Baton Rouge Area

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Baton Rouge Area

Postby jcoool98 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:30 pm

Heres the deal... I just moved to Baton Rouge and I am looking for public places to hunt this season... no boat... just me, the dog, and some decoys. Any ideas you guys can give as to where to hunt would be greatly apprecciated. Thanks.
jcoool98
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:30 am

Get a pirogue or at least a canoe and your options suddenly multiply. As for no boat, not many options. Some others may have some help for you. Let me know if you get a pirogue, $350 and you're set.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby jcoool98 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:26 pm

Well, I wasn't thinking... I have a canoe... now any ideas. thanks.
jcoool98
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Go on to the LDWF website and look into local WMA's. There are many where you can launch a pirogue (or canoe) and paddle in to some decent holes, particularly if you can hunt on weekdays and not have to compete with as many people. That website provides lots of info on maps, access, rules, etc. Not sure how far you're willing to drive though, i'd think Sherburne would be your closest bet.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Nathan Hoyt » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Public hunting around BR is thin. Maurepas is southeast of you, Manchac is east of you and Sherburne is west of you. Maurepas left me with a negative impression last year. Manchac is small and may get crowded quick. Sherburne isn't too far and there should be ducks there. Used to be some hunting on Spanish Lake in St Gabriel, but it had a lot of blinds whose owners are pretty possessive and if your feet touch dirt, you are trespassing. The fools probably are building houses on the bank by now. If you feel like a road trip, the Sabine, Calcasieu and Cameron Prairie NWRs are now open and have beautiful marsh. I can't vouch for the ducks yet, but they are all easily accessible to small craft it you aren't scared of a paddle. There is great public hunting all over Louisiana, but most of the really good WMAs require a boat with an engine to access.
Nathan Hoyt
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting