Big Ducks Yet?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Big Ducks Yet?

Postby yamaha783 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Anyone seeing big ducks on the tail end of the teal season? I got reports of grays, pintail, wigeon, and even mallards buzzing teal spreads down here in SE La. Last month of waiting!!
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:05 pm

Yeah I saw spoonies, greenies, and a couple greys
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:36 pm

i seen only a few spoonbills
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:54 pm

i saw almost as many big ducks as i did teal opening weekend. lots of pintail and greys. some widgeon and spoonies also.
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 pm

Spoonies, Pintails, and Mallards
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:17 am

I did forget to add spoonies, buddy had a big group swimming in his spread on Saturday. Gotta love that. Seems that they were in a hurry to get down here.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:56 am

i saw a group of 12 gads come down with that small front last weekend. could tell they were new ducks.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Dont you just love that first of the year new duck. They do everything exactly right. Two passes then flutter over the decoys. They can be a mile away and still come your way with the slightest flutter of a call. :rofl:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:03 pm

I havent noticed any yet..possibly waht you are seeing is local ducks....think yall are jumping the gun a little...with that said i hope im wrong sure would be nice for a good cold winter and be loaded up with ducks by mid november.....

BUT there still calling for 88-90* weather through next friday!
Last edited by tb44 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tb44
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 pm

tb44 wrote:I havent noticed any yet..possibly waht you are seeing is local ducks....think yall are jumping the gun a little...with that said i hope im wrong sure would be nice for a good cold winter and be loaded up with ducks by mid november.....

BUT there still calling for 88-90* whether through next friday!

nope. these werent local ducks these were new birds
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby doylineduckkiller » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:42 pm

i have no idea if they were locals or not but did see an pair of mallards at the red river sunday while fishing not sure about them either
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Spoonies, greys, wigeon, pintail??.......sho ain't local birds......this isn't Minnesota. Granted there are a few mallards here and there that are locals, but the rest are sure migrators. Bear in mind, greys & pintail in particular are photo-period migrators so it doesn't matter if there are no fronts or cold weather at all, as long as the days start getting shorter they're coming no matter what. Can't wait!
yamaha783
hunter

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:04 pm

I agree with you on the pintails being new birds.....but theses our the same birds that our on there way to south louisiana down throught the texas coast and further down all the way to mexico.....As for the greys there are local birds in the state I know a hole in northwest la thats has afew greys on it year around.....And as for having huntable numbers of any ducks there is def not that local or migrators......and unless there is some colder weather to the north with snow in late nov-early dec to cover fields we are going to see another bust this year overall......just the way it is.....I agree they are going to migrate no matter what with shorter days and cool/cold fronts to push them but that doesnt mean they are goign to make it to this state......Minnesota-Arks offers alot of stopping grounds.....

Like I said I hope im wrong....
tb44
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Damn sure aint no local birds. There aint no such thing as local birds around here except for tame ducks and woodrows. It dont take much to get things going and it is october. Season is only 33 days away. Look at the weather up north. IT WONT BE LONG

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Also wanted to add on these early migrators some of you maybe seeing.....these are the youngest of the youngest Which eqauls the dumnest of the dumnest....they dont know anybetter and when the first North wind they can get behind there butt they'll ride it all the way down....this is not the huntable amount of birds.....yet

Cant wait till the opener hope I didnt put a pesamistic mood out there.....haha.....Im going squirrel hunting on sat and our going to be really close to some of my duck holes....Ill keep my eyes open and ear listening...
tb44
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Another bust?? No shortage of birds in my areas, all the grays and wigeon you can stand, just a matter of being smart enough to be where THEY want to be. Most of the people who complain about "not cold enough" are those that rely on the mallard migration which can sometimes not happen till January! Last week of October and my marshes are chock full of grays, it's like clockwork. Last week the weather (lows) in Michigan and the Dakota's was in the 40's and some places hit 30's. Won't be long! I'm going on the Youth hunt so I'll get a little taste a week early, though no shooting for me obviously.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby tb44 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Where I mainly hunt we dont see large amont of birds until late oct-the first 10 days of nov. and that all is on how cold it is north.....Seeing how it is only the first week of oct. it is still early......and seeing how Internatinal Falls, MN Is still not exactly frooze up Im not look for large amount of birds anytime soon......http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U ... undeclared

And yes I perfer mallard hunts...(seeing how I hunt flooded timber and cypress swamps)...gads and wigeon are a close 2nd( dont care at all about divers)

like I said youngest of the youngest and dumnest of the dumnest show up early.....
Last edited by tb44 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tb44
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:51 pm

We like em young and dumb. :rofl: Ill take my six how ever they come.

I worked a group of greys on the teal opener and had greys and spoonies in the spread closing weekend. Theyll be here from here on out. I see em every year brushing blinds from october through the opener.

Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:29 pm

smackaduck wrote:We like em young and dumb. :rofl: Ill take my six how ever they come.

I worked a group of greys on the teal opener and had greys and spoonies in the spread closing weekend. Theyll be here from here on out. I see em every year brushing blinds from october through the opener.

dito. they taste just like the smart ones. the reason i knew these were newbies is because they were riding a cool front, and they were just dots they were so high at first then they eventually worked their way down and circled a few times. that aint local ducks. they didnt know where they wanted to go.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 pm

yamaha783 wrote:Another bust?? No shortage of birds in my areas, all the grays and wigeon you can stand, just a matter of being smart enough to be where THEY want to be. Most of the people who complain about "not cold enough" are those that rely on the mallard migration which can sometimes not happen till January! Last week of October and my marshes are chock full of grays, it's like clockwork. Last week the weather (lows) in Michigan and the Dakota's was in the 40's and some places hit 30's. Won't be long! I'm going on the Youth hunt so I'll get a little taste a week early, though no shooting for me obviously.

come-on now yamaha. you know u cant let the boy have all the fun! :rofl:
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby yamaha783 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:55 am

haha yea you right, it's my first go on a Youth hunt. Will be tough when the big flocks are locking in and the Youth is banging away. This kid can shoot a few clays and has experience in a duck blind so I'm hoping it won't be too painful! And as has been repeated this whole thread, the early birds will be the least educated so hopefully will work the spreads well. The sooner the birds get down here, the less chance they have of getting shot at north of here where the seasons are OPEN!!

Cold or not, in my area...they comin!! good luck to all out there
yamaha783
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:24 pm

Got another report from the Delacroix area in the marsh south of me, more teal showing up along with spoonies and wigeon. Long range forecast shows a decent cool snap about 6 to 10 days out.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Spent the morning in the Biloxi Marsh, saw a couple groups of grays with a lot of mottleds, few teal. Counting down the weeks
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:12 pm

went and checked out the ponds this weekend. still only teal and woodies (plenty of em) but ive seen a couple groups of big ducks on the lake.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby yamaha783 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 am

Checked out some areas in SE La on Sunday. Good numbers of grays working all over the place, nearly called one group into my flat boat. Still a lot of BW teal around but also coots and even a few mallards.

Getting reports of other SE La areas full of grays, some wigeon, spoons, etc. Hoping my Youth hunt this weekend works out
yamaha783
hunter

Next

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting