Absolutely nuts

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Absolutely nuts

Postby metalworx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 am

Im thinking as I get up this morning

Who in the world would get up and go stand in the rain with it 37 degrees most of the day

The only relief I get is the thought of knowing Albert Einstein was a nut also

The things you'll do for duck hunting. Gotta love it
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Re: Absolutely nuts

Postby Mr.L » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:50 am

I can relate to how you feel. When I was in my twenties, I would go hunting in every kind of weather. It didn't matter if it was lightning, pouring down rain, sleeting, or just plain extremely cold, I would be after the ducks. Now that I am in my late fifties, it just seems like the old body can't handle extreme hunting conditions anymore. When I get sick, it is hard to shake it off anymore. I have learned it is best to wait for another better day to go hunting rather than take a chance on becoming ill. The mind still wants to go but the body says no.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:37 am

I know we all make our own choices regarding family, career, priorities, etc., but I've never been fortunate enough to decide whether to hunt or not based on the weather ....... I have to go when I have the opportunity. Yes, it's tougher at 52 than it was in my mid-twenties as well, but with no insult intended, I don't consider 37 and raining all that tough unless a long boat ride is included.

I remember 1989 on Catahoula Lake the opening of the second split. It opened on a Friday, and by Sunday morning the only open water was in the middle of the lake, and even then, skim-ice carried our decoys away. I've never been colder in my life than that morning on a near-frozen lake with temps in the teens and a north wind. Luckily, we were breaking ice a boat-length at a time coming out of French Fork, or the boat ride would have been miserable. Coming back in, we had to physically poke holes in the ice with the push-pole and run the boat up on it to break it ....... while Bruce Crain stood at the landing laughing at us.

I killed 2 greater scaup and a mallard that day, and I thought it all worth it. I'd do it again, but I've got better cold-weather gear today.

I hope the hunting today made you glad you were nuts enough to brave the weather!
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby sfc711 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:01 pm

I was up and ready to go this morning at 330AM since I did not get to go Sat or Sunday but the guy I hunt with Mike Wilder said it was going to be too much rain. we both of us being retired me a 100% 49yo disabled vet with 23yrs in Army told him I trained and fought in rougher conditions than this "if it aint raining you aint training" So i resigned myself to have to wait until Wed. I have only been able to get back into hunting and fishing these past 2 yrs, I gave away all my deer, duck hunting and fishing stuff in 04 when it looked like I would never get to do these things again with implantation of spinal cord stimulator 5 back surgeries 8 knee surgeries hernia etc. Then I had to go repurchase duck and fishing things again. I never take the smallest thing I can do for granted anymore. I had a plaque on my desk and wall in My Chief Medical Office that read "My Worst Day hunting or fishing was better than my best day at work". Still true today.
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Absolutely nuts

Postby metalworx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:53 pm

He had a blast
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby Voodoo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:29 pm

I went today just to work my dog, call and shoot the bull with the guys. No gun. Now that is nuts!
Provigil ProStaffer
In serious need of a 12 step goose hunting program.
Formerly Slowmo
Voodoo
hunter

Postby metalworx » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Understand that
I enjoy hunting / working my dog more than shooting
One of my friends has a blind that is not setup for a dog and I could care less about going with him because of that
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting