Proposed Season Dates

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Proposed Season Dates

Postby yamaha783 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:41 am

Building off of the survey thread, the proposed dates are below. You're feedback would be much appreciated by Larry/LDWF.

July 3, 2014 -- The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission received the proposed duck hunting dates for the 2014-2015 season from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) at their monthly meeting.

The dates presented reflect another 60-day season for Louisiana hunters across the coastal, east and west zones.

The proposed dates and splits for the upcoming season are as follows:

Coastal Zone: Nov. 8 - 30; and Dec. 13 - Jan. 18; Youth Hunt Nov. 1 - 2.

East Zone: Nov. 22 - Dec 7; and Dec. 13 - Jan. 25; Youth Hunt Nov. 15 and Jan. 31.

West Zone: Nov. 15 - Dec. 14, and Dec. 20 - Jan. 18; Youth Hunt Nov. 8 and Jan. 24.

These proposed dates reflect preferences noted in past waterfowl hunter surveys conducted by the Department via mail-out and on-line survey forms. Final approval of season dates will be made at the August Commission meeting.

The 2014-15 duck season framework provides for a daily bag limit of six (6) and a possession limit of eighteen (18). Federal and state waterfowl stamps are required to hunt waterfowl.

For more information or to comment on proposed dates, contact Larry Reynolds at 225-765-0456 or lreynolds@wlf.la.gov .
yamaha783
hunter

Re: Proposed Season Dates

Postby Jarren » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:01 am

I'd like the costal zone to open on the 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jarren
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 pm

I wouldn't mind the 15th for the coastal zone either. Although, I'm not quite sure what kind of a difference a week would make, if anything. I've read that they could do the 15th with a 12 day split and the closing would be the 25th of January. Heck, I'll just take whatever comes and enjoy my time in the blind.

I've looked back at the last four years and the opening dates were on the 2nd weekends in November. The bird numbers were good in those years, for us anyway, with the exception of last year. I still think the late nesting screwed it up, and we'll soon find out........... Teal will tell the tale.....
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:32 pm

When I ran the numbers for the first and last couple weeks in my Coastal Zone blind for the six seasons prior to this past one they came out almost dead even when averaged, suggesting no advantage to a shift in either direction. Last year was the worst of my seven in that blind and hopefully an anomaly, but we averaged 12 birds a morning for the first split and only eight for the second split - with but a four bird per morning average the final week.

Bottom line is that I think they have our framework about as right as it can be over the long haul. Unless, that is, the next season or two goes like this past one, in which case I may be lobbying for an October opener...
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 am

For coastal zone guys in particular, especially those actually in the marsh, it's a roll of the dice on matching arriving birds to opportunity in the blind. My scouting log shows that in 2008 we had grays wall to wall by October 20th then had to wait around for looong weeks watching them before we could bring the guns. There's other years showing essentially empty marshes until Nov 2nd-5th or so, in some cases closer to the 10-11th. Some years i'd have wanted an Oct 20 opener (or Halloween at latest) and some years wanted it Thanksgiving week. Like Rick said, what we've got is essentially the most reasonable medium between those options.

Interestingly enough for me last season....my pre-season scouting revealed more mallards in our SE La coastal marsh than grays..HUH??? They were even prevalent on the youth hunt. So it's like our usual suspects of early migrators were not here, but mallards were, bizarre. Hoping it was an anomoly.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks for posting this!

Remember to e-mail or phone me; I won't be collecting any comments from facebook, websites, etc. I know at least a couple of you already have. Thanks!

I too believe we have the Coastal Zone set right based largely on these 2 pieces of information:

1. the weeks that hunters most want to hunt ducks from the 2012 Louisiana Waterfowl Hunter Survey

2) the harvest in the old West Zone by week of the season in SW, SE, and NW parishes over a 10-year period where the season was consistent (second Saturday in Nov. opener, 23 days, 12-day split, and then 37 days ending the weekend before the end of the framework)

The first table shows almost identical support for the second week in November and the fourth week in January, and the harvest data clearly show solid kills in that second week in November with declining kill and probably participation in the late season.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:46 pm

However, it's hard to deny events of late:

1) 7 of the 10 lowest November surveys on record have been flown in the last 10 years. Another way of saying it is that in the last 10 years, only the November surveys flown in 2006, 2007, and 2011 were NOT among the 10 lowest on record. Fewer ducks are getting here in November. That doesn't mean NO ducks are getting here ...... fewer only means fewer.

(Some of the public comment I'm getting suggests we can't kill squat with the traditional opener, which is clearly NOT true as per the chart above!)

2) Bruce Davis did an analysis for Delta Waterfowl of the harvest data over the past 50 years, and showed that the average harvest date had moved from 5 days to 2 weeks later. Now some of that might be accounted for by later duck seasons since 2002, but average harvest dates for mottled ducks and wood ducks had not changed.

3) The calendar is as early as it can possibly be this year. The second Saturday in November is the 8th; next year it will be the 14th.

4) If we push the Coastal Zone season date back a week this year, Nov. 15 - Dec. 7 for the first split, it will be exactly 1 day later than the traditional dates next year, Nov. 14 - Dec. 6.

I just heard another reason for moving the Coastal Zone season later ........ LSU has Alabama at home Nov. 8th! :lol3: :lol3:
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Lreynolds wrote:I just heard another reason for moving the Coastal Zone season later ........ LSU has Alabama at home Nov. 8th! :lol3: :lol3:

:lol3: No better way to have it for opening day. A nice morning in the blind, then stirring the pot in the afternoon while watching some good football :thumbsup: Unless you have season tickets......

Thanks for posting, Larry.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:34 am

As always where your sitting on opening day is what matters most... :beer:
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:21 am

D Comeaux wrote:
Lreynolds wrote:I just heard another reason for moving the Coastal Zone season later ........ LSU has Alabama at home Nov. 8th! :lol3: :lol3:

:lol3: No better way to have it for opening day. A nice morning in the blind, then stirring the pot in the afternoon while watching some good football :thumbsup: Unless you have season tickets......

LSU '06 grad with season tickets..........would still rather be doing the pot stirring at the camp. If LSU wins, you go hunting the next morning. If LSU loses, you go hunting the next morning. And the September tailgates in the stifling heat......no thanks! Rather the early morning teal hunt then park in front of TV

PS I've seen these graphics many times over the last few years, both at the commission meetings and posted on sites.......blows my mind that people continue to bang the drum to hunt late when the bag surveys show that they're not hardly killing anything, in general. And, my own observations (and not sure if the formal bag check surveys reflect it) is that far fewer people even hit the blind that late in season. Two years ago we were stackin' till the last day but in general the birds are smart and, for us marsh hunters, we've got no water. See mud flats in photos below

Capture.JPG
last morning of season Jan 2012
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:49 am

I hunt Central La. ag and backwater lakes and sloughs so other than opening day I would rather hunt in December than any other month. If I had to choose it would be January over the other days in November as well. Reason being it's the fronts that roll thru in December that give La. its largest push of ducks and by January a lot of the newbies and ya-hoo's that have joined the game in the last ten years have hung it up by then.

If it were up to me we the East Zone would open the Friday after Thanksgiving for 3 days followed by a 5 day split then I'd let it season run for 57 days straight.
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:02 pm

yamaha783 wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:

LSU '06 grad with season tickets..........would still rather be doing the pot stirring at the camp. If LSU wins, you go hunting the next morning. If LSU loses, you go hunting the next morning. And the September tailgates in the stifling heat......no thanks! Rather the early morning teal hunt then park in front of TV

PS I've seen these graphics many times over the last few years, both at the commission meetings and posted on sites.......blows my mind that people continue to bang the drum to hunt late when the bag surveys show that they're not hardly killing anything, in general. And, my own observations (and not sure if the formal bag check surveys reflect it) is that far fewer people even hit the blind that late in season. Two years ago we were stackin' till the last day but in general the birds are smart and, for us marsh hunters, we've got no water. See mud flats in photos below

Capture.JPG

Oh let me tell ya, the pot stirring I was referring to would definitely be at the camp. The football is an extra, if I happen to catch the game.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Oh I knew what you meant, we're on the same page. Catch the game, but also planning (scheming) the next hunt. :beer:

Look forward to it!
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Duckman70301 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:20 am

I too am happy with the dates I kill way more duck 1st split than 2nd so the earlier the better
Duckman70301
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Big change for the Coastal Zone No. 15 - Dec 7 & Dec 20 - Jan 25

West and East remain as proposed...Coastal Youth Nov. 8-9
Ducaholic
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Grrr...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Mr.L » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Lreynolds, you stated that 7 out of 10 November surveys show lowest amount of ducks on record. You also stated that there are fewer ducks migrating at this time. Do you have a possible explanation as to why fewer ducks are migrating? Is it possibly environmental, man-made, or changes to hereditary traits in ducks in general? Over the last several years there seem to be less and less flight days. I have heard people say that the weather doesn't get as cold. Last year's polar vortex issues didn't seem to make any difference.
Mr.L
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:01 am

Rick Hall wrote:Grrr...

So what happens to the folks who had booked for the usual second split opening weekend and the week to follow? Looks like our coming just before Xmas will be right on the heels of the 2nd split opener, following the change.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:28 am

Adrienne is trying to sort through that mess as I type, and I sure don't envy her the task.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:01 am

Yea I figure that's a nightmare (and a bummer for those who booked in that week of usual open season). Losing a week in December (13th through the 19th) I just dont see as a good idea
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Your right! That's about the time we see a major influx of mallards and GWT and a very good dose of arctic air. Happens like clock work every season.
Ducaholic
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting