Catahoula Lake fishing

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Catahoula Lake fishing

Postby Mr.L » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:58 am

Is anybody catching any catfish in Catahoula Lake on trot lines or wire catfish traps? I rode around in my boat the other day but I didn't see any fisherman. The bushes are starting to bud out. Usually when that happens, it isn't long before the catfish start biting.
Mr.L
hunter

Re: Catahoula Lake fishing

Postby Original Duckster » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Hey Mr. L. I've had a couple of lines out the past week and a half. Catching was very slow on hotdogs. 4-8 head off 75 hooks in the woods. Drug some ditches Saturday morning for crawfish, baited about noon Saturday, ran at 6pm. Had 38. Sizes ranged from 1 1/2lb. to 10lb. Most were about 2-3lb. Was too rough to run yesterday so I'm gonna go this evening. My sets are in the woods in about 5' of water. Using 1" to 1 1/2" crawfish.
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:00 am

Original Duckster, I just saw your post. I haven't been on here in awhile. Do you know if anyone is catching catfish in wire traps yet? The water has rose with all this rain and I wondered if the fish are in deep water or in shallow water in the bushes. I am thinking about raking a few crawfish and putting out a few hooks in Old River. I thought about putting some lines in the lake, but it is a challenge to run them on these windy days with the waves.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby Original Duckster » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:48 am

This rise has the fish in the bushes chasing the water. At least that is the way it seems to me. I'm starting to see some larger highbacks the past few days. Traps should do ok if you keep them shallow. With the Fishnet folks working the same hours I do it's hard to get cheese. Gonna take a day off and go stock up next week. Beware that there are some no count shifless folks running other peoples lines again. Almost caught some this weekend but they got away before I could get the boat numbers.

The buffalo are doing good in the shallows in hoopnets and webbing. LOT of carp this spring it seems.
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:40 am

Original Duckster, thanks for info. I bait my wire traps with cottonseed meal cubes in a bait bag. You can get a 50lb. sack at Petrus Feed in Alexandria for around $14. It goes a long way. I have used power bait blocks and could not tell any difference in the results other than the high price for the power bait. Cheese is always a good bait but very messy and causes your boat to smell when it drips. I always use 2 liter coke jugs on my trotlines. But like you said, sometimes jack asses see your lines and run them. Good luck fishing. Watch out for those swells on windy days and don't jerk a hook in your hand.
Mr.L
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting