Maine opening day!!!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Maine opening day!!!

Postby Dogman » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:19 pm

Got out early this morning and got a limit before 7:45,real thick fog but it didn't slow down the birds.They came in big numbers.Nice beginning to the season :thumbsup: .
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NewFowler » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:51 pm

Dogman,
I live in Portland and I'm new to the duck game. In fact, I was just out yesterday morning with a friend and his dog in Winterport. We were puddle duck shooting and I shot my first mallard, which made for a great, "real" first time out.
I am working on getting all of the gear and a decent decoy setup, but my biggest problem is that I have NO DOG! :thumbsdown:
So if I want to hunt on my own, my canoe would have to suffice as my retriever. In your opinion, should I not even bother, or is this a feasable way to hunt? Are there Any good ways to meet other duck hunters in Southern Maine?
I've been scouting around the Scarborough Marsh area for some local hunting spots... would you recommend the area?
I realize I've loaded this post with questions... thanks in advance if you can offer any help!
NewFowler
Newb

Postby Dogman » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:28 pm

First off welcome aboard Newfowler :welcome: ,congrats on your first duck.Hopefully it is the first of many :thumbsup: No dog,then your next best bet is a canoe,as long as you handle it well a canoe is a great duck hunting asset.A dog is great to have and a bit more convenient than a canoe or boat for retrieves but you can hunt successfully without one.Scarborough Marsh is excellent for duck and goose,especially as the season gets on and the inland waterways ice up.If you don't mind a good day of hiking then you can walk along the tidal creeks during outgoing/low tide and jump ducks as you come upon them,on the bigger creeks you can drift in the canoe the same way.Shooting from a canoe can be a challenge and you might want to practice a bit if you haven't already,save yourself an embarrassing dunking or worse.Other duck hunters in southern Maine?Well,we're around but not as nearly numerous as deer or upland hunters are.I believe theres a DU chapter in Portland and that could be a starting point,local gun clubs like Scarborough's could have a few too.As for myself,I'm hopeing to get a commitee together to have a DU banquet in the Southern Maine/York County area and am on the lookout for waterfowlers to help out.Hope this helps,got any more questions just ask! :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting