goose hunt 2008...pics.

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

goose hunt 2008...pics.

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Our goose hunt to lubbock tx. was awesome as expected... our group shot 67 geese (15 greater and 52 lesser Canadas), 21 sandhill cranes and 3 pheasants. The pheasant hunt could have been better but the weather was warm and calm; the birds were flushing wild at 50-60 yds. which made for some tough shots...

Highlight of the hunt was a lone Brant that landed in the spread... (The guides kill only one a year so this is a rare bird in Lubbock) I got up to flush it to shoot it and the guides dog beat me to it and caught it from behind.. that bird didn't know what happened! The guide said that it's bad luck to kill a bird that the dog catches ... so needless to say, that bird was released. Never heard of that superstition before... anyone else ever hear of that? Would have been an awesome bird to mount... not a mark on it! Got some pics of the guide holdin the bird in the field to prove it happened, and pic of the release- will post when I can. But I respect the guides restraint.. he's only ever seen 3 before and wants one bad for the wall... Also got an invite by the guide to go hunt his personal blind and shoot some Maxima canada geese (15-18 pounders!!) in colorado in february... so I'm lookin forward to that trip now.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:12 pm

Cool hunt. As soon as I get the time one of these years I'm going to go on a trip like that.
What kind of field is that? Looks nearly empty.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 pm

peanut field south of lubbock that has been harvested and disked. peanuts are goose magnets.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby louisiana duckman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:34 pm

awsome i need to do that one year
ROLAND CORTEZ
The real duckman

RNT- it's what we do
duck killing thats what we do
louisiana duckman
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Yep. it's a peanut field.. But they also hunt milo and corn fields

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby sfc711 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:55 pm

That's what i want to do. How much is the cost. All I got is time on my hands being a 44yo retired disabled vet. Thanks,Gary
Gary D Robinson
sfc711
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:39 pm

contact Blackfoot guide service in Lubbock TX. Google blackfootguideservice or PM me for the number.
Cost is 200 a day per hunter, minimum of six hunters. If you want to hunt fewer than six, it is still 1200. We hunt three days, this year 9 of us made the trip. License is only 45.
Tell em Paul and Keith from Gonzales sent you. We've had a group go for the last 10 years and we always go back.
Here's some pics from last year too...
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Re: goose hunt 2008...pics.

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 am

Here's a pic. of the guide and his dog with the Brant...took a while to get the photo....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:42 pm

Indaswamp wrote: Highlight of the hunt was a lone Brant that landed in the spread... (The guides kill only one a year so this is a rare bird in Lubbock) I got up to flush it to shoot it and the guides dog beat me to it and caught it from behind.. that bird didn't know what happened! The guide said that it's bad luck to kill a bird that the dog catches ... so needless to say, that bird was released. Never heard of that superstition before... anyone else ever hear of that?

Never thought of it as superstition, but I've always released any birds the dogs catch without serious injury. Just seems... well, like the right thing. Since my guys are steady, they've never caught a goose in the spread. But last year this one:

escaped the gumbo pot by virtue of being caught, rather than shot. And while the dog didn't catch it, per se, he was first to find that it had fallen into a grass covered pit blind we'd gone to open (so no tractor or hand would fall in) after speck season closed:

The retrievers' most common catches are gallinules and rails trapped before they can flush, but the current Brittany has reached up and snagged two woodcock I flushed low over his points and accomplished the neatest fielding I've seen to date. Was well out from me and running hard downwind across close-grazed pasture where no quail should be, when he busted a scattered covey and made a leaping spin that landed him facing the direction the covey blew out. True to his training, he held his stop-to-flush, and rather than release him remotely with a whistle, I walked over to see if I could reinforce that stop-to by flushing a "sleeper". But was surprised when I got there to see little Kie was, in fact, still holding a live bird he'd somehow snagged when the bunch busted. And don'tcha know he was thinking "Well, piddle!" when I let it fly off.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:18 am

Rick,

It probably was the right thing to do...But I really wanted that bird for the wall!! I saw it swing in to land on my side of the spread. I hesitated on shooting because I don't see many brant in the wild and wasn't sure if in fact that was what it was. Also we were letting the guide call the shots. his dog got jelous watching my dog work all morning and broke- the guide was dumbfounded. She never breaks he said-but she doesn't hunt in the field with other dogs very often. I took it o.k.-my dogs have embarrassed me plenty-when you least expect it they will show their ***.....

When his dog brought the bird back, I looked at the guide and said, "pull!" -he laughed and said we really should let this one go. one of the guys in the pits rolled over and snapped a pic of him with the bird.....we ended up with a limit of canada geese that morning so it was a good hunt...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby louisiana duckman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Inda

yall pullen the camp boat to wax back this year might need a place to crash :yes: the wax looks pretty right now I we can hook up for a hunt this year :bow:
louisiana duckman
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:51 pm

louisiana duckman wrote:Inda

yall pullen the camp boat to wax back this year might need a place to crash :yes: the wax looks pretty right now I we can hook up for a hunt this year :bow:

Yep, we're pullin it down again this year. matter of fact, we worked on it today. You been down there yet-I assume that the grass has come back after last year.....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Bump after a good read....We are heading back to lubbock this year... :beer:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting