DU hate

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

DU hate

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:41 pm

What is with all the hate on DU from what seems to be the southern part of the state? Looked at the reports on DU migration map and there are some interesting posts.
LiquidA45
hunter

Re: DU hate

Postby alans » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:04 pm

I have a problem with them. They build duck holes for land owners with our money, then the land owners turn right around and lease it out for 7 grand. If they going to build something, build more for the public. Another reason, Ouachita WMA for instance, how bout them pumps? They got a sanctuary installed right across the road from a hunting area. Poor guys that hunt that one side didn't even hardly have any water to hunt. Yet that sanctuary had plenty of water and ducks. It is tons of places that landowners don't want anybody hunting at all. That is good enough sanctuary for them. Ducks sit tight on sanctuary all day until two then fly right over to the hunting area, then stay all evening and night. They then fly right back to sanctuary before shooting time. The plus side for du is the great work on the breeding grounds.
alans
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:55 am

Here is a quote from Wetland Habitat Management- A Guide for Landowners- Ducks Unlimited Great Lakes/ Atlantic Regional Office, "For example, DU contributes to numerous private land restoration by handling project costs,..." I wonder if they would build me a duck pond?
Mr.L
hunter

Postby alans » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 am

Exactly. They are making duck holes for people with everyone's money. I'm all for their work on the breeding grounds. I'm all for them building places for the public to hunt. That is the du that we need. Its time for another grass roots organization. I understand ducks need resting areas but how many places do you know that ducks can go on private property where no duck hunting is allowed. It is plenty of areas for them to rest. What doesn't make sense at all is the sanctuary at Ouachita WMA. Right across the road from a hunting area. I have heard they allow handicap hunters to hunt the sanctuary a few days a year. I am all for that. Wish they would make sanctuaries for youth and handicap hunters certain days of the week. It is a win win situation.
alans
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:13 am

I have a huge problem with them. Every post i have made on that migration app has been deleted (A B from lafayette). I read an article a few years ago about how DU was planning to short stop birds after the BP oil spill to keep them from getting to contaminated waters. In order to achieve this, they were going to flood thousands of acres of grain farms across several states. Ever since the oil spill, birds have been few and far in between in south LA compared to what it used to be like. So my question is, what happened to this plan? Did it ever go into effect and is it still in effect? As a contributing member to DU, i want answers and want to see my money go towards helping out the hunting down here. Problem is, i am only one person. Its going to take more that me to get answers to these questions and do something about this

Im going to try to find the article and post a link so that everyone knows im not full of crap.
Alex.18
hunter

Postby alans » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:36 pm

I know you aren't full of crap. It was the united States department of agriculture and national fish and wildlife foundation. They allocated money from bp to pay farmers to flood fields. DU may have had a hand in it, but it was basically tagging bp for everything they could. DU should be sending a hit squad to my house soon. I have been tagging them on Facebook and the migration report. Any time you post about them building "habitat" for some poor land owner to lease out they get pissy. I love their work on the breeding grounds, but here........ they suck. Money talks...... you know what walks. Also don't dare post about sanctuaries, they delete it quicker than the private duck hole posts. I still would like to see these "heated ponds". That's one thing I don't believe they are doing. Unless I saw pictures myself.
alans
hunter

Postby wpevey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:39 pm

I am like the rest of you. I think they do great work on the breeding grounds but beyond that they suck. They spend way too much time, money and effort on every other area of the US except at the second most important area of the duck migrations, The end of the flyways. I think they undermine souther duck hunting by spending money, and influence on changing agricultural practices that hold duck longer for norther states who are making big money and political connections with duck hunting. I also dont believe they are heating ponds, but I would not forsake the possibility that they are using some type of engeneering practices when building all these sanctuaries and private areas that delay water freezing in those areas. Thus holding birds north longer b/c they have feed and refuge. I base this on the fact that over the last 10yrs our best duck seasons here have little to do with feed, or weather any more and are almost completely a result of drought/lack of water in the midwest states like Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas.
Every time I open my DU magazine there is some new project Du is building for duck habitat but it is NEVER in this state it seems. i would love to know the last time DU spent any money on a big habitat restoration project south of Alexandria and east of Lafeyette.
wpevey
hunter

Postby alans » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I completely agree with you. If only they would come out and explain about why everything done is north of us. Explain why they foot the bill to put it control structures for people to lease and why are they helping farmers flood fields. Habitat? Yea right. Ducks go those places and get slaughtered. DU says habitat, landowner says $$$$. In case anyone is wondering all information is on www.ducks.org. I know of two private places built by du, leased out by landowner. Du is constantly asking for more money yet building holes and not charging. I'm still waiting on a DU supporter to come here and explain that. I wish Delta waterfowl would have a bigger role around here or anybody at all. Pretty soon droughts won't help us. More wells will be pumping.
alans
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Reading this thread makes me want to ask all the posters a few questions.
1. How many of you have served as a DU committee member?
2. How many of you have attended your yearly state DU meetings?

An awful lot of info is shared at those meetings. We have a large number of DU biologist there as well as the state fish and game department. At least here the state and DU work together on state projects.

I know that DU is, in general, very aware of the gulf coast and its role. I encourage all of you to become more active in DU and to ask people with the answers as opposed to an internet forum.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby alans » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:09 pm

The first and last time I went to anything du, it was a bunch of drunks and a open bar. How about you answer the question. Why is members money spent on private projects? Like du would give a straight answer. I know it is no master conspiracy to keep ducks from Louisiana except during oil spill ordeal. Which I understood the reasoning behind the idea. Sanctuaries..... why do guys have to hunt a area that pumps don't work only to drive across the highway and see plenty of water and ducks on a sanctuary. Why do the landowners get compensated so well yet the poor man hunting public gets the shaft. I'm still digging on information on kix brooks ponds that du supposedly built. I watch wave after wave go there. They look very nice from a airplane. I completely respect the work done on breeding grounds. I know du isn't all to blame for flooded fields north of us. Where has du been at since giant salvinia has devastated our lakes. Yes sure, go to a meeting. Like talking to politicians. Those poor guys that hunt Ouachita WMA sit every morning during the season. Hear tons of ducks before shooting hours only to watch them go to a du funded sanctuary before shooting hours. Then if they stayed long enough, watch them return at 2pm. Same thing goes for darbonne nwr except I don't think du has anything to do with that. Yea, sanctuaries keep ducks in the area, but what's the point if you ducks won't leave it.
alans
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Dont get me wrong, i would love to see our donated money go to use down here but if these so called "sanctuaries" do exist, i believe the damage is already done. There is no need for the birds to come any further south than arkansas if these "sanctuaries" do exist and are holding water and food. And the very few that do get tired of being shot at on there way to the "sanctuaries" end up making it down here are so decoy and call shy, theres no chance of killing them. Sad to say but duck hunting will never be the same as it was 10 years ago in south LA if all of this is true. Doesnt help that every tom, ****, and harry that watches duck dynasty and blows a triple threat is a duck hunter now
Alex.18
hunter

Postby wpevey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:14 am

TomKat wrote:Reading this thread makes me want to ask all the posters a few questions.
1. How many of you have served as a DU committee member?
2. How many of you have attended your yearly state DU meetings?

An awful lot of info is shared at those meetings. We have a large number of DU biologist there as well as the state fish and game department. At least here the state and DU work together on state projects.

I know that DU is, in general, very aware of the gulf coast and its role. I encourage all of you to become more active in DU and to ask people with the answers as opposed to an internet forum.

Ill answer yours if you answer mine.
1. Ive never been a committe member but never been given the opportunity to be one. Not that it would do much good. Its really just window dressing no real power to effect change within the organization or the state.
2. havent been to a state meeting in about 5yrs last 3 i went to were a waste of time unless your looking to drink and run around bourbon st.

Now for my question.
1. When was the last time DU spent big money (as in thousands/millions) on a habitat creation or restoration project in LA that was south of Alexandria and East of Lafayette? SE LA has been hit by a storm system every year for last 5 yrs. (except this year) and a major oil spill but there is no major DU project ongoing in those areas. And by the way this year in my area we have marsh in the best condition with more feed than I have seen it in over 10yrs but there are no ducks.

Now, I'm not some chided DU hater per se, I fully respect and support the work that they do on the breeding grounds and think they spend money and resources well there. I also think that the breeding grounds should be the priority area for duck conservation. But out side of the breeding grounds and within the continental US I think they serve there own agenda. I dont know why they tend to neglect this area so much but anyone who pays attention can see that they do. I honestly hope that things change and DU begins to focus more attention here they have the greatest potential to have the biggest impact for duck hunters everywhere.
wpevey
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:31 am

To answer your question-

How in the fu$@ would I know? I am in Kansas.

All I can tell you is they do a good job here. I know that because I am involved in DU locally. Until you go to the state meetings to ask your questions, ya all are simply another spring breaker on Canal street. Good luck on your search. Oh, BTW, here are a few birds that I didn't allow to leave my air space. They were killed on public hunting ground that DU and the state worked together on.

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Mr.L » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:28 am

It is a FACT that ducks do not migrate down like they did in the 60's and 70's. I live about 4 miles from Catahoula Lake. When I was younger waiting on the school bus, I use to watch bunch after bunch of ducks flying south ahead of cold fronts. These flight days continued throughout my high school and college days. We always planned our hunts on approaching cold fronts because that was when hunting was at its best. In the last 20 yrs. or so flight days have decreased dramatically. You might have one or two days where you see groups of ducks migrating today. Something is holding the ducks back. Is it DU's fault? Is it the fault of farmers who flood vast fields after harvest to make extra money from duck leases? Is it changing weather patterns, because cold fronts now come from pacific instead of straight down from Canada? Is it changes in the natural instincts of ducks? I don't know. Maybe it is a combination of all these factors.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby 7Mallardboy11 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:58 am

So what I am hearing is that ducks today lost their instinct to migrate? Ducks dont migrate if they dont have too. It is not because of DU. It is because we haven't been getting good freezes up north to force the ducks the leave? Personally I'm not gonna leave my home either as long as there is food is in fridge and a roof over my head.
7Mallardboy11
Newb

Postby alans » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:02 am

We have had snow and sleet down to Arkansas. Missouri froze up. Something is wrong somewhere. Mallards are showing up some, yet to have a gadwall come in to my gadwall hole. I still got plenty of coontail and duck weed waiting. When gadwalls don't show up something is up
alans
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:53 am

alans, you have a good point. I haven't been able to hunt our blind in Catahoula Lake since last Tuesday due to family and church activities. I let a cousin of mine use my blind on Saturday. I figured with the approaching weather change they would have an excellent chance of killing a lot of mallards, gadwall and pintails. They stayed to dinner and killed 8 teal. He said there were no mallards flying ahead of the weather change. The teal were probably teal that had been down for weeks.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:58 am

Not to be a **** bud but if youre from Kansas, what are u doing in the LA thread besides looking to start crap? Things work completely differently down on this side of the earth

Thats fine. Let DU keep spending our money up north. The mid states will be pissed when hundreds of coonasses start showing up and killing their birds on their public lands since we dont get em down here any more. I already have a trip to oklahoma and arkansas planned for next year, might have to add kansas to the list
Alex.18
hunter

Postby alans » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Alex.18..... its like you read my mind when I first saw those pics, hopefully u send them our way on your trips out of state. Glad he could salt the wounds for the guys who are not killing anything with those pics. DU is a dead duck in my eyes. Its all about the money. If farmers can hold ducks up north with fields they get more money by jacking up the price if people keep killing ducks. Sad part is, people will keep paying. Rich get richer and poor guys get the shaft. Always been that way and always will be. Everybody remember to pay your membership to du, landowners and duck hunters in Kansas depend on that cash flow. By the way, Mr. L, the teal have virtually disappeared around here. I'm glad somebody has been seeing them. The gadwalls and teal haven't ever showed. Rumor has it they are still in Arkansas. Which is funny due to the fact gadwalls and teal usually go buy the shorter when they migrate. So nobody can blame weather on them staying in Arkansas. They both show up regardless except for this year.
alans
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:06 pm

alans, it has been strange this year as far as teal are concerned. In the first split we killed a lot of blue wings. That is odd because most of them have usually migrated south by October. We really just started killing green wings when second split started. We did not kill one gadwall during first split. We started seeing a few bunches a week ago. Again this seemed odd too.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby alans » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm guessing delayed hatch. We killed some mallards this morning and one was incredibly small. Some were just meager looking. I'm guessing they just escaped a DU detention center and were headed south haha
alans
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Alex.18 wrote:Not to be a **** bud but if youre from Kansas, what are u doing in the LA thread besides looking to start crap? Things work completely differently down on this side of the earth

Thats fine. Let DU keep spending our money up north. The mid states will be pissed when hundreds of coonasses start showing up and killing their birds on their public lands since we dont get em down here any more. I already have a trip to oklahoma and arkansas planned for next year, might have to add kansas to the list

Let me guess! You have never attended the LA state DU convention?

Just a lucky guess. (Not)

Gotta go clean some birds. Momma picked up some Popeyes red beans and rice on her way home and we are gonna make duck gumbo. Probably wash it down with a six pack of Pearl.

Ya all come back now, u hear?

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Alex.18 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Haha thats hilarious. U sure thats not ur sister that picked up those red beans u inbread peice of white trash? Cant be momma cause shes down here learning about real men
Alex.18
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:59 pm

And to answer your question. Yes, i have been to the last 2 conventions since ive only been a member for 2 years. Same story both times though. Talk about ducks for an hour or 2 and eat and drink the rest of the weekend

Alans, dont get me wrong. Were still killing down here in SW LA (crowley, pecan island, gueydan), just not as much as past years. I dont even mess with the duck lease any more, killing specks like crazy in crowley. 4 man limits any time we go
Alex.18
hunter

Postby alans » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm fixing to start busting the snow geese in the wheat fields. Mallards and wood ducks at daylight then nothing. Been sitting until 12 everyday watching red birds, crows, hawks, and the occasional bald eagle. At least I'm getting in my time with nature lol. Found a screech owl hung in barb wire this morning and got it out. Took it to the vet and its on its way to a wildlife rehabilitator. I'm getting soft lol. Maybe good luck will swing my way.
alans
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting