brainstorming

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

brainstorming

Postby alans » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:31 am

I have went out to pick up my decoys this past week and noticed a substantial amount of ducks are here now. I've noticed on migration reports, la sportsman, etc that people want to hunt in Feb. That got me to thinking about something, look at the cold temps, snow, and ice that we have been having this season. Yet, the ducks never showed. Last year it was a ton of ducks that showed in Feb. I drove through a couple of rice fields this week and noticed that they aren't flooded anymore.' If the fields are being drained due to the fact its not hunting season anymore, anybody could put common logic together and see why ducks are everywhere. They have got to find a place to go. If all fields are being drained from here all the way north, for planting season, its quite possible thats why they have shown up. The gadwalls even made a appearance finally. Last year, was a great year, but i saw tons more in February. I have also considered the fact that no pressure on them is also bringing them back. A friend of mine was coming in from offshore a few weeks back and told me it was countless ducks right off the coast. Said he flew right over them in the helicopter coming back and wishes he had a camera. It is many factors contributing to the lack of ducks. I will be writing this season off as a delayed migration, but if they get a early spring on the breeding grounds, i will be paying attention next year at this time.
alans
hunter

Re: brainstorming

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:43 pm

We always start getting ducks after season closes in my area of Northeast Louisiana. I saw more ducks during the 1 day youth hunt here yesterday than I've seen all season.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby alans » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:43 pm

I hunt in franklin parish and i also saw more ducks in holes they never land in on Friday. Mallards and gadwalls everywhere. I think draining of the fields has started to congregate them.
alans
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:22 pm

For the past 40 years, we haven't seen a large amount of ducks on our farm until the week after duck season.

This is nothing new.
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby alans » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm

And how many flooded fields have been near you for the past 40 years?
alans
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Really? This is stupid!
Park Duck
hunter

Postby alans » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Think about it. It basically proves the theory of either they over pressured or they are all scattered among all the flooded agricultural areas. No big conspiracy of heated ponds. With flooded agricultural fields popping up north of us constantly, it can explain why they show up in force in areas after its drained to farm on. Nothing can be done about pressure or this but can help explain why they magically appear in February. Why they didn't leave the fields after the couple big freezes and stack up here is a question only God knows.
alans
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:29 pm

over pressured
bingo
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 am

I don't doubt some ducks come down late, particularly in years like this when everything's behind schedule, but I'd bet something nice most of the birds folks think are just getting here have simply been wary enough to avoid hunted areas until after the guns have gone.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby alans » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:49 am

True. Look at how they fly immediately to WMAs after 2pm. They know how to avoid it
alans
hunter

Postby Big Hutch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:49 am

We hunted specks in a blind in Klondike this weekend. Saturday with the south wind we saw a ton of flight ducks way up high flying south before the front. This is only the second day I saw that this season. The flight was steady all morning. These were 90% mallards with a few groups of pintails and gadwalls. Sunday morning the water north of us was full of gw teal that weren't there Saturday and most of the ducks we saw Sunday coming from the north were much lower and were birds that had apparently at least spent the night in the area.

If you believe the accuracy of the aerial survey numbers, and I do with a +/- factor, those numbers don't support the theory that these ducks were ducks holding on refuges or on unhunted areas. At least for the number of mallards seen by many in the last week or so. Those numbers don't coincide with the field reports.

Just my 2 cents.
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:01 am

Robbie, where are the numbers you reference, and do you really believe what we've seen this year is representative?

Only surveys I'm aware of are taken during the season in mid January and only show what's arrived since mid December.

I've been enjoying the Klondike duck show, too, but have certainly seen much the same pre-season in years not long past. And not seen it nearly this neat post season in some time.
Last edited by Rick Hall on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am

And how'd the speck hunts go.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Big Hutch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:39 pm

Speck hunts were great. We limited both days on some big mature birds. On Saturday I killed a speck that weighed a little over 7 lbs. That was the biggest speck I have ever killed.

Thanks
Robbie aka Big Hutch
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby Big Hutch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 pm

Rick,

I was referring to the LDWF aerial survey numbers that should be forthcoming from Larry. I should have written that the soon to be released numbers ...

It was quite a show Saturday and Sunday. Especially for the kind of duck season we had.

I still owe you a big cheeseburger... I haven't forgotten.

Thanks.
Robbie
Big Hutch
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:18 am

While I've faith in the survey's numbers being close enough to show the trends they're designed to, I've no faith at all in hunter observations being particularly meaningful. Not even my own.

The numbers most meaningful to me are those through my blind, and while low both splits this season, we averaged 12 ducks a day the first and only 8 per day the second - with 150 fewer total ducks than my previous worst second split. Averaged a little under 5 ducks per day the last week. Most years the early and late parts of the season have run about the same. I flat hated how this season went, but I'd sure not want to give up early days in hopes of the ducks that seem to materialize when the shooting stops being new ones, much less repetition of whatever this year's late migration really has been.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Duckman70301 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 am

Still not many ducks around for a February the reason why you see so many ducks in February. Is lack of pressure no one hunting them and we may get a few ducks but for the most part their no migration !!!
Duckman70301
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Duckman70301 wrote:Still not many ducks around for a February the reason why you see so many ducks in February. Is lack of pressure no one hunting them and we may get a few ducks but for the most part their no migration !!!

Wrong
Park Duck
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting