sword fishing

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

sword fishing

Postby clemaire2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:16 pm

i think i might try a sword fishing in Venice , LA. trip this summer any one ever been
clemaire2
hunter

Re: sword fishing

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:41 am

you talking about the fish...the "swordfish" or going spearfishing at the rigs for snapper, grouper, AJ's, and such?

If you are after the "swordfish"...they had a billfish torney out of Venice first week of june and 3 boats caught 9 swordfish and 11 Blue Marlin..all fish were tagged and released-one was estimated at around 600+ lbs. boat loads of bull dolphin were coming in to the docks.The weather has been calm with these late cool fronts-we hammered the trout on the beach. caught numbers this trip-over 150 trout 1 1/2-3 lbs ...with a couple pushing 4-that all happened two trips in the am...went in for ice,gas,bait and lunch-then out to the rigs 3 days in a row for Red Snapper 3-6 lbs. Fast limits with a 2 fish per person limit...took all of 40 minutes to do it ...when the fish turned on from the chum line...multiple hook-ups were the norm...all the fish were 20-24" fish -good eats!!

If you want to go diving with spear guns...it's awesome down there- you can go for a limit of mangroves 8-13 lbs and red snapper, with a few grouper too...possibly even some cobia and king mackrel around some rigs. If you find some bouys or debris...triple tail and cobia are there...got a buddy that dives outta venice and grand isle often and he has phenominal trips there!! :thumbsup:

pics...
Here's one days box of trout...16" avg. Lucky to get on some trout this trip with the river so high..got lucky and found a pocket of green water with lots of bait on the beach...fish were there!

25 lb. bull red that I had to "Hand Line" to the boat cause a reel gear stripped out on us and the reel "blew-up" with a gigantic backlash...the fish had a small red snapper tail sticking outta the back of it's mouth...

Here's the Red Snapper...

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clemaire2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:39 pm

good hall but yea im talking about the sword fish its self iv been tuna fishing 4 time down there and loved it but want to try some thing different
clemaire2
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:42 pm

I don't know of a guide that targets swordfish exclusively-but I know that guides catch them as by-catch fishing for marlin. I'll ask around next time we are down there...Peace Marvel's camp is right next to ours ...as well as a few other good guides... :thumbsup:
One boat in that rodeo caught 9 swordfish-that might be who I need to talk to, or get you a number and you can call them...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clemaire2 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:26 pm

there is a guide that worked for peace at one time and i cant remember his last name but Billy will sword fish and Brett Falterman both great guides
clemaire2
hunter

Postby bpitcher » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:27 am

You should try Eddie Burger. I've fished tuna with him several times and he has always gone out of his way to put us on fish. He seems to have the swords figured out as well.

His website is: http://www.fishvenice.com/
GOT GEESE?

Brad Pitcher
979-318-2593
http://www.thirdcoastoutfitters.com
bpitcher
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:37 am

thanks ill look him up if i get the chance to go
clemaire2
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I don't know of a guide that targets swordfish exclusively-but I know that guides catch them as by-catch fishing for marlin. I'll ask around next time we are down there...Peace Marvel's camp is right next to ours ...as well as a few other good guides... :thumbsup:
One boat in that rodeo caught 9 swordfish-that might be who I need to talk to, or get you a number and you can call them...
Chit, Indaswamp...who needs a guide??? We can just go with you :yes: Was that an oil rig in the background? Nice specks man..nice. Nice drum too buddy :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:56 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I don't know of a guide that targets swordfish exclusively-but I know that guides catch them as by-catch fishing for marlin. I'll ask around next time we are down there...Peace Marvel's camp is right next to ours ...as well as a few other good guides... :thumbsup:
Chit, Indaswamp...who needs a guide??? We can just go with you :yes: Was that an oil rig in the background? Nice specks man..nice. Nice drum too buddy :beer:

Yep, That's an oil rig...and you couldn't pay me enough to guide for specks and reds-too much B.S. ....too many non-fishermen with novice f-ups....hooks in arms/legs lines tangling, complaining, etc.....
not worth the money to me. But I do enjoy taking new people-on my own terms ...not as a paid service.

And clemaire-I talked to one on Peace marvel's guides -daryl...he said that swordfishing is about like catfishing....they put out 4 lines at different depths and drift bottom structure..... not much action like trolling for marlin, sails, etc...lot's of boredom-and beer drinking. He did say that that one of peace's guides has them figured out and does well with them....Dale or darryl was the guy's name..If you go down to peace's camp-ours is the one with the new boat pier on white foam blocks-2 down from peace.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby clemaire2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:22 pm

are you in cypress cove iv always met my guides there i never seen peaces place
clemaire2
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 pm

clemaire2 wrote:are you in cypress cove iv always met my guides there i never seen peaces place

Venice Marina...They had a charter go out thursday night and they caught 3 swordfish, and some yellowfins...swords were big-150-200lbs. First time I've seen one up close....bluewater is finally starting to move in with the river slowing down....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting