Diverted from Marsh to Woodland

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Diverted from Marsh to Woodland

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:57 am

I took a break from the water yesterday and ventured into the woods with the .308. Got out behind the house around 3 and sat overlooking a three-way intersection of trails. Wind quartering to me, so I got comfortable and just at sunset caught a flash of white. A deer was on the way. I got the scope on it and noted a rack. He was come towards me and going a little right to left. He stopped his trot about 30 yards away and I squeezed off a round. He ran about fifty feet and collapsed. Symnetrical eight point - 18" spread with heavy main beams - 189lbs dressed. A regal and handsome buck!

Now, back to the marshes! I'm planning on a hunt Saturday out on Casco Bay.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

8 point deer

Postby Dogman » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:08 pm

Congrats DUKHTR,I'm a bit jealous though,my deer hunting experience this year has been somewhat less successful and a bit more comical.Congrats again :)
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:54 am

Comical? Let's hear what happend "DOG"! Had some venison sausage last night for dinner and it was excellent. I had the deer butchered at LaFlamme & Son. They are VERY professional and do a great job. They're just down the road from you in Arundel off Rt111.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:41 pm

My experiences to date have been about being in the right place with the wrong gun.First I'm setting up on a pond with decoys for duck while a big doe is watching me from about 60 ft away without any concern at all,she finally wanders off after getting bored.No ducks that day.So next trip is for deer,with my Rem. 788 bolt action 308. set up near a well used trail but the deer must have caught my scent because they detour around me.Add to that I hear shotguns banging away at shaker pond. :oops: Anyway I'm hoping I've got my uncoordinated days out of my system.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:40 am

Ouch! I used to carry a slug in the pocket just in case I had an encounter when the seasons crossed. Got a small buck in CT that way a few years ago. I was out in a cornfield for geese and took a walk alon the edges to get warm and stumbled into a forkhorn at about twenty yards. He just stood there and stared at me while I was able to reload. Kinda wierd, but I got him.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting