Cool old duck pic

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Cool old duck pic

Postby Toledo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Lutcher Stark Cameron Parish. Supposed to be 1920s. Great grandfather used to hunt with him during the times this pic was taken.

Toledo
hunter

Re: Cool old duck pic

Postby lsuengineer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Never will those times come again.
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:39 am

So he's why the ducks quit coming.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 am

lsuengineer wrote:Never will those times come again.

Not true
Park Duck
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:25 am

Awesome duck jacket! :thumbsup:
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 am

Featherflage prototype.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:11 am

Pretty much why we have limits today like we do
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Toledo » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

Another one from the Starks and Cameron Parish.

Toledo
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 am

My grandfather use to go to Catahoula Lake in the 20's and kill ducks by the piles. He would come back after dark with a horse loaded with ducks. My grandmother often told me jokingly that she hated to see him coming because of how late they would pick ducks in the night. People were poor then and almost everyone would go to the lake and crawl on huge feeds of ducks. I am not saying this was right and I know there was a lot of market hunting in those days. A person did what they had to, to survive. I have heard people complain that this is why there is a shortage of ducks today and such low limits because of these practices. I don't know. I wonder how much decline in ducks is also due to the liberal limits in Mexico? I looked at Mexico's hunting regulations and could only find a listing for the 1999 season. In 1999, the limit was 15 with a possession limit of 45. It seems as though people who hunt in Mexico benefit from all the work done in the US for waterfowl restoration.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Mr.L wrote: everyone would go to the lake and crawl on huge feeds of ducks.
What does this mean?

It seems as though people who hunt in Mexico benefit from all the work done in the US for waterfowl restoration.

I don't have data to back this up::: BUT....I remember it was discussed a while back on another thread...
First, I would bet that the hunting population of Mexico is very low....therefore, despite the high limits, I bet nationally, their numbers wash out similar to ours...then again...being a lawless state, it is unlikely that they abide by limits or season....

Also, there are global conservation statutes that are agreed upon by nations. These try to give different countries limits that are relative to the amounts of birds they see. Very similar to local limits here, where one county might have a limit of 2 geese, but 20 minutes away, there is an early season, late season and limit of 5..... So we are lucky if the flyway bends in our direction and we get good numbers....but they are lucky because every duck on that flyway is heading to Mexico.....so the concentration is intense and the limits reflect that.

"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:27 pm

A Senior Federal Mississippi Flyway Biologist once told me that the kill breakdown ran 75% in the US, 20% in Canada and just 5% in Mexico, even including "their," mostly Americans, illegal harvest. Was his feeling that the worst thing about Mexico's waterfowling was the "wanna kill a pile" mindset it helped foster here.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Slack Tide, when you crawl on ducks, you get on your belly military style and slip up on them till you are in range to shoot. If you crawl on a huge feed of ducks and shoot into them you will kill and cripple dozens. In south Louisiana people call it "creeping". "Crawling" is a term used in my neck of the woods in central Louisiana. I am not sure if it is still illegal to "creep" on waterfowl.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
What does this mean?

It seems as though people who hunt in Mexico benefit from all the work done in the US for waterfowl restoration.

I don't have data to back this up::: BUT....I remember it was discussed a while back on another thread...
First, I would bet that the hunting population of Mexico is very low....therefore, despite the high limits, I bet nationally, their numbers wash out similar to ours...then again...being a lawless state, it is unlikely that they abide by limits or season....

Also, there are global conservation statutes that are agreed upon by nations. These try to give different countries limits that are relative to the amounts of birds they see. Very similar to local limits here, where one county might have a limit of 2 geese, but 20 minutes away, there is an early season, late season and limit of 5..... So we are lucky if the flyway bends in our direction and we get good numbers....but they are lucky because every duck on that flyway is heading to Mexico.....so the concentration is intense and the limits reflect that.

You must be new to duck hunting
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Park Duck wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
What does this mean?

You must be new to duck hunting

Not sure what you mean......30 years in the game.... :huh:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Rick Hall wrote:A Senior Federal Mississippi Flyway Biologist once told me that the kill breakdown ran 75% in the US, 20% in Canada and just 5% in Mexico, even including "their," mostly Americans, illegal harvest. Was his feeling that the worst thing about Mexico's waterfowling was the "wanna kill a pile" mindset it helped foster here.

Right, so kind of like what I said....
I got a similar story from a retired chief DEC biologist..
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:57 pm

I've seen similar photos from up here as well. Limits are a significant part of this but, the loss of habitat has to be much greater an influence on our numbers than most anything else. Minnesota alone, has lost 95%+ of our wetlands since European settlement. Our production is so insignificant, that we are no longer on the North American Waterfowl Census. The Dakotas, up through SW Manitoba and southern Sask. are losing at an alarming rate as well. The birds are extremely resilient but they need the ability to nest. This is what we are losing. Just my .02....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Lots of Pintail died during the point system. That would be the species that I would point to hunting as a reason the Pintail population took a significant dip. They never recovered and that was before their preferred habitat was in decline.
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Park Duck wrote:You must be new to duck hunting

Still curious about this comment.........
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Ducaholic wrote:Lots of Pintail died during the point system. That would be the species that I would point to hunting as a reason the Pintail population took a significant dip. They never recovered and that was before their preferred habitat was in decline.

My fed biologist friend, the late Art Brazda, said 10 point pintails were probably the worst mistake he saw during his time with the Service. Shoot, even then head state duck biologist, Larry Soileau, told me they had no inkling they'd actually get that when the flyway initially asked for it, was just an opening bargaining position they thought the feds would cut back. But the feds were so anxious to get everyone to agree to locking something in for a five year experimental management period that they didn't argue. 'Course when those locked in limits happened to coincide with serious drought in the PPR, we apparently crossed the threshold where compensatory mortality became additive and made a bad situation worse.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:27 pm

I was fortunate enough to meet Art in 2002. The Man had some duck stories to tell. I also heard something very similar to what you stated so I think there is some validity to it.
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:13 pm

During that period, drake greenwings were all he'd shoot, because mostly nesting above the PPR had spared them the hickie other species were taking. Neat, neat fellow who wasn't shy about speaking on the record.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Slack Tide wrote:

I just figured you were a newbe because you had never heard of creeping.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Park Duck wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:

I just figured you were a newbe because you had never heard of creeping.

Jump Shooting?? Like, walking quietly through the marsh to jump a bird here and there.....yeah...
Crawling face first through mud to sleuce a few dozen birds.....nah...never did that
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting