This weekends hunting (Mid coast)

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

This weekends hunting (Mid coast)

Postby puddleduck » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:14 pm

Had a great sea duck hunt friday am 4 of each shot our limit of Eiders within an Hour and half. Lots of birds. Also hunted fresh water Saturday afternoon at quntabacook lake didnt fire a shot only had 1 flock of a dozen birds fly over way high.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:25 pm

Congrats on the Seaducks :thumbsup: ,your second hunt sounds more like mine as of late,birds flying high and away.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Hunting Style?

Postby duckmann » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:32 am

PD, Where you hunting from a boat or off ledges? Were you close to the mainland or more out and off the outer islands? Just trying to get an idea if the Eiders are finally moving into the inner bays in large numbers?
duckmann
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:18 am

Down on the southern-most part of the state....along the Piscataqua....I hunted a small creek for the first time....high tide.....didn't even get a look....had some buffies off the mouth, but I had set my puddlers on the inside.....saw a coupla blacks zooming on the river and a flock of possibly scaup (they were white and dark) but I was too far for a good id....spent the afternoon at Hilton Park with a crew of waterfowlers eating venison, teal, pheasant, and stag (thank again Dogman for the pics) and we only saw buffies and one single black.

Might not bother with NH's openner on Wednesday....will be heading to CT for three hunts.....reports are very positive for both ducks and canadas!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Dogman » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:04 pm

I only saw three mergs fly over as I was throwing the bumper for my dog in the river the other day.Next week I got more time off and I hope to do something about it in the way of ducks and geese.Oct was great but Nov has been a big let down,plus now that deer season is coming to a close I can get back out into the marshes without any ridiculous orange on.
That get together was great!Good food,good company and lots of good rigs to check out.My lab was one happy well fed pup by days end,he really enjoyed getting attention from so many people! :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddleduck » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:30 pm

Duckmann. We were hunting out of a layout boat which was a first for me I usually hunt off of ledges or boat blind. We hunted near the outer islands and the birds are still out quite a ways.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:38 am

puddle.....your note bolsters what was occurring in NH on Saturday morning.....had some friends out and they were disappointed by seeing birds out over open water and not too much close to shore......I believe they only got one long-tail! Lot's of scoters asd eider, just well off shore.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Thanks!

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:59 am

PD and DH,

Thanks for the info. it makes me rethink my plans of hitting the ocean tomorrow. Will instead try my luck on a few of the ponds in the central area. Maybe try the ledges in a few more weeks.

Layout boat must have been a very different hunting experience! Obviously the hunting was good. . . how comfortable are those things?

DM
duckmann
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:23 pm

Duckmann

They are very comfortable almost like hunting out of a lounge chair something I could lay in all day. The only thing I did not like about it was their were no dog involved. duck hunting is just not the same without a dog.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:01 am

Puddle... What are you using for a layout??? I have an MLB Classic and I can tell you this....it is not a lounge in any fashion. I have a folding back rest with padding that helps alot, but after an hour or so, it is a pleasure to see the tender coming to stretch the back and legs!

I also use a Chesapeake layout/sneak (fully grassed with wings and flappers) and the same thing...although I use a rubber mat on the flooring which cushions a bit. After an hour or two, I get out and take a walk to get the blood flowing again.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddleduck » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Duckhtr

This was not my layout boat as this was my first time hunting from one. But I believe this was a homemade job cut down from a regular wooden boat hull. 2 man setup and very stable and comfortable.
puddleduck
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting