Little Help(Very Little)

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Little Help(Very Little)

Postby bdub » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:57 pm

My brother in-law and my self are headed to SW LA for a wedding and we are going to hunt the Sabine NWR while we are down there. Gonna bring a small boat to paddle and push around out there. We only have an opportunity to check out the area from the road cause scouting stops in OCT. Has anyone every hunted out there and if so what is the terrain like, deep water or shallow just about every where. From google map it looks like its pretty shallow everywhere. Im not asking about birds or anything like that, I just wanna know if we can wade or are we gonna be stuck in the boat. Thanks.

Next question, we only have teal and ringer decoys will that work for us or do I need to invest in some wideion or shoveler decoys.
bdub
hunter

Re: Little Help(Very Little)

Postby Toledo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I haven't hunted it since Rita but we ran in the canals with the big motor, push pole or trolling motor into the ponds, cover boat with burlap, and hunt in the grass nearby. You can walk most of the area but I wouldn't want to go far. Most of it is shallow but the mud will keep you from getting too motivated. Especially without knowing where you are going ahead of time. There is a separate walk-in/ paddle area but I've never tried it. If I were you I would try to find a good trolling motor and throw it in the back of the truck along with your boat, take paddles/ pushpoles in case the trolling motor craps out, GPS a couple spots using google earth so you have options, and get out there early.

When we used to hunt it 90% of the people would stop within 500 yards of a canal so pushing further in can be rewarding.

Your decoys are fine.

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/SWLcomplex_hunt.pdf
Toledo
hunter

Postby bdub » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:42 am

Thanks for the help toledo
bdub
hunter

Postby 12gauge05 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:01 pm

I hunt sabine every weekend I have never hunted from the front we always run from black bayou running motors in sabine is allowed in certain areas there is a PDF map on the website we typically hunt the big open water areas with about 9 dozen decoys and haven't missed a limit this year good luck to y'all if you have any more questions pm me.
L[color=#FFBF00]S[color=#400040]U[/color][/color]
12gauge05
hunter

Postby Kleger » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Send me a PM if you haven't gone yet. I hunt from the front side.
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."
Kleger
hunter

Postby bdub » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:25 pm

PM's sent
bdub
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting