Hunting baited areas

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Hunting baited areas

Postby eagleheaded » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:16 pm

I was wondering if any of you fellas know of the consequences for hunting ducks and geese over a baited area.
Knock 'em dead Fred!
eagleheaded
hunter

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:21 pm

i know they will take your gun all equipment in feild with you and suspend your licenses for three years and not to mention you will get a monsterous fine
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby eagleheaded » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:25 pm

i understand all of that and i do really appreciate it, but what im getting at is, is there anything concerning hunting on the property that is baited after an individual is caught. Or anything about hunting within a certain distance of a baited area?( Ive got a situation over here!) :mad:
Knock 'em dead Fred!
eagleheaded
hunter

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:30 pm

well i know that as long as the field is baited still and you are hunting it those things will happen to you , the game warden told me that if there is bait anywhere on the property it is an no go
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby tb44 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:34 pm

......I think a place can be baited just not hunted!....It can be hunted 2 weeks after all feed has been consumed/removed.....I believe?
Last edited by tb44 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tb44
hunter

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:41 pm

did you put the corn out for deer
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby eagleheaded » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Im suspicious of an individual out here around one of our farms, and if by any chance we cant hunt this property this season b/c of this fool, somebody's head is goin to look like a bowl full of plums. Ive got a flamin' case of the RED *** right now! The way i understand it is, if bait is found in a particular area, no property within a certain proximity of the bait can be hunted.
Knock 'em dead Fred!
eagleheaded
hunter

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:59 pm

i beleive it is that you cant hunt that property
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:31 pm

By the aid of baiting or on or over a baited area where a person knows or reasonably should know that the area is or has been baited. A baited area is considered to be baited for 10 days after complete removal of any bait. Baiting includes placing, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering of salt, grain or other feed that could serve as a lure or attraction for migratory game birds to, on, or over areas where hunters are attempting to take them. Agricultural areas must be prepared in accordance with official recommendations to be legally hunted. It is a separate offense to place or direct placement of bait on or adjacent to an area that causes, induces, or allows another to hunt by the aid of bait or over a baited area. Hunters are responsible for ensuring that an area has not been baited and should verify its legality prior to hunting. The maximum federal penalties are: for hunting over bait; $15,000/6 months jail, and placing bait; $100,000/1 year jail.

This is from the federal regulations. There are more in depth state regs. If you have any kind of suspision that there an area is baited the best thing to do would be to give the GW a call see what he has to say.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:00 pm

:eek: It aint worth it!
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting