How's everyone's season going?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

How's everyone's season going?

Postby Jarren » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:48 pm

It's our last weekend of the first split in the costal zone. With the exception of two hunts this week our blind has been pretty slow. But good times were had. How's everyone else doing?
Jarren
hunter

Re: How's everyone's season going?

Postby Sclf » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Bout the same
Sclf
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:46 pm

We haven't seen many ducks. The specks kept the first split somewhat interesting. I sure hope the second split brings more ducks.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:18 am

This split has been entirely too much like work.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Delta1389 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:07 pm

We've had a few birds. Mostly some pretty good hunts.
Delta1389
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:12 pm

Nothing at all around Kaplan..

NOTHING :sad:
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby Jarren » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:29 pm

SLOW seems to be the general response. For the first time in I can't remember how many years I missed a day of hunting to go fishing.
Jarren
hunter

Postby m4a34u » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Slow!!!!
m4a34u
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:20 am

Last monday things slowed down for us. Prior to that we were doing pretty good.
T-TOP
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 am

East Zone had a great opening weekend and week after...went this weekend and only shot three ducks! It dropped off big time after a great week...hopefully we get a steady push of new ducks through the season as it seems like they still have a ton holding up north of us
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:56 am

Been above average on big ducks so far this year. Woodducks have fallen off dramatically over last 3-4 years. Not sure whether its the 3 limit increase or drought the previous 2 years.

Are most of yall hunting marsh and rice pits? The amount of water in Ark and north louisiana is prob why you'll arent seeing as many to many places to hold them.
tb44
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 am

tb44 wrote:Been above average on big ducks so far this year...

Must be where they've been. Our all-inclusive bird total was slightly better than last year's (which, itself, was the second worst of the past seven I've tracked for the same blind), but our mallard count was right at 70 less than for either of the past two first splits.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby T-TOP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:02 am

We are hunting in the marsh down on the Cameron parish coast. A day after that last front our birds were almost gone!
T-TOP
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:30 am

Question for you more experienced guys.

Is south LA heading towards bad hunting for the norm? The past 3-4 years have been getting worse and worse in my area. That and ag is changing in north la and ark.

I'm in my 20s and know the days of my grandfather filling a truck bed Are over but my farm hasn't killed a single bird this season
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:56 am

Rick do you believe that your mallard totals where better the last 2 season due to the drought in the plains all the way to louisiana?
tb44
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:58 am

As far as ducks changing there patterns it is no doubt happening. The cause is in question though. I feel it has to do with more water/fields to the North in both Ark and Missouri flooded and managed specifically for waterfowl some to hunt some to sit and be refuges (I wont get into the whole DU thing funding some of them which is happening, but DU does benifit us all in the long run the problem is it benefit a select few WAY MORE then others!!!!) This front coming by weekend should shake things up highs be in teens in most northern states for a week should lock everything up.....so far this years has been colder then the previous 5 seasons I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Def more snow cover to north so far this year.
tb44
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:23 pm

tb44 wrote:Rick do you believe that your mallard totals where better the last 2 season due to the drought in the plains all the way to louisiana?

Wouldn't want to speculate . But can say that last year's good mallard first split, was otherwise quite weak (second worst overall of the seven I've tracked in that blind), while the year before's was the best of those seven tracked first splits both for mallards and overall.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dog walker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:18 pm

It was strange for me in SE La. We never hunted one area too much but the birds were here today gone tomorrow. There were days we were covered with ducks only to have a slow hunt the next day. We had great hunts and then the last 4 days of the split the ducks seemed to disappear. This has been the least amount of birds I've ever seen over here.
dog walker
hunter

Postby sfc711 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:52 pm

Sucks siince I omly got to hunt last tuesday at Catahoula have never saw that many canvasback and scaup, shot 3 teal saw 1000's of pintails but way high, now at same blind that Monday with rain they killled 30 mallards Was suppose to hunt at delta today and tomorrow but friend who has blind got stomach virus and being a retired disabled vet have no other way to go unless with friends
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Made a trip out to our blind around midday yesterday to see what was out there, and added some brush to the blind. There were "SOME" ducks we jumped from our cut, teal, greys and mottled ducks, but nothing to give me much confidence. We drove around our area for a few hours and did see small bodies of geese scattered around with some flooded AG fields holding a good bit of shoveler and gadwall. I think the time of day and wind velocity had them grounded. It's going to be a wait and see kind of opening of the second split, for us. What a weird season!!!
Last edited by D Comeaux on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Jarren » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:49 pm

On the bright side I only think ours can pick up. Ended the last hunt of the split with four spoonies. Seen four killed four. Regardless I'm happy to be out there and "wait for them".
Jarren
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Gonna be in the marsh south of your piece tomorrow and will try to remember to pass the glass over yours while I'm back there.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Parked at the pump and walked the protection levee to where it overlooks your southern neighbors and you. They had a mess of geese, mostly specks, and mallards in short flooded grass, and I saw four or five balls of smaller ducks working your water while walking out and watching a short while. Lots of coots and some big ducks on your water but couldn't tell what flavor ducks. Plenty of speck traffic over you, too, as body was just north of trees.

Blind looks a lot better than last year, but still the most prominent landmark back there.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jarren » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:55 pm

The spec traffic has been consistent for the most part. That north field is a double edged sword it keeps them flying over our piece but they want in that field bad. Our couple dozen full bodies and lack luster calling doesn't compete to the masses that field holds.

Good to hear of a few ducks buzzing around out there that makes the anticipation for this weekend grow.

Your right about the blind it is better than last year but has room for improvement. We will be adding to and blending in some more before Saturday.

Thanks for the report. I appreciate it.
Jarren
hunter

Postby Jarren » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Good luck to everyone in the morning. Reports seem to be consistent with more birds making it down.

Shoot straight!
Jarren
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting