teal hunting

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

teal hunting

Postby tealhunter65 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:59 pm

What decoy spread does everybody use for teal seaeson.Im getting the itch really bad cant wait till they anounce the dates for teal season.
tealhunter65
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:22 am

The dates are out it starts the 15th of September. As far as spread I just a use a big wad of teal decoys, but you can shoot them over anything. They are not the wisest bird in the bunch
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby tealhunter65 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:26 am

smackduck where did you find the dates there not posted on the state site
tealhunter65
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:54 am

there tentative still....i think.

Early Waterfowl Seasons Set by LDWF
From LDWF News Release:

L.W.F.C. SETS TENTATIVE EARLY MIGRATORY BIRD SEASONS

Release Date: 07/10/2007

The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission set the tentative dates for the 2007-08 September TEAL and other early migratory bird hunting seasons at their July 9 meeting.

The length of the September TEAL hunting season is based on the breeding population estimate of blue-winged TEAL. A population estimate below 4.7 million would provide a nine-day season and an estimate above that base line provides for a 16-day season. The 2007 estimate was near a record high of 6.7 million, allowing for a TEAL season of 16 days from Sept. 15 to 30. A daily bag limit of four and possession limit of eight will be allowed.

Rail and gallinules seasons will last 70 days. The first segment will be open from Sept. 15 to 30. The other segment will be set in August with the regular waterfowl seasons. King and clapper rails have a daily bag limit of 15 with a possession limit totaling 30. Sora and Virginia rails have a daily and possession limit totaling 25. Common and purple gallinules have a daily bag limit of 15 and possession limit totaling 30.

Woodcock season will last 45 days from Dec. 18 to Jan. 31. A three-bird daily bag limit and a six-bird possession limit will be allowed.

Shooting and hawking hours for woodcock, rail, TEAL and gallinules are half an hour before sunrise to sunset.

Extended falconry dove season is open from Sept. 17 to Oct. 9. Extended falconry woodcock season is open from Oct. 28 to Dec. 17 and will reopen from Feb. 1 to 11. The falconry daily bag limit is three and possession limit is six birds for all permitted migratory game birds during the extended falconry and regular hunting seasons. Extended falconry seasons for ducks, rails and gallinules will be set in August with the waterfowl regulations.

For more information, contact Dave Moreland at 225-765-2346 or dmoreland@wlf.louisiana.gov.
2007-178
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Thats them and I dont ever recall the tenative dates being changed, so thats them. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:04 pm

No decoys.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:31 am

as far decoys I basically throw out a few of whatever I happen to grab. I dont use drake mallards because of the green heads but it probably wouldnt matter. I do use a mojo and find that it helps where I hunt at. Teal will probably land in the middle of coke bottles if you had them out.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:15 am

I've yet to have a good teal slam during the early season. I'm hoping this will be my year if the storms stay away. Then again, the only time I did take a few teal in my marsh is 2 weeks after Katrina destroyed it! Mojo's can help for visibility and I use my flambeau teal dekes, mostly the hens with no color on them. 7 weeks or so left
yamaha783
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:36 pm

im so freakin ready
opening day of last years season we killed around 80 teal on about 50 acres of land
we had about 2 1/2 dozen teal dekes and one pintail drake who got mixed in
i only hope this year is half as good as last
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am

Teal are some stupid ducks (No offense to any teal logged on to DHC). Just put some decoys out (anykind) Teal will buzz them and land. (I use mallard decoys and kill just as many as everyone else)Thats not the hard part, the hard part is shooting those quick little suckers.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Teal decoys

Postby BigBirds » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:07 am

I throw out a dozen teal decoys just spread them out even if you make a landing zone for them they will still land in the middle of the decoys. I made 10 hunts last year and killed 40 teal. gotta love it.
WAIT!!! let him land first
BigBirds
hunter

Postby sheerperfection » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:17 pm

all i use is hen mallards bout 8 and works good cuz where im at its nothing but summers and teal.
sheerperfection
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting