Woodduck Population?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Woodduck Population?

Postby tb44 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Is anyone else noticing a decline in woodduck numbers in NW Louisiana? or an increase in your area? ......One of my areas has declined significantly this season as well as over the last 2 years. I am curious is this a tread across the region or have they just shifted the flight patterns. This is a historic woodie migration stopping point as why I am concerned. And where we used to see 100s if not a 1000 a day we are seeing less then 40 a day.

Thanks
tb44
hunter

Re: Woodduck Population?

Postby alans » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm not seeing the usual numbers I see in northeast Louisiana. Yesterday I didn't even see one. Gadwalls aren't here either. Some days the wood ducks show up in force. This is the only year I have not been able to count on the wood duck flight.
alans
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:17 pm

Late hatch...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby southbistineau » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:40 am

At the first of the season we saw a lot of wood ducks. But that didn't last long. We don't see many now.

Last year we had a bunch of gadwalls. We haven't killed a single one this year.

Last year we had Scaup everywhere. Haven't killed a single one this year.

Saw lots of shovelers last year and haven't seen any this year.

Teal were everywhere until it really started getting cold. Haven't seen any in weeks.

But there have been more mallards, even though that hasn't been huge numbers.

We are covered up in canvas backs and didn't kill any last year.

We are seeing a lot of buffle heads.

And ring necks are still everywhere.

We don't get a lot of puddle ducks...
southbistineau
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 pm

Giant salvinia is why you don't see the wood ducks you used to see in NW La.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:02 pm

A5Mag12 wrote:Giant salvinia is why you don't see the wood ducks you used to see in NW La.

Best answer I've seen yet. Giant salvania is a plague.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tb44 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:53 pm

Late hatch for woodies that migrate would explain some of the missing birds, but some should have shown by now.

Missing woodies has NOTHING to do with Salviana. There is zero Salviana north of bistineau in dorcheat bottoms, zero on bodcau, zero on any of the private cypress break holes along river where I hunt. If anything these areas should have improved if salviana was an isssue do to them being forced to use new area without salviana. I will argue right along with you as to salviana being one of the if not most important issue for louisiana bodies of water, but i do not feel it is leading to the absence of woodie populations.
tb44
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Clear lake along with the rest of the Bayou Pierre flood plane raised and supported more wood ducks than any place in NW La. Now that's gone along with the thousands of wood ducks it supported. And there are other areas in the same condition due to salvinia. Clear lake always had wood ducks no matter what was going on in the rest of the state and now there are none. When you add up the lost habitat along with the added pressure on the remaining huntable water from the guys whose water holes look like pastures because of giant salvinia you get low duck numbers.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:37 am

A5,

I agree with you most of the time but im not sure how you can make a statement like "Bayou Pierre flood plane raised and supported more woodducks than any place in NW La." With no fact information to support it you can't make a blind statement to such. There is not over pressure on the places im speaking of. Salviana probably does have something to do with the overall problem we are experienceing though, only time will tell.
tb44
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:50 am

I agree that something has happened to the woodduck population. Each year there seems to be less of them. I have only killed one this year on Catahoula Lake. I was introduced to duck hunting in the early 60's by shooting them on the roost. Most everybody had a place to roost "Squealers" in the evening. Every little brake was full of them. I know a lot of them migrate to Louisiana. I killed a banded one that was banded in Tennessee a few years ago. Maybe the lower numbers are due to late breeding this year, who knows.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 am

got 2 banded from Tn, 1 from Iowa and 1 for New York state.

We used to see flight woodies show up in big groups work bottoms and breaks over like mallards before sitting down not your locals that juzz buzz through knowing exactly where there headed
Last edited by tb44 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
tb44
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:07 am

tb44 wrote:got 2 banded from Tn, 1 from Iowa and 1 for New York state.

New York...wow, that has to be a rare one. I have one from illinois.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby tb44 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 pm

I was extremely surprised when I found out it was banded in new york. It was banded not far from nigra falls.
tb44
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:56 pm

tb44 wrote:I was extremely surprised when I found out it was banded in new york. It was banded not far from nigra falls.

Interesting...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby southbistineau » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
A5Mag12 wrote:Giant salvinia is why you don't see the wood ducks you used to see in NW La.

Hoping this cold is zapping some of the salvania. It is turning brown on Bistineau, but I know it wont get all of it. I think the lake would have to freeze bank to bank.
southbistineau
hunter

Postby southbistineau » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:09 pm

tb44 wrote:Late hatch for woodies that migrate would explain some of the missing birds, but some should have shown by now.

Missing woodies has NOTHING to do with Salviana. There is zero Salviana north of bistineau in dorcheat bottoms, zero on bodcau, zero on any of the private cypress break holes along river where I hunt. If anything these areas should have improved if salviana was an isssue do to them being forced to use new area without salviana. I will argue right along with you as to salviana being one of the if not most important issue for louisiana bodies of water, but i do not feel it is leading to the absence of woodie populations.

Saw quite a few wood ducks while deer hunting at Bodcau this year. Kept meaning to go back and see if we could get into them, but we just keep duck hunting Bistineau.
southbistineau
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Ive got one from laurel Maryland
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:49 pm

Indiana and Northern Alabama are two of the woody bands that I have recovered. Also got my first band on a gadwall this past week. Two year old drake gaddy banded in North Dakota.
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 pm

southbistineau wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Hoping this cold is zapping some of the salvania. It is turning brown on Bistineau, but I know it wont get all of it. I think the lake would have to freeze bank to bank.

the one weakness about salvania is that it can not tolerate any concentration of salt water. ZERO...
seems to me they could put a small trace of salt in the environment to kill it and erradicate it up there.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby southbistineau » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
southbistineau wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

the one weakness about salvania is that it can not tolerate any concentration of salt water. ZERO...
seems to me they could put a small trace of salt in the environment to kill it and erradicate it up there.

The State Biologist working Bistineau stated it would cost too much money and it would create a fish kill.
southbistineau
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:18 pm

southbistineau wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
southbistineau wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

The State Biologist working Bistineau stated it would cost too much money and it would create a fish kill.

Hmm... what kind of fish will it harm?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby mallardman2256 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 pm

Not many in the holes i run in NELA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting