Newbe to Catahoula Lake Hunting

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Newbe to Catahoula Lake Hunting

Postby fishfighter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:57 am

Hi guys!

Just a bit about me. I am 55 years old, disabled but still try my best to get out when I feel good enough. I been a duck hunter all my life and of course, all the gear. The wife always says I have way to much. :biggrin: I am retired too!

Anyway, this year I was looking to try to hunt Catahoula Lake. Though on using one of the guides, but that is just not how I do things. I'm a DIY'er.

Now, the big question. Can anyone here give me some pointers as towards hunting Catahoula lake? What I read about it is all about water levels. I do have a mud boat or outboard boat and even a bigger outboard boat. No shortages there.

I live in the New Roads, La area. So, the drive is not to far. Also, I have a camper and would like to camp there too!

I will most likely head up there some time next week to get a lay of the land.

Thanks guys for any help.
fishfighter
Newb

Re: Newbe to Catahoula Lake Hunting

Postby Mr.L » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 am

Catahoula Lake is not flooded yet for duck season. The Corps of Engineers usually start flooding the lake about 2 weeks before the opening date of duck season. Catahoula Lake is pretty much filled up with blinds from end to end. Your best bet would be to use a guide service or find someone who has a blind on the lake and let you use it. Most people don't mind people using their blinds if they are not there, as long as you don't trash their blind or shoot their decoys. There is a camp ground at Old River that rents trailer spaces. The majority of hunters use go devils or mudbuddy motors to move around the lake in the shallow water. About the only time you can use an outboard is when the water rises. Then, people hunt out of floating blinds. Catahoula Lake is usually crowded on the weekends. The best time to hunt is during the week.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby fishfighter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks, just trying to get a feel of the place.
fishfighter
Newb

Postby Park Duck » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 pm

Wear a helmet with a face mask. Them jena folk is a fighting bunch!
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Park Duck wrote:Wear a helmet with a face mask. Them jena folk is a fighting bunch!

Not true. We're just protecting what's rightfully ours. Since I put in the effort to place a pine branch on a blind I've got a perpetual claim on it.

A gentleman would realize this and go hunt somewhere else. Another parish perhaps.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby blackwidow » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:44 pm

What a load of bullshit. Its PUBLIC.
blackwidow
Newb

Postby Jayhawker » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Yeah, well theres a ton of us LaSalle and Rapides hunters that run that place. Come on try to hunt out there. We don't mind wasting a day to ruin your hunt, we'll be back tomorrow when you make the long trip back home, never to return to such a nasty place. At a public meeting we'll be real nice and tell fish and game that we don't mind if somebody hunts our blind. :biggrin: Plus we got local politicians telling wildlife what to do. Sorry, but those are the rules. Live with it. :grooving:
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby blackwidow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm

:lame:

Another one.. I bet you are one of Obamas people that thinks he is "entitled" to everything. Gotta love a damn cry baby.
blackwidow
Newb

Postby Assault » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:27 am

Jayhawker wrote:Yeah, well theres a ton of us LaSalle and Rapides hunters that run that place. Come on try to hunt out there. We don't mind wasting a day to ruin your hunt, we'll be back tomorrow when you make the long trip back home, never to return to such a nasty place. At a public meeting we'll be real nice and tell fish and game that we don't mind if somebody hunts our blind. :biggrin: Plus we got local politicians telling wildlife what to do. Sorry, but those are the rules. Live with it. :grooving:

Wow! U r serious! What happen to hunting being about friendship and a good time? Glad I don't live by y'all!
If I c it in the air, it's coming down!
Assault
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting