Using a dog on the opener?

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Using a dog on the opener?

Postby Sailor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm headed to Venice for the first time with some buddies and wanted to know if you guys bring your dogs out on the opener? I'd love to bring my chessie with me, but I'm worried about Gators.
Sailor
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:56 pm

if its cold enough you should be ok. we have gators around here on lakes and rivers, never had a problem during duck season, but freak accidents do happen. however, my dentist hunts an area where he is advised by F&G not to use a dog early in the year (must be a heck of a lot of gators there) of course this is north LA. those southern boyz might tell you different. they have more gators down there. id probably go with them.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:41 am

Most people around here use dogs on the opener BUT the temps will be relatively warm next weekend so I'm not sure bout that. May wait one more week where we're expecting some cold.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Sailor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:48 am

Thanks guys. From what I have been told we will be hunting were it is muddy and the water is realtively shallow - less then a foot - do you think big gators would be a problem in those conditions?
Sailor
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:30 pm

I have seen the biggest gator of my life in November in less that 2 foot of water. Me and my dad judged him at around 12-14 foot. Weather will play a big part in if you see anything or not.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:26 pm

Sailor wrote:Thanks guys. From what I have been told we will be hunting were it is muddy and the water is realtively shallow - less then a foot - do you think big gators would be a problem in those conditions?

i say hunt with your dog. i would. less than a foot. you should be fine. id be worried if the water was to deep for the dog to touch, but if your talkin 6 to 8 inches of water. i think you should be ok, and most likely by that time temps "should" be low enough.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Sailor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:03 pm

The 10 day report has the overnight temps at 67 which is too warm, so I'm really starting to think about not taking him. If it was dropping down in the upper 40's at night I think it might cool those big lizards down enough but not at 70 degrees in the night.
Sailor
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:20 pm

do what u feel sailor. now that i think bout it, i sure would hate to tell u to take him and ur dog get eaten. so, just for the record. i take my dog teal hunting, dove hunting over water, and he hunts every hunt with me cold or hot. never had a problem with gators. ive seen them on the way to the blind, but gators are scared of us like any other animal. never had one stick around while we were hunting. i keep my eye on my dog, but never been worried. (probably cuz ive grown up here and if i didnt bring him every time the weather was warm or the water was deep, then i wouldnt need a dog.) ok, now that i said that my dog will be eaten on the opener. :lol:

i do applaud your concern for your dog. if something happened to jack id have quit hunting probably, there would be a dead gator though. so if you are concerned then dont bring your dog.
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Nathan Hoyt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:34 pm

I used to hunt Pointe aux Chenes WMA and I have heard many horror stories about gators. Yeah, they are a risk. On the other hand, I will not hunt without my dog. There are so many things that could happen to a dog the rest of the year that are a heck of a lot more likely to happen than a gator bite. It is kinda like lightning strike or being hit with a meteorite... sometimes it is just your time to go. Also, I am a vet, so I can be a little more cavalier because I am gonna be the fool putting my dog back together if something happens. But heck, you've got a Chessie. Those things are supposed to retrieve gators.

The little gators that could break a leg are generally scared of your dog. Most labs churn up as much mud and water as a Go-Devil on the way out and the little gators take off. Big gators don't sneak up in shallow water, you see them coming... act accordingly.

The gators are pretty tough on cripples and will often beat you to them if they are around. I don't believe you should send your dog on 300 yard retrieves without you being there to shoot the bird again if necessary, so pay attention while you are at it.

Nathan
Nathan Hoyt
hunter

Postby Sailor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:09 am

Well I'm swinging back to taking him, like you guys duck hunting without a dog is like duck hunting without a gun. I've taken him places before and made him sit in the boat due to deep water so I am starting to think he's going now. I'll post a picture or two when I get back.
Sailor
hunter

Postby doylineduckkiller » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:39 pm

i say use your dog i am gonna use mine , i think if an gator ate my dog i would end up going to jail
doylineduckkiller
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting