teal opener

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

teal opener

Postby speckslayer » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:12 pm

hunted sat and sun south of kaplan. 4 men 4 limits sat. 5 men 3.5 limits sun.

got my first banded bird today blue wing drake. been waiting 15 years for it but it was worth it. saw tons of teal lots of shooting around us. hopefully we'll all have great seasons.
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Re: teal opener

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:16 am

speckslayer wrote:hopefully we'll all have great seasons.

Hopefully we will too. Another season like last year, and I will have to strongly consider whether or not it is worth duck hunting.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:28 pm

Sounds like you did a little better than us. Saturday two of us limited out. Sunday three of us Zeroed out. Saw a fair number of birds saturday lots of mallards for some reason. But sunday only saw about 10 total.

Hope everyone has a good season. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby speckslayer » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:39 pm

yeah we saw quite a few big duckshad about 20 pintail land in the decoys not 20 yards out. hopefully its a good sign
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:23 pm

Well went scouting on friday before the season started saw 150 or so in my hole. Went sat morn and they done hauled ass only saw 10 and killed one. They hauled ass with the clear skies and full moon. I'm guessin you fellas are on rice fields south of me.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby BLUE DUCK » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:26 pm

The weather for the opener was pitiful. Much worse than last year. Up here we are in the middle of a severe drought. We havent had a decent amount of rain since late spring. The teal arent much to be had. I limited out despite the fact i was hunting guerilla style on a state reserve with the rest of the world. I wonder how long a lot of these "hardcore" duck hunters on their fancy leases in their heated blinds could make it doing it that way?
"Shoot it man. Shoot it in the head."
BLUE DUCK
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:20 pm

I hear you on the rich hunters blue duck. :cool:
This weather is absolutely terrible, Im sure yours is just about like us. It has been hot and dry all summer long. It was 102 today officially. We managed to limit out saturday but theres not water where it should be. Ive had a blind in the same spot for the past 12 years and always had water around it, never less than 12". Saturday we hunted around 100 yards in front of my blind that was the closest water.

Everyone in north louisiana PRAY for rain. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:59 am

I hope that Hurricane Rita doesn't cause major destruction, but I do hope that we get plenty of rain from it here in the Monroe area. Like Smackaduck, I have several blinds that are nowhere near the water right now and they will take some major rains to get water back on them now.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Teal

Postby Wildcat » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:37 pm

Hi guys, just found this site...

I hunted in Arkansas saterday and sunday. Limited saterday, 4 guys. Killed 8 Sunday same four guys.

Back home on monday, we killed 5
tuesday killed 5
today killed 8

6 hunters. Killed everything that we could have except for monday we had alittle blow up on a bunch. Not seeing that many birds. We need a front in the worst way. Well maybe tomorrow we'll tear them up.

Later Guys
Wildcat
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:39 am

Hunted weds my water droped a ft since sunday. So i couldn't get to my spot. I hunted anyways and killed one. I will pull the canoe sat and sun and kill limits if weather will let me.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:39 pm

Went out this evening after work. Water was down another foot. didnt see a single bird. hopefully be some saturday.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Teal in St. Tammany

Postby flyawaytaxidermy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:35 pm

I have a house in Slidell and I got fed up with tearing out sheet rock and the sent of toxic mold and went hunting Sunday the 18th. Big Branch Marsh is completely torn up. There are clumps of grass everywhere and places where there was land, there are only clumps of grass. There are parts of camps and boats from Carr Drive littering the marsh and it was just a complete mess. Amazingly, I did see three teal (they came in a flock) so I dropped one and then the second shot was a dud because the shells I had were submerged by Katrina's storm surge. There are some big ducks around there. I saw probably 10 or 12 woodies and 5 or 6 big ducks. No grass in the ponds obviously. Well, that was St. Tammany's teal opener.
flyawaytaxidermy
Newb

Postby Park Duck » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:36 am

I've hunted big b a couple of times and that's a real shame. I bet you won't have so many freakin people there this yr.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby jasonphoto01 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:45 pm

i hunted big branch last sat and the wildlife and fisheries ran us off. they said the park was closed till biologist could check it out. i too saw alot of big ducks but no teal. that place definently looked different.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting