Catahoula Blind

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Catahoula Blind

Postby ColtonS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:50 am

Well unfortunately duck season is over down here in swla. It was a pretty good season,but I still have a little bit of an itch to scratch. A couple of friends and I are planning to make a hunt next Saturday in the east zone and we are leaning towards going to Catahoula. I know about the history of this area and the many blinds on the lake. We don't want to step on anyones toes and would never hunt someones blind without permission but setting up a boat blind may be tough given the close proximity of the blinds. My question is this, are there any Catahoula hunters with blinds they won't be hunting Saturday and wouldn't mind allowing a few out of towners hunt one. We have boats and decoys and everything, just not a blind. I understand thus may be a long shot. If we can't find a blind we will just hunt from our boat but I figured this may be a little easier and less hassle.Thank you
ColtonS
hunter

Re: Catahoula Blind

Postby Mr.L » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 am

Many hunters including myself have already picked up their decoys. The hunting has been very slow lately. About all that is out there are divers mostly canvasbacks. Most people don't care if you use their blinds as long as you don't trash them or shoot their decoys. You could probably find a blind that the owners have already picked up decoys and given up on hunting for the rest of the year. However, most hunters usually strip their blind of their pine tops when they quit hunting.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby ColtonS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:44 am

We definitely don't mind hunting divers. Given that we can't hunt anymore here anything is better than what we have. And canvasback arent easy to target here anyways. We may try to find a blind without decoys but I really hate the idea of hunting someones blind without permission.
ColtonS
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 am

ColtonS, One more thing, you will need a mudmotor to scout around. You can't go very far with an outboard. I admire the fact that you want to ask permission to use someones blind because so many people use other peoples blinds and vandalize them and shoot or steal decoys. I would let you use mine, but not being familiar with the area, you probably couldn't find it.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby ColtonS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 am

I understand the lake is pretty shallow. We have a go devil or an outboard depending on water level. As far as hunting people's blinds I know its a public lake and technically we can hunt anywhere. But I wouldn't want someone hunting my blind without my permission. Stealing peoples decoys is definitely a low blow though. I had a bag taken out of my truck earlier this season so I understand guys trying to protect there stuff.
ColtonS
hunter

Postby Jayhawker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:32 am

I also appreciate the fact that you have the sense to ask permission to hunt our public water body.
Next year we have plans to sell permits just to come out here. We'll put the money into a good cause. :yes:
You gonna eat that?
Jayhawker
hunter

Postby ColtonS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Hahaha. Good luck selling permits. Might not be a bad idea to do that on some of the public places down here. Way to many people killing MY ducks. Lol, just kidding of course
ColtonS
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting