South Half

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

South Half

Postby redeyed » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:51 pm

Whats shakin Guys?> South end has shut down for a few weeks so what are you doing to fill the gap?
do you walk to work or do you take your lunch?
redeyed
hunter

Postby buschwacker82 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm going to be looking for some north zone spots, since its not that far away from me.. as well as heading to kakodjo for some partridge...
buschwacker82
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:28 pm

Upland birds and maybe a Deer hunt if the crowds thin out some.The dog loves chasing them Ruffs,he's a nut for birds!
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

North Zone

Postby duckmann » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:18 am

Hey guys,

I am planning to head to the coast to pound the sea ducks (Eiders mostly). Haven't had a chance to see if they are yet arriving in the bays in large numbers so I hope my luck holds out. Am going to try and do some scouting on Wednesday in prep of the weekend.

Anyone on the list seen if the sea ducks are moving in from off shore?

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:01 pm

should've been south of the Saco on Saturday....if you had enough bxlls to get around the corner.....there were probably 500 or more eider along Hills Beach and the islands just off the shore.......There was also a bunch across from Cape Elizabeth that day....but I had to abort my plans due to the launch at Bug Light being 'swamped'....I was alone and Casco Bay was whippin' on that North wind....that's what happens, the birds are plentiful on the days you can only glass your spot!!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Sea Duck Blues

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:11 pm

Yeah with my little 12 footer and 3.5 hp I really have to pick my spots when on the ocean. We primarily hunt small bays and have several spots depending on the wind direction and tide. I did see about 1000 (NO JOKE) Eiders around Schoodic National Park on the loop road but as soon as the park boundry ended none were to be found. I think they have been "educated". . . :)

Hey do any of you guys use a "call" when diver hunting? I rolled a few notes through my Mallard call the other day at our only taken Eider and he turned and flew right into the spread. Was this just a very fortunate accident?!?!?!?
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:07 am

I had a great experience a couple years ago, was literally surrounded by about 300 eider....and they were making a gutteral cooing .....and it was loud....quite an experience

I guess you can try calling with a bbrrrrrr type of sound and I have mouth called at long-tails.....but decoys are the key to draw them (along with a flag and staying still)
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Flagging?

Postby duckmann » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:24 am

I have heard of people flagging at Eiders but was unsure of exactly how it all works? How big should the flag be, what color, how often should you flag, flag shape, etc.

Also, does it work on other sea duck species? We have been thinking of bringing a mojo out with us to create more movement. . . has anyone tried this before on the open sea?

I also made several 2 foot Eider silhouettes this summer and they look great on the water. . . made my own pattern if anyone is interested.

Does anyone have an oldsquaw silhouette pattern they could share?
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:30 pm

duckmann.....Absolutely, flag, flag and keep on flaggin'!!!!! Scoter are even more responsive....unlike flagging for geese, I have flagged at scoter up until the shot......although remember, this is when hunting from a boat, not from a ledge or rockpile. I use a basic cottonduck canvas square on a dowel....have waved my hat too....just some sort of motion that is not human. I think it is 18" x 18"??

I am not much of a spinner fan, but I guess one of thoes floaters would work......can't hurt to try....if it doesn't cut it, bring it into the boat!

Thanks for the offer....I have several sled sets to go along with my full bodies. Easy to make the long-tails.....just do the same as with the scoters or eider.

I think we will need to PM soon duckmann!!!!!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Flaggin'

Postby duckmann » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:58 pm

I think you have helped me to identify what I have done wrong in the past. I hunt primarily on ledges which tend to be more stable, secure, comfortable and ultimately safer. . . with my current 12 footer. When I tried flagging in the past I basically put a black T-shirt on a big stick and waved like it was on fire. The birds would frequently flare and generally look unimpressed. Now I realize that flagging is only really effective from a boat.
duckmann
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting