High School Football

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

High School Football

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:23 pm

Do any of you have any local High School Football teams that you keep up with on a regular basis? If so, whose the team to beat this year in your area.

I graduated from West Monroe High School many years ago and try to at least listen to their games on Friday nights. We keep season tickets since my son will be playing for them in a couple of years, but really don't have time to make any of the games. With ESPN doing a show about them and recording all of their games, they have been blowing most teams out of the game by the end of the 1st quarter; until tonight. They apparently thought they were going to have an easy game against Capt Shreve tonight and didn't dress some of the starters who aren't 100% healthy. Also, they didn't anticipate the starting QB getting hurt on the first play and have to be taken to the hospital. With less than a minute left in the first half, Capt Shreve was up 20 - 0. Luckily, WM was able to put together a scoring drive in the last 40 seconds of the first half and put 7 points on the board.

They were finally able to regain their composure in the second half of the game and go on to win in 35 - 20, but it had us nervous for a while.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:55 am

Last night was our last game that finished a terrible season, but at least we won that one. we went 1-9 this year.
If I had to guess the teams to beat would be John Curtis and Evangel. Menard and Many High are 2 other good teams.
Chuck Norris bites the hand that feeds him,and eats their entrails.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:51 am

John Curtis and Evangel always have good teams. They never seem to have a lack of talent. I have always enjoyed watching them play, even if it means a loss to my team.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby duck huntin mamou » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:00 pm

The reason that they always have good teams is that they have big enough schools that they have alot to choose from and im sure they do a little bit of recruiting.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby sheerperfection » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:06 pm

i plyed for Destrehan and follow them when i get the chance i kno they won last night 9-7 againt Dutchtown and ended 10-0..........
sheerperfection
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:36 pm

another reason for evangel always bein good is ALOT of their players are held back when they're younger on purpose in order for them to be older and stronger than everyone else by the time they reach high school sports. I played against them in baseball and know for a fact that a majority of there team was two years older than us. a few even three years older.

Not sayin thats the only reason for their success because its not. but it def plays a factor.
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:10 pm

DC Killer,

For a while, all of your major contenders had their share of holdbacks. West Monroe was always accused of having a majority of holdbacks on their teams. After the rules where changed regarding holdbacks, West Monroe still continues to have a team that dominates most teams that they play. Another thing that teams are accused of is recruiting. I have known several players that everyone claimed were recruited by various teams, however, each of these guys moved to WM for their own reasons, they were not recruited. (Interestingly enough, one of these players, Brady James, is on TV as I type this. For those of you that don't know, he played for WM, LSU and now the Dallas Cowboys.)

On a side note, I am amazed as I watch games on Sundays and Monday nights, at the number of players that came from Louisiana. We definately produce a lot of the talent in the NFL.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby DC KILLER » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:16 pm

your absolutely right. they can't and i guess don't "recruit." but i just wonder how many of those incoming athletes from other areas have been.....persuaded by coaches, you might call it....rather than coming for their "own reasons"?
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:29 pm

DC KILLER wrote:I played against them in baseball and know for a fact that a majority of there team was two years older than us. a few even three years older.

Not sayin thats the only reason for their success because its not. but it def plays a factor.
I guess that would explain JD Booty in college at 17. Evangel gets the top talent because the parents of top players know that the stands are always full of college recruiters.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 pm

Its like the old saying, "Build it and they will come". Your teams that are powerhouses every year don't really have to recruit because a highly talented player would rather move inside the zones of a powerhouse team where they get better recognition. Personally, I don't believe it is fair, but if they can't prove that athletics had anything to do with their move, there is nothing that can be done about it.

Like I stated earlier, I have a son that will be playing for WM in a few years. I hope my son, who will be a third generation WMHS student from our family, doesn't have to sit the bench because some standout from a weaker school wants more recognition from the scouts. But, can you blame someone for wanting the best for their children?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:16 pm

around here its calvary and evangel.

and i got something to add on this other discussion. it all depends on what u consider "recruiting". sure these coaches might not be able to offer money and stuff, but ive noticed those coaches get VERY friendly with the parents of upcoming talent. i think its very ironic that a 1A or 2A. school can quickly produce a number one team in the state. its amazing how all that talent landed right in the laps of the coaches and they never said a word. and yes, i understand that a "powerhouse" team draws talent, but how do think they became so good. coincidence? why not any other school that has so many students to choose from? this is a matter of whether you're willing to overlook it or not. just because you cant "prove" it doesnt make it right.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:59 pm

exactly
You want to know something else that sucks is that a small school like Mamou High School has to play John Curtis in the first round of the playoffs. I personally feel bad for em.
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby A5Mag12 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:55 pm

As horrible as North West La. public schools are parents will use any means necessary to get their kids into private schools, sports ability is a bargaining tool even in high school.
A5Mag12
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:59 pm

A5Mag12

Like i said, i played against them in baseball. and i said a majority of them were older. not every single one of them. alot of their baseball players were also football players. and boy we sure enjoyed kickn their arss, cause our school's football team sure as hell couldn't do it.

And nobody can prove that schools like these recruit....but like greenhead grappler said, i mean come on.... you can't deny that some type of "recruiting", or whatever you wanna call it, wasn't done to get these teams to the level they are today. I know at once Evangel was 5A with way less students than other schools in that class. yet they always had way more talent to choose from????? If it didn't get this way by "recruiting" then how did it.......
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting