This week's hunt prospects...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

This week's hunt prospects...

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:52 am

I'll be out on Casco Bay again in the morning and will try to get out on the ocean Saturday in NH. I'll send a report in on Monday morning!

Hope you are all getting in some good shooting before it really gets cold. Last night it was in the 50's here in Maine. Lot's of rain, so I am hoping that the ducks are not heading back inland. They were starting to stage into the brackish and salt marshes.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:45 am

Friday went pretty good, but I only got a black. Rainy and windy out of the north east. Was able to launch even though the waves were crashing the launch and heading into the chop. Got to my spot at about 6 and set up for geese and ducks. Had birds in the decoys before I even got the boat stashed. All blacks - all morning!

When will our F&G get on the ball regarding the one bird limit on blacks!!!??? I think this limit has been in force for at least twenty years and I am a bit frustrated when out on the tidal water and the blacks are all over the place. I know this is an old subject, but with their numbers at an all time high, we should get at least a second!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Black ducks.....

Postby Dogman » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:49 pm

The one bird limit is a real annoyance for sure,not only that but the early season has the no shoot rule on black duck.Each new season my lab comes out of the bushes with a black duck in his mouth that someone shot then dumped. :x What a waste!They should lighten up on the limit for blackies,especially in late season since we are loaded with them.They should also let them be part of the bag in the opener also,just as the rest of the N.E. states do.The Canadians get to take 4 of them.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting