Totaly confused on limits

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Totaly confused on limits

Postby redeyed » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:31 pm

Can you guys give a newby a hand? I'm confused on the daily bag limits
The way I read it your allowed 4 regular ducks (please define regular ducks?) sea ducks is 7 with a few listed inclusions, pintails and canvas backs 1 (is that one each or are they grouped in the same catagory?)
then brant 2.... whats a brant? I'll look it up!!
Okay thats what I see as a total of 14 / 15 ducks.. or am I way off and in need of a clue?
I know I'd be happy with a few a day and I'm no way near good enough to bag a limit so high but I would like to know.

Hey thanx for reading!!
do you walk to work or do you take your lunch?
redeyed
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:41 pm

Hi Redeyed

Hope this helps

you can shoot 4 regular ducks 6 if a least two of them are teal

Regular ducks include mallards, teal, blacks, pintail, wigeon, buffleheads,

goldeneyes(whistlers), scuap etc: Blacks, cans, pintails, are each and not grouped together.

Brant are a small coastal goes and have not found a huntable number in this state.

Sea ducks are Eiders and scooters only 5 can be eiders and 4 scooters

You can also include an additional 5 mergs in your bag limit but I do not really believe they are worth shooting

Good Luck Hunting
Puddleduck
puddleduck
hunter

thank you

Postby redeyed » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:01 pm

Hey thanx for the reply!
redeyed
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:36 pm

I would recommend getting a good picture chart listing the species of Ducks and Geese.A bird book like petersons is handy to study,good info about the birds too.Identification is essential or else you could wind up on the wrong side of the law. :eek: We have decent #'s of Brant but they move out early so there is lttle or no opportunity for them.You're not likely to encounter seaducks unless you're right on the ocean,rarely see them inland very far if at all.Most limits on "regular" ducks,puddlers not divers,will be mallard and black.Wood ducks are numerous in the early part of the season but move south sooner,same goes for Teal.By second season you will most likely be seeing only Blacks and Mallards,heavy emphasis on Black duck.Maine is thick with them but since thier traditional range and numbers have been reduced they get lots of protection.Since the black looks a lot like the hen Mallard it can be easily mistaken for one,so be carefull :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

sea ducks

Postby redeyed » Tue Oct 19, 2004 7:32 pm

I see... Sea ducks..... :toofunny:
No really I live right on the Kenebec up in Richmond at the head of Merrymeating bay in late november I see Sea ducks up at this lil spot on the river that never freezes but the current is scary well I think they are sea duck I'll have to take a better look at them this year! the eagles hang out in the trees all around this water spot I asume waiting for a duck to step out of line..
Can I hunt sea ducks on the river? in late November or even January? the ducks are white on the sides with black on the backs.. thats all I really remember about them.. like I said I'll have to look at them a lil harder this year.
Hey BTW.... I'm really glad this site exists! it's been a real eye opener in many ways!
Thanks again!!
redeyed
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:25 pm

According to the regs you can hunt Seaduck in coastal waters and waters of rivers and streams seaward from the first upstream bridge.In all otrher areas,sea ducks may be taken only during the regular duck season dates and are part of the regular duck bag limits.The bonus with seaduck is that the season last till Jan 31,thats when the birds come into full plumage and they are beautiful!Common Eider are the largest duck in North America and they make a great trophy mount,not so great eating but you can't have everything.Those birds you described could be Eider but I can be certain,run a search on the net for "Duck images" and you'll come up with several sites that offer good ID images.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting