merrymeeting bay

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

merrymeeting bay

Postby puddleduck » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:18 am

went to merrymeeting bay for the first time yesterday afternoon. I put my boat in bowdoinham and went down river to the bay. I have an 18'lund alaskan and it was near low tide. I had a hard time gettiing around due to the low water could not get anywhere near the wild rice flats so I really didn't even get set up. Anybody have any suggtions how to hunt the bay with my boat or is it useless to hunt with it and need a smaller boat?

Also not a whole lot of ducks flying. 4 or 5 large flock of teal and a few blacks and mallards here and there.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:08 am

The Bay isn't my area but I could suggest that you do a scout trip and find the places your looking for,also as the season comes along and colder weather sets in the big water should get more action.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Merrymeeting Bay

Postby duckmann » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:37 am

There are two main access points to the Bay one at Bowdoinham and a smaller one at the old Wardens camp down toward the mouth of the Abagassett river.

I access the bay in a small 12 footer with a 3.5 hp Nissan from both landings AND still have to work the tides. In your Alaskan you would really need to stick to the larger channels unless it is high tide. If you can hit a morning where the tide is HIGH or almost high and incoming you will be able to access many areas of the bay. Make sure you are careful I have gone through a fist full of shear pins this season!

Duckmann
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:54 pm

as duckman notes....you need to work the tide....in fact the majority of good hunters on the Bays will hunt the tide and not the clock!!! You will, over time, develop known areas for birds on the high tide and other areas where they will be at low tide......tide is the key IMO In addition, a sneak boat or layout such as my Chesapeake or a Merrymeeting is the ideal skiff for thos waters....I am no expert about that Bay and have only hunted there a couple dozen times over the past few years, but the smaller fully grassed boats/blinds are pretty much a must. But be careful in a smaller craft...the wind and current/tide can be very forceful at times!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting