Duck season winding down

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Duck season winding down

Postby Mr.L » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 am

We had a successful season hunting in Catahoula Lake this year. I have had better and much worse seasons. We have already picked up our decoys. I don't know where all the ducks went to after mid to late December. I seldom hear any shooting out there and most people say about all that is left is divers mostly canvasbacks. It is strange that in years past this is the time when there are usually a lot of mallards everywhere. I don't guess duck hunting on Catahoula Lake will ever be like it use to be.
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Duck season winding down

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:49 pm

[quote="Mr.L"]We had a successful season hunting in Catahoula Lake this year. I have had better and much worse seasons. We have already picked up our decoys. I don't know where all the ducks went to after mid to late December. I seldom hear any shooting out there and most people say about all that is left is divers mostly canvasbacks. It is strange that in years past this is the time when there are usually a lot of mallards everywhere. I don't guess duck hunting on Catahoula Lake will ever be like it use to be.

I'm pretty sure it's not just Catahoula hunters feeling this way. I do believe the entire state, with exceptions of a few moving "hot spots" here and there, experienced the same thing this year. Things change from year to year, and with the VERY late spring we had last year, it just threw everything out of whack. We'll have to watch this spring unfold to see what may be in store for us next season. Hopefully we get an early thaw up north.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:29 pm

I'll be glad to see it go .... and personally I've had one of my best seasons. Unfortunately, it is impossible to separate personal from professional when it comes to the quality of the season.

It has been a strange year; delayed migrations, low bird numbers despite cold temps and ice north of us, great habitat conditions but few birds in southeast Louisiana, unusual bird distributions, difficulties with water management at Catahoula Lake, project delays at Russell Sage and Sherburne WMAs into the season, and extreme hunting reports from best ever to nothing, sometimes from the same location.

I saw the fewest number of ducks today than any hunt of the season, so a grand ending tomorrow is not likely. But honestly, the ending is welcome.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby metalworx » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:05 am

It seems like it was the quickest 60 days ever
gt 1854 with a gtr35
metalworx
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:18 am

Lreynolds, I am glad you had a successful season. We had several great hunts on Catahoula Lake this year. I know you hear a lot of complaints from hunters. Most are about things you have no control over. I know you constantly hear complaints about the water level on Catahoula Lake. I for one was glad the water level was held pretty most constant at or slightly above 29.5 ft this year. This contributed to us having a good season. I also was glad the water was at this level several days before the first split. Last year we didn't have water until about 3 days before the first split ended. I am glad you stayed on top of this and kept the Corps of Engineers vigilant of the water level even though they were short handed. Have you coordinated with the national guard to help in the removal of the water elm and other woody vegetation should the lake dry up enough for clearing work this summer. I know that each year there is only a small window of opportunity to do Catahoula Lake restoration projects. Each year the woody vegetation problem gets worse on the north end of the lake. Was any progress made with the companies who had interest in cutting the woody vegetation for wood chips?
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 am

Second split ducks fell exactly 150 birds short of the past seven seasons' previous worst.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Toledo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Overall we had a good year again. Any time we were willing to get out, scout, and put in the effort we could come up with good hunts. With that said there is no doubt something is messed up. Each year we continue to put in more and more effort to come up with good hunts.

I stand by my opinion that hunting pressure is too high and the birds that are going to migrate here do it prior to Jan 1st regardless of weather.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Original Duckster » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:40 pm

With 3 days left to hunt, I'm running about half of my usual numbers. Been feast or famine. Had some great days and hunted with a lot of friends both new and old. Oh well, as long as there is a season I'll keep showing up.
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Original Duckster wrote:With 3 days left to hunt, I'm running about half of my usual numbers. Been feast or famine. Had some great days and hunted with a lot of friends both new and old. Oh well, as long as there is a season I'll keep showing up.

I'm pretty disappointed I never got an invite.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Original Duckster » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:53 am

Well, I just don't like you. :tongue:

The big ducks finally made it for the last weekend. More Green wings than I've seen in several years too. Delayed migration is my thinking. Larry, do y'all have some idea why other than the ducks had no need to move until the last big cold front?
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:50 pm

Original Duckster wrote:

The big ducks finally made it for the last weekend. More Green wings than I've seen in several years too. Delayed migration is my thinking. Larry, do y'all have some idea why other than the ducks had no need to move until the last big cold front?

What direction was the wind when yall were wearing them out? I just ask because we were duckless when the bitter cold was here in central Texas Friday but there were birds around again when the south wind returned over the weekend.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Original Duckster wrote:

What direction was the wind when yall were wearing them out? I just ask because we were duckless when the bitter cold was here in central Texas Friday but there were birds around again when the south wind returned over the weekend. Pintail and teal. No doubt in my mind they were birds returning from the coast.
Toledo
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Original Duckster wrote:The big ducks finally made it for the last weekend. More Green wings than I've seen in several years too. Delayed migration is my thinking. Larry, do y'all have some idea why other than the ducks had no need to move until the last big cold front?

I don't. It has been consistent all year starting with the teal season, continuing with the November survey and now with the reports from the last week ......... everything was late even with all the colder weather.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby sfc711 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 am

We hammered them Sat at around 3-5PM by Mosquito bend All Greenheads 2 hens 4 pintail, we went back to same blind Sun got there at 3PM hardly saw anything flying until 515 only killed six with 3 hunters. We went to get decoys off The Delta today and all in the fileds were Mallards 1000's of them and Snow geese as well
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Postby Original Duckster » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:08 am

What direction was the wind when yall were wearing them out?

Started out WSW then SW, then almost calm, then NNW light. Very surprising as a WSW and SW wind is usually not good for the blind we hunted. Same blind that Park Duck hunted opening day. Williams lake along the Red was eat up with Greys and Mallards.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 am

North wind is magical and is what mason and rooster are praying for
Park Duck
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting