zoom in to get a real good look.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/defa ... /adwma.pdf
Delta1389
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:28 pm

slayer_eoi39 wrote:If you are not at all familiar with the Atchafalaya delta area, especially the river side, I would highly recommend that you just guide with someone. There are way too many dangers for an inexperienced navigator. All that said, with risk comes reward as this place can hold tons of ducks.

FWIW, they outlawed guiding on all WMA's in louisiana....use to be that guides could take paying clients on the WMAs but that ended on 2000 I think.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby slayer_eoi39 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:01 pm

I meant guide in the general area.... You should go back to Arkansas and keep your comments where they belong.
slayer_eoi39
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Yeah, swamp go back to Arkansas. You're irritating that guy who wanted his account deleted.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:20 pm

slayer_eoi39 wrote:I meant guide in the general area.... You should go back to Arkansas and keep your comments where they belong.

I don't live in arkansas. I live in louisiana.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:37 pm

And slayer-I was just pointing out for the guy from Georgia that guiding paying clients anywhere on a state WMA is against the law. He more than likely did not know this.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Assault » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Indaswamp wrote:And slayer-I was just pointing out for the guy from Georgia that guiding paying clients anywhere on a state WMA is against the law. He more than likely did not know this.

We were talking about him hooking up with someone to guide/show him the area so he doesn't get lost or hurt!!!!!!! I don't believe anyone was talking about him paying someone to hunt the WMA
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Assault wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:And slayer-I was just pointing out for the guy from Georgia that guiding paying clients anywhere on a state WMA is against the law. He more than likely did not know this.

We were talking about him hooking up with someone to guide/show him the area so he doesn't get lost or hurt!!!!!!! I don't believe anyone was talking about him paying someone to hunt the WMA

gotcha....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting