Define a good spot

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Define a good spot

Postby redeyed » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:20 am

Hey I'm new (as most of you can tell) to duck hunting. I'm hunting in a spot that I can only hunt on appropriate tides and I need another spot! Now I'm looking at a few fresh water marshes but I'm uncertain on duck habbits on these waters. They look ducky to me! lol
One spot is a totaly fresh water marsh thats fed from pleasant lake in the Richmond, Litchfield area Maine Gazetteer map 12 the pond runs alongside rt 201 and the marsh is south of the pond. Now this looks to me like a great duck spot the marsh runs from north to south. But I honestly don't have a clue if the ducks use it or not!
I feel like such a shhhmuck about all of this but if I don't ask I'll never know!
I have another spot that is tidal as well but it's so secluded I'd think the ducks would chose it as a great feeding or resting spot but again I have no idea! but it's a long creek that is very marsh like on the banks and I'm sure the grass is flooded during high tide... there is allot of dead wood as you go farther up into the marsh and allot of pools on the sides in the timber? is it ducky? well I'm hopin you tell me!!
do you walk to work or do you take your lunch?
redeyed
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:43 am

How "ducky" are those spots?Well they don't sound bad to me.The only way you are going to find out is hunt them or at least scout those areas and see what happens.Lots of foot work involved but thats how you can answer those kind of questions.When the tide is down on your favorite high tide spot you can switch to jump shooting,basically you walk the edges of creeks keeping an eye on the water in the creek bottom for signs of ducks and when you locate birds you adjust your approach to get close and "jump" them at good gunning range.Takes a little practice to get the hang of it but rocket science it isn't.Some of my best places are not all that big but they work out well.Try them out,you might find a new honey hole for yourself.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting