Unguided Hunts

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Unguided Hunts

Postby Alex.18 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:28 pm

I have a few options with my lease this year. i have land that has 2 blinds on it, so i'm curious what the level of interest would be if i "rented out" one of the blinds for scheduled, unguided, 3 man hunts. thinking of maybe doing it for teal season only. if you or know someone who would be interested, let me know. the property is in gueydan, la and im not sure what the price would be but just for the sake of drawing interest, say $300 a day
Alex.18
hunter

Re: Unguided Hunts

Postby cobbeaux » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

It's not a bad idea, but I would say you're a little high on the asking price, even for Gueydan. If you're talking about big duck season, you're right around the ball park, if its hunting all day(ie leave and come back if limit is not filled in the morning). If for just for teal season, you'd be hard pressed to find someone to pay that for a quick shoot. Another question: Who's supplying the decoys? You or the hunters? I like the idea, just may want to rethink the price a bit. Hopefully, you'll get some other suggestions from the guys in here.
Awwww man, I can't believe I did dat!

Red Leg Waterfowl Field Staff
cobbeaux
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:20 am

cobbeaux wrote:It's not a bad idea, but I would say you're a little high on the asking price, even for Gueydan. If you're talking about big duck season, you're right around the ball park, if its hunting all day(ie leave and come back if limit is not filled in the morning). If for just for teal season, you'd be hard pressed to find someone to pay that for a quick shoot. Another question: Who's supplying the decoys? You or the hunters? I like the idea, just may want to rethink the price a bit. Hopefully, you'll get some other suggestions from the guys in here.

thanks cobbeaux. yea i would provide 4 dozen teal deeks. but anyone would be welcome to bring their own. im working on an ad right now. ill post it up as a sample once i get it all done. you really think $300 for the whole day is high for a 3 man blind? thats only $100 a person. maybe i'll do a weekend deal for about $500 for all day sat and sun...?
Alex.18
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:03 pm

I like the concept and may even be interested at some point. May also want to consider the legal ramifications of it.......people are crazy now, and stupid as ever, so don't want to end up with a situation. Maybe some kind of waiver? Keep us posted
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:29 pm

yamaha783 wrote:I like the concept and may even be interested at some point. May also want to consider the legal ramifications of it.......people are crazy now, and stupid as ever, so don't want to end up with a situation. Maybe some kind of waiver? Keep us posted

this is the exact reason i made this post. so that i can get an "outside looking in" point of view. that is an excelent idea yamaha. i prob never would have thought of that
Alex.18
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:52 pm

If it's a day lease, you will probably have to check it each afternoon to make sure decoys are in place and blind isn't trashed.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:21 am

La. Hunter wrote:If it's a day lease, you will probably have to check it each afternoon to make sure decoys are in place and blind isn't trashed.

Probably should read "...check it to make sure decoys are still there, rebrush the blind and haul trash."
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:49 am

Rick Hall wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:If it's a day lease, you will probably have to check it each afternoon to make sure decoys are in place and blind isn't trashed.

Probably should read "...check it to make sure decoys are still there, rebrush the blind and haul trash."

Coming from a local guide in the know. As I said, people are crazy and as stupid as ever these days.....will walk off with your dekes and leave behind the snack wrappers, beer cans :hammer: , shell boxes, etc. But when and if it works out, would be nice revenue stream for you and could potentially give some that usually hunt elsewhere some decent rice hunting at a bargain price.
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:58 pm

How does this look for an ad?

2014 TEAL SEASON UNGUIDED HUNTS! Rent a three(3) man blind in a rice field for a Teal hunt in Gueydan, LA.

DAILY RATE - $300
WEEKEND RATE - $500
A non refundable deposit of $100 will be required to book your hunt.

For more information or to book your hunt today, email me at myemailaddress@gmail.com

THIS WILL NOT BE PART OF THE AD. If someone emails me, i will send them this:
NO ONE UNDER 18 IS ALLOWED IN THE BLIND(liability) and there will be a 3 person limit to your group. Each person in the group will be required to sign a waver stating that I will not be held responsible for anything that happens to you while you are on the property and that you will obey the guidelines below (explained in more detail) before you come on the property. Please understand that someone will be hunting on the same property as you but your hunt will not be affected by them. Four(4) dozen teal decoys will be provided but you are welcome to bring your own to use also. All that I ask of you is:

1. Obey the Louisiana hunting laws
2. Be safe and courteous to other hunters
3. Put decoys back in the blind after your hunt and leave the blind how you found it
Alex.18
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Mine is far from the last word on it, but I can recall a liability insurance salesman telling our camp owner that waivers don't count for pecans when push comes to shove. Something I'd want to look into and cover my ass on, least getting some cash return on a lease investment cost me my house.

As is how your landowner feels about the commercial use of his property. Wouldn't want PO someone leasing me a good spot.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:24 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Mine is far from the last word on it, but I can recall a liability insurance salesman telling our camp owner that waivers don't count for pecans when push comes to shove. Something to consider.

As is how your landowner feels about the commercial use of his property.

Land owner said he is fine with it as long as i know i am responsible for anyone i bring. As for the waiver, i get what your saying, but i think it will sway the people a little from doing the wrong thing if they know they have signed something stating that they wont
Alex.18
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:05 am

You might even consider solely doing it word of mouth as ads like that one on local sites are sure to draw in the masses (and inevitable riffraff)

Will it be weekend only?
yamaha783
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:21 am

yamaha783 wrote:You might even consider solely doing it word of mouth as ads like that one on local sites are sure to draw in the masses (and inevitable riffraff)

Will it be weekend only?

Nope. Any day of the week during teal season
Alex.18
hunter

Postby cobbeaux » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:31 am

Alex.18 wrote:
cobbeaux wrote:It's not a bad idea, but I would say you're a little high on the asking price, even for Gueydan. If you're talking about big duck season, you're right around the ball park, if its hunting all day(ie leave and come back if limit is not filled in the morning). If for just for teal season, you'd be hard pressed to find someone to pay that for a quick shoot. Another question: Who's supplying the decoys? You or the hunters? I like the idea, just may want to rethink the price a bit. Hopefully, you'll get some other suggestions from the guys in here.

thanks cobbeaux. yea i would provide 4 dozen teal deeks. but anyone would be welcome to bring their own. im working on an ad right now. ill post it up as a sample once i get it all done. you really think $300 for the whole day is high for a 3 man blind? thats only $100 a person. maybe i'll do a weekend deal for about $500 for all day sat and sun...?

Sorry. Thought you meant $300 a person. Most certainly not a bad price on that then. $100 is going rate.
Awwww man, I can't believe I did dat!

Red Leg Waterfowl Field Staff
cobbeaux
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Meeting with the boys tonight. Gonna try to get this thing going for monday
Alex.18
hunter

Postby singingwhodat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:47 am

I could probably get a few guys together and give you some business. I will make a few calls today and let you know
singingwhodat
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting