kincaid lake or catahuola lake

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

kincaid lake or catahuola lake

Postby thekunk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:23 am

Hey guys -I am soldier at ft polk la, I am looking to hunt near tbe alexandria area.I saw kincaid lake and wanted to know if anyone knows if it is a good area. Or should I try catahula lake..I have heard stories about guys having been giving crap to them and harrassed by tje locals. I just want to show some soldiers a good hunt and not get harrassed. Any ideas would be awesome. .thanks
The kunk
thekunk
hunter

Re: kincaid lake or catahuola lake

Postby Toledo » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 am

Catahoula isnt as bad as the locals would like you to believe. Hunt it during the week or afternoons and its not bad.

Dont forget the WMAs and NWRs that might be within driving distance for you.

Used to be good creek walking for wood ducks and skirls on Polk but I havent done it in 25 years so not sure if you can even hunt those areas anymore.
Toledo
hunter

Postby lsu_engr » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:46 pm

Kincaid Lake has a permitted number of floating blinds. People actually pay a permit fee to put them up every year. Don't believe you can hunt the lake except for one of those blinds. We hunted some of the creeks that go into Kincaid last year for woodies, but only had a couple opportunities to shoot. Catahoula would be the better place to hunt.
lsu_engr
hunter

Postby sfc711 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 am

have a firends who lives in leesville who husbands hunts annacoco and vernon lake does well there
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Postby Toledo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 am

sfc711 wrote:have a firends who lives in leesville who husbands hunts annacoco and vernon lake does well there

Ive never heard of anyone consistently doing well on them. From what I hear a really good day out there is 3-4 birds per person with 0-2 being the norm. They are known as flight lakes that dont typically hold many birds for long. Not enough food usually.

Not saying they may not be worth giving a look see since they are near by but they are definitely keep your expectations in check type spots.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:09 pm

tough one.

Kincaid or Catahoula: ........... :huh: ..............Kincaid.

Thanks for your service.
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting