Cajun Smoked/Baked Canada Goose-Awesome

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Cajun Smoked/Baked Canada Goose-Awesome

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:41 pm

Pullin stuff out a da freezer and cookin it. Been going through it fast as we can to make room for the coming hunting season.
We Had 1 whole Canada goose left to roast...So Smoked/Baked Canada goose it was. And MAN was it good!!!

After the goose is totally thawed-very important step- take a long thin fillet knife and separate the fat layer from the breast and thighs as best you can taking care not to pierce the skin. This loosening of the connective tissue really allows the fat to baste the breast well and allows the fat to drain off crisping the skin nicely to form a shell that will keep the bird moist.

I followed this recipe
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/poultry/goose01.htm

except I prepped the bird the night before injecting with a little-not too much-cajun injector roasted garlic and herb and seasoned with a little "Dis n Dat" poultry seasoning inside and out. Then I placed the bird on a rack over a pan with a 2" lip and placed in the frig uncovered to allow the bird to dry/drain all the blood and water off, and to tenderize the bird with the marinade...

Then get your smoker fired up to around 225-275 and heavy smoke with pecan wood chips for one hour. pull the bird off and finish in the oven per the recipe....I used less herbs than the recipe called for cause I injected the bird-about 1 tsp. of each dry herb...

Served it with a bottle of our family wine...A full bodied Amarone- and It was outstanding!!! I can't wait to go back in ealy Dec. to shoot some more!!!
Last edited by Indaswamp on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Cajun Smoked/Baked Canada Goose-Awesome

Postby jasonphoto01 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 am

After I read this I checked my phone and "nope" no text invite or missed call. J/K man that sounded awesome...next time add pics!
jasonphoto01
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting