Duck Hunting Forum banner

Anyone hunt Toledo Bend?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mamoumudder 
#1 ·
Just got a camp there and I am interested in doing some duck hunting as well as fishing. Anyone with any experience or info about duck hunting on Toledo Bend, please lemme know what you can. All comments are appreciated.

#3 ·
Camp is right off of hwy 1215 (near lanan) midlake. I plan to hunt a large cove by our camp, basically just use waders and stand near trees/stumps with a few decoys. Is that how most hunt toledo--I thought about using a boat blind but was told that hunting that way was not too common there and was not as effective as hunting shallow coves.

#6 ·
The duck huntin is not like it use to be there. We use to swat the hell out of jacks redheads cans and every other kind of duck you can think of. In the last few yrs the only ducks that have been there in numbers are cans. The trick is not to just throw out just a few decoys but throw out 10 dozen mostly coots mixed with cans and bluebills. With this spread you will decoy any diver or puddle duck there. Yes stay away form the blind. Toledo gets some HUGE blinds on it it's crazy. We kill more ducks hiding the boat real good and wading the deepest possible and standing next to stumps. If you ever want to make a hunt pm me.

#7 ·
I was wondering about coot decoys, since I see so many coots in the coves at certain times of year. Guess I'm gonna have to save the mallard dekes and invest in some canback decoys--will convert the cheap mallard decoys to coot with some black and white paint. I appreciate the help and maybe we will get a chance to make a hunt together this year. I look forward to exchanging more info with you.
Rick Dupuis

#9 ·
we usually just stand in the buckbrush but this year im making a blind out of my pontoon boat so that my wife can hunt with me.i tried to get her to buy some waders but that didnt go over real well.i won't print her reply as it is not very nice. but if the boat will get her involved it is worth it. p.m me and maybe we can set up a hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.