Hunting Catahoula lake 1/9-1/12

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Hunting Catahoula lake 1/9-1/12

Postby henslayer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:29 pm

2 of us from Alabama planning on hunting with a guide on 1/9 & 1/10 mornings hoping to kill a nice can to mount. Have also read where the lake holds pintails of which we have never killed as well. Would love to kill one. We have boats with blinds but aren't opposed to walk in hunting either. Not asking for exact locations but if someone would kindly give me a little advise of what style hunting would give the best odds of killing one I sure would appreciate it....or if someone needed hunting partners those evenings or the weekend to pay gas and food we'd be glad to pitch in.
Thanks, Todd
henslayer
hunter

Re: Hunting Catahoula lake 1/9-1/12

Postby metalworx » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 pm

What guide are y'all using
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby Cenla1 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 am

Call mike Bradford. I use to use him and always had great success. You can find him on facebook at dust a duck guide service.
I would not try to walk in. If you have boat make sure you have mud moter. Very tough to find area with out blind on it Best bet is to use a guide. Mike will arrange allday hunts very resonable on price. Where you coming from on Alabama ?
Cenla1
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:36 am

The majority of mallards, pintails, and teal have left the lake. The water is probably going to be high by 1/9 if it comes over the structure at Archie. If all you want to kill is canvasbacks, you should not have any problem there. When the lake floods, all that is out there is diving ducks with a few mallards roosting in the bushes. My hunting buddy went yesterday evening and this morning and only killed one mallard and one pintail. Most people out there don't mind people using their blinds as long as you don't trash them or shoot decoys.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Big Hutch » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Don't use Mike Bradford.

Just friendly advice.

Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby Toledo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:07 am

Big Hutch wrote:Don't use Mike Bradford.

Just friendly advice.

Big Hutch

I'm all for honest reviews but can you share some of your experience? Seems Ive seen others recommend that name before.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Cenla1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 am

I could not disagree more. Mike has always been good to me. He has provided a good service with good hunts at a good price. He had been honest when birds were not there and suggested changing my dates so we could kill birds. I don't know what more you could ask for. I have hunted with many guides who watch the time so they could end hunt. Mike likes to hunt as well so he will stay longer if you like or leave if you like. I've hunted on many guided hunts and have enjoyed my hunts with mike more than any other. Now no guide can control weather etc Guiding for ducks isn't like high fence hunting for deer. If you had a bad experience. I would think you might have been unrealistic. I have nothing to gain out of this if you choose someone else it matters not to me. Just giving you an honest assessment of a guide on catahuola.
Cenla1
hunter

Postby henslayer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Update on hunt. Only hunted two days. First day was almost a bust. Not a shot fired with the guide. Walked in that evening by myself and killed my first 2 bull canvasback. Second day guide dropped me off in blind and hunted to other hunters at another blind till 1130. By myself killed mallard drake, green wing teal drake, pintail drake and ring neck. Guide picked me up at 1130 and took me to another blind and killed two nice bull canvasback. Saw lots of pintail, mallards and widgeon. Never been there before but would say migration has hit.
henslayer
hunter

Postby Toledo » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Glad you got a few. Now that you see how to hunt it you can go back and handle it by yourself if you want.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Cenla1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:36 pm

That doesn't sound like mike Bradford as a guide. You didn't use him did you. I don't think he would just leave you. What part of Alabama you live in?
Cenla1
hunter

Postby henslayer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:19 pm

No I didn't use Mike. The guide I used did have extenuating circumstances but should have had a backup plan. I have read multiple people talk about this lake being over pressured and that may be the case on the weekends but when I hunted Thursday and Friday it didn't appear to be. Plan to do it myself next year, 4-5 weekdays only.
henslayer
hunter

Postby Cenla1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Pressure gets less in January. I actually have a blind on the lake and live in Alabama that is why I've been asking where you live. Pm me sometime and we can talk in more detail.
Cenla1
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting