Mallards showing up in the Southwest

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Mallards showing up in the Southwest

Postby takemking » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:10 am

Hearing a lot of chatter that the big ducks are finally down over in the southwest. Sounds like Mallard madness. Can anyone confirm this? I've got a lease in Gum Cove south of Vinton that gets mallards on strong cold fronts but haven't checked during the split. Just wanted to find out what to expect this weekend.
A duck hunter must follow hunters of the oldest kind in North America. He must live his life a nomad, following the flock wherever it might lead. Through flooded timber, fields or marsh, he does what he must to find success.
takemking
hunter

Re: Mallards showing up in the Southwest

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:20 pm

Can't speak to your area, but we had a nice mallard show in our NE Cameron parish marsh this morning. But the way our first split went, I'm afraid to get too excited about it...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Choupique » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:17 pm

Saw many groups of big ducks including mallards Wednesday. Should be an interesting second split.
Cajun Curl Collectors
Gueydan, LA
Choupique
Newb

Postby Sclf » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:10 am

I haven't been to my lease in sw Cameron/PI. I'm hoping these ducks have finally shown up for us. Anyone have any reports from that area?....Not that it really matters. I'll b out there tomorrow and Sunday no matter what. Just wondering what to expect so I know how many people to hunt. This year, I've really focused on hunting the appropriate amount of guns for the birds we have. Two guys shooting 12 feels a ton better than 4 guys shooting 15.
Sclf
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am

Missouri has lost 500K mallards in the last ten days. I'm sure more than a few made it to La..... :thumbsup:
Ducaholic
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting