Duck Hunting Forum banner

WHAT TO HELL IS UP...

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BLACKDUCK 
#1 ·
Saturday was my third duckhunt of the season , checked by wardens again.. thats 2 out of 3 times . and checked very thorough at that gun, lic., stamps, ammo, (pockets and box) gang box on boat,dog, etc. not to mention they pulled me over in my boat on the way out.

#2 ·
My brother was stopped by federal and state wardens the other day. Whlie looking over his equipment (includding running every shell through a device that detects lead!) one of them dropped this Benelli Nova into a 2 foot deep mud puddle . . . he then to add insult to injury wrote him a ticket for NOT signing his duck stamp!

Ahhh, I just love game wardens. . . NOT!!

#3 ·
WOW... I did get a warning for not signing my stamp but, about the time one of them dropped my gun he would be swimming.. I aint kidding.. I work my *** off to go by the rules , and they always treat me like i am an out law...

#4 ·
There were some shots at 6:17pm last week (not even close to legal), as my nephew and I were heading back to shore after an unsuccessful afternoon. As we pulled our boat onto a friend's lawn near the boat landing, the warden came flying into the driveway. He questioned us, and and gave our licenses and gear the once over. I assured him it wasn't us.

He said there was still a truck at the landing, so he gave us the benefit of the doubt. That's when he saw their boat heading for the ramp. He was waiting for them, and from what I understand, had quite a field day. Two guys from Mass., with no duck stamps or life jackets, hunting after dark... There's one you like to see... :yes:

#5 ·
Yes. those are the ones that need to be bagged. but they should not point the finger at you and just assume. over the recent years they have taken thier own dog through the woods behind were i was set up. peeled off my jacket, waders , shirts, and searched them and all through my boat . because they heard me shoot and they knew i already had 1 black duck they said i shot another one.. not happy . i said no they said then what were u shooting at? I said they make more than 1 kind of duck , AND you will never strip search me again with out a warrant.. Yes technically even they do need one..

#6 ·
Well, Blackduck....you must have euiter said something, been a wise-ass or look like a dirtball (Iknow, looks shouldn't matter).....'cause EVERY encounter I have had in the field has been VERY positive....and I usually gleen some good information about locations, who owns what property etc. I like the GW's, appreciate their work and want them out there! And NO, they do not need a warrant! GW's have the highest level of discretion and can just about do anything they want.

I mean ....why push it with them.....you will NEVER win!

#7 ·
Well duckhunter no i said nor did nothing to be smart with them untill i was strip searched because i fired a shot.... (may be it is my looks i dont know) yes i agree there are some good ones , I know 2 personally but there are some bad ones too. some are very cocky and throw thier weight around like the young cops with the boy scout hair cut.. when i talk to the good ones who do a good job i say why dont you patrol MMB a little harder there are some fools out there definatly getting more than thier 1 black duck .. you know as well as the rest of us its alot of extra work to play by the rules I play by the rules and always have. thats why i get irratated when i get picked over beynd the means. stamps, lic., steel, registrations x 2, gas , guns,dogs, all added up is alot of $ dont ruin my hunt .. A normal check hi how ya doin , be polite be gone thats what they should do..

#8 ·
Well duckhntr again, you did have me wondering a little about the warrent thing , I was pretty sure of myself thats why I didnt bring it up in my last post. But, I just got off the phone with my MOTHER IN LAW.. she said a warden does have to get a search warrent to search your home, vehicle, but not personally.. they can check you personally on suspition with out warrent but if they do it dont hold up well in court.. Every body tninks wardens have all that right . yes more power than a cop, they will get granted 98% of all search warrents they ask for but , they cant come to your home or truck and search it with out one technically... OH YEAH did I mention my mother in law is a Maine distict court JUDGE.. Yeah I hunt by the rules...

#9 ·
Blackduck,your Mother-in-law is a Judge!!I'll bet that helps keep a man on good terms with his better half. :eek: .
Sorry,just kidding.Couldn't resist.

I've only had a few encounters with CO's and none of them were anything like yours.But I have heard of others having less than ideal encounters as well.Can't really comment on situations I wasn't involved in but I am sure that putting your best foot forward ,as DUKHTR said,will help a great deal regardless of what attitude the CO takes.

Hope the rest of your season goes smoother!

#10 ·
dogman,
that was a good come back :toofunny:
you all must understand my good foot is always forward. always. but when it gets started towards me (i am defensive) it will get finished by me warden or not .. like i say i go by the rules, my hunting lic. guns , $, is way too much value to me to loose them. besides mother inlaw would hang me out to dry faster than some one she didnt know. dont get the wrong impression , i just dont like being accused of things i didnt do. and only 15% of my warden encounters have been bad , and thats over 25 years at MMB, and casco bay..

I didnt mean to rattle chains on this subject I just wanted to know if any one else had alot of encounters this season so far... :thumbsup:

#11 ·
I haven't personally had any encounters with IFW this season but in the past I would have to say that most have been reasonably good.

Do have an interesting landowner story however. This morning we arrived back to the truck (parked at a canoe cary indicated on the Gaz) to see that someone had placed a note on the windshield that read the area was "private" property and that we needed to next time make sure to park on the road. Now this area was not marked at all or were there any fences. I realize that I am making a mountain out of a mole hill but this stuff really "Ps" me off. If you have a problem with people on your property DON'T say something after the fact. . .

#12 ·
:salude: Let me throw my 2 cents worth in about Game Wardens...... A small percentage I've come in contact with have what I call that Accusing Personality. Everytime they ask you a question if feels like they are accusing you of something. Usually it's the younger GWs. Back when I was in the military and wore the badge we used to call it the "Wyatt Earp Syndrome". Most of them are good guys who are working hard to do a good job protecting the resources. We all get wiser with age, even Game Wardens. Game Wardens still have to follow the law as far as search and seizure and need probable cause to get a warrant. They seem to bend the law more than other law enforcement officers. They can search the immediate area where you are to ensure their personnal safety. Anything illegal found during that type of search was always admissable in court. It's incidental to a legal search. Well I've rambled on more than I intended. Must be the rum and coke. Whether moose hunting, fishing, or waterfowl hunting, the GWs I've come in contact with have been courteous and professional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.